Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1714481573999.png

This reads like the mafia lmao

I didn’t think of that. IIRC, that’s in Buffalo New York.
Maybe the prefab supercharger production process needs a lot less personnel now due to automation.
The leaked mail makes it sound like Tesla is stopping the rollout of the supercharger network. Let’s hope that’s not the case and it’s related to productivity increases.
In theory it could be partly to deal with the (temporary) reduction in rate of increase of EV adaption, but youre prob onto something (I hope) with a productivity gain. Ive dealt with one of the teams doing the site selection, permitting etc and that has to stay in-house. It's crucial to get that stuff right. Also critical are repairs/maintenance to avoid the issues with out of commission chargers that plague the other companies and have added fuel to FUD fire on EV ownership being "difficult." Installation can be easily outsourced, sure. Just not the post-installation inspections because we need to keep the current high standards of reliability.
The reported number sounds high and is probably overstated.
If it IS accurate though, and was done to conform to this supposed rule about laying off everyone under a manager who doesn't meet standards, then it's an unusually incompetent approach to management. The Supercharger network is one of the jewels in the crown, not just of Tesla but of the entire universe of EV. It's not something to slash at wildly.

Last edited:
I stopped watching his videos when I realized it is far faster to go to the light and turn left with all the other cars seen in Google street view instead of trying to be quicker but more dangerous even as a human driver. It's a whopping .2 miles. During rush hour probably actually faster than waiting, definitely safer.View attachment 1042962
Chuck said in a recent video that he has never seen an accident at his UPL, but there have been several serious crashes at the nearby intersection with a stoplight. I expect that driver’s get to comfortable being “protected” by a stop light, only to have a driver run the light and hit them at high speed. At the UPL driver’s have to be hyper alert and are less likely to not see speeding traffic.

GSP

If you plan carefully and do enough pre-production you can start regular production at a good clip. When Ford switched the F-150 to aluminum they stopped production on August 24, 2014. They stripped the factory down to the studs, installed all new equipment, tested the new line, built pre-production trucks then restarted at full speed (1400/day) on November 11.

From the data published by another poster, I can see that the MSRP to invoice difference is anywhere between 3 and 8%.
In normal times it's very unusual for US dealers to sell at MSRP. Niche cars like Ferrari and Porsche are exceptions, but mainstream dealers often sell at or even below "dealer invoice". (Backdoor payments like holdback offset purported losses.) BMW, Audi, etc. usually don't run splashy "$15,845 below MSRP" ads like you see from others, but they discount leases aggressively which ends up in the same place without looking as lowbrow. Last I looked, before the Covid follies, new car sale margins averaged 2-3% in the US. Dealers make most of their money on financing, hard-selling extended warranties, used car sales and service.

There are a bunch of publicly traded new car dealership groups, including Autonation (AN), Penske (PAG), Lithia (LAD) and Asbury (ABG). NADA also publishes some US dealer data.

Chuck said in a recent video that he has never seen an accident at his UPL, but there have been several serious crashes at the nearby intersection with a stoplight. I expect that driver’s get to comfortable being “protected” by a stop light, only to have a driver run the light and hit them at high speed. At the UPL driver’s have to be hyper alert and are less likely to not see speeding traffic.

GSP
Or just the sample size for the U turn is much higher than the UPL so this is not some kind of scientific research here.

• Informative
Reactions: jerry33 and GSP
Ask yourself how much more efficient building a factory home is rather than building a home on site. Now remind yourself how Tesla is making prefabricated superchargers.

I'm asking myself how anyone can know how long their job is at Tesla because again, it's your manager, or manager's manager or director and the chain all being cut. Of course, this can all be blown out of proportion and all lies as well, but people leaving a company isn't something you can lie about for long for folks who knows them.

Next stop north on I-35 from Ardmore, OK is Oklahoma City - NE 36th St, OK, 99.5 miles away.
South is Denton, TX 69 miles away.
Closest in any direction is Denison, TX 62.6 miles.
And if you really need efficiency in an emergency you can get off the Interstate to get extra range. US-77 parallels I-35.

But yes, we need more density. That's part of why NEVI's target is 50 miles or less separation.
The ones in Oklahoma City are a pain to get to from I-35. Yes, you can do it, but it's not fun. Correct, US-77 is next to I-35, and I used to drive it before Tesla forced Interstate driving (It's much more pleasant because there are few 18 wheelers.) But you have to do a lot of back tracking to get to a Supercharger, so you don't really save any range by doing it. (I've thought about it many times.)

After the 30 day free FSD trial, many will miss how they had the coolest tech and need to continue showing it off on their next date, or with friends, family... people. They're naming their cars and it is becoming part of the family. (That's what they will think is the reason, but FSD is a drug playing tricks on them all.)

If they still don't renew, they'll get tired of hearing: "Hey, I heard this car can drive itself!" "Uh, No" "Oh. So it's an old one.... or you couldn't afford it?"

Everyone want's to be cool, especially Jay. This is real.

1714483970287.png

The ones in Oklahoma City are a pain to get to from I-35. Yes, you can do it, but it's not fun. Correct, US-77 is next to I-35, and I used to drive it before Tesla forced Interstate driving (It's much more pleasant because there are few 18 wheelers.) But you have to do a lot of back tracking to get to a Supercharger, so you don't really save any range by doing it. (I've thought about it many times.)
You're talking about dealing with an outage caused by a tornado and you disregarded the OKC Superchargers because they're "a pain to get to"?
Did you disregard Denton, TX because they're only V2?

I get that it's not perfect, but when an important node goes out, needs must.