Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The F-150 Lightning Is not what I expected - Anyone else feel the same?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The CT unveiling said it would have 120V, 240V as well as an onboard air compressor. I think most manufacturers will make exceptions for trucks because it's expected functionality. For example Lightning has it, but Mach-E doesn't have V2L.
They also listed the pricing and configurations at the unveiling which are no longer true.

At this point we can never take what Tesla or Elon says at these events or in tweets as gospel. We will never know the full details and specifications of any Tesla product until it’s actually in production and delivered.

They also listed the pricing and configurations at the unveiling which are no longer true.

At this point we can never take what Tesla or Elon says at these events or in tweets as gospel. We will never know the full details and specifications of any Tesla product until it’s actually in production and delivered.
So… what percent chance do you think it will have 240v?

I’d put it at 100%.

Pricing and configs always change because the economy changes from announcement to release, but the general features tend to largely stay the same.

That they mentioned it in the announcement at least shows they are open to the idea and is not having a blanket policy that they will never have V2L in their cars.

I'll probably buy a Lightning at the end of the year as I don't expect my CT order to be filled for another 2yrs. New to the EV world is an understatement for so many Ford EV purchasers. I've been a lurker and lately a participant on a couple of Lightning forums and the misconceptions combined with fear have been crazy. The Lightning winter range loss is not that unusual or sever but the overreaction clearly showed most were not understanding what they were getting into. Made me think of Mike Tyson's comment "It always sounds like a good plan until someone hits you in the face". And folks justified their standard range battery choice (230 miles max charge) until winter and towing range losses became a reality. I do understand that they probably could not afford the additional $ Ford gouged them to get an extended range battery. Many times it required packages the really jumped the price up (sometimes $20k). And the resale value for a std range truck is pretty abysmal. Not the the extended range is anything to brag about. God I saw a couple post a Youtube "Lightning towing an Airstream" video with a standard range truck. They started with about 150 miles and things went downhill from there. No one with real world EV experience would have considered doing this with a std range lightning.

They started with about 150 miles and things went downhill from there. No one with real world EV experience would have considered doing this with a std range lightning.

Yep. I don't excuse Ford for keeping mum about towing range, but I am surprised that buyers did not clue-in from YouTube. That venue is a popular place to get informed (*cough*) and it is chock full of towing videos.

I'll probably buy a Lightning at the end of the year as I don't expect my CT order to be filled for another 2yrs. New to the EV world is an understatement for so many Ford EV purchasers. I've been a lurker and lately a participant on a couple of Lightning forums and the misconceptions combined with fear have been crazy. The Lightning winter range loss is not that unusual or sever but the overreaction clearly showed most were not understanding what they were getting into. Made me think of Mike Tyson's comment "It always sounds like a good plan until someone hits you in the face". And folks justified their standard range battery choice (230 miles max charge) until winter and towing range losses became a reality. I do understand that they probably could not afford the additional $ Ford gouged them to get an extended range battery. Many times it required packages the really jumped the price up (sometimes $20k). And the resale value for a std range truck is pretty abysmal. Not the the extended range is anything to brag about. God I saw a couple post a Youtube "Lightning towing an Airstream" video with a standard range truck. They started with about 150 miles and things went downhill from there. No one with real world EV experience would have considered doing this with a std range lightning.
Resale doesn't seem abysmal at all. I'm seeing 60k for a fairly base model used Lightning.

Over the years I’ve had each of those trucks. I thought I’d never get another Ford, but I liked the one Lightening Pro I looked at, and will consider one once the Silverado and Ram are out to compere.
There are more reasons than this, but as soon as I saw the Ford can be optioned with over 9kW AC power out at both 120 and 240v, Cybertruck was out of the running.
It is pretty amazing for running equipment

Resale doesn't seem abysmal at all. I'm seeing 60k for a fairly base model used Lightning.
Resale is actually crazy. Very expensive. I expect this to fall and for lightning buyers like ourselves to be in a bind just like Tesla 2022 buyers. Purchase prices being so much higher than new prices kills resale. We will hold this truck til it gets 300k miles just like our f350 diesel

Reactions: E90alex
Truck buyers are used to them being great value. Lots of capability, nice interiors, good build quality

This has changed since Covid and inflation. Now they feel overpriced and no longer great value.

Used to be able to haggle with a dealership. Had tons of cars in stock to choose from, sold for about $500 over invoice and styling got better over the years.

Now there is little to choose from. Dealers asking way over list (Market Pricing :( etc.

Inflation has jacked up the pricing as well.

Most truck buyers now feel like they are being bent over due to dealership tactics.

Used to be that buyers felt they got great value, dealerships appreciated their customers, interest rates were low and service after the sale was part of the deal.

Ford realizes that their new lightning will only appeal to a small % of traditional truck buyers. They have priced their trucks to take advantage of these people. Not unreasonable to expect that many of them will feel put off by the lack of value.

Evidently others seem to be holding off as well…

Some Ford EV sales numbers as reported by InsideEVs:

US: Ford More Than Doubled BEV Sales In January 2023

The Ford F-150 Lightning runs consistently above 2,000 units sold per month.

Ford BEV sales in the US - January 2023

NVM I just looked at specs and it uses DC so you need some sort of inverter paired for backup.

Might as well use the generator output.
I need to learn more about the system but a home-installed inverter is just the ticket for me in a location with semi regular storm blackouts. While the generator is much better than freezing in the dark, 9.6kW from a parked truck is far far nicer.

I need to learn more about the system but a home-installed inverter is just the ticket for me in a location with semi regular storm blackouts. While the generator is much better than freezing in the dark, 9.6kW from a parked truck is far far nicer.

The only way to get bidirectional backup through the charger seems to be to pair it with a Sunrun system that they install.

Nothing approaches the upscale top of the line feel of Naugahyde. Harvested from huge naga herds in south America. Over the years auto manufactures moved away from this forcing the ranches to rely solely on the the other extremely delicious byproduct - spam!
But surely their hyde's are not nearly as rare as the fine suede of the magnificent beasts of the Alcantara highlands that bear their namesake, now hunted nearly to extinction by man's insatiable desire for our dashboards and headliners to feel like a well-worn pool table....