Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Then & Now : the original Beta Interface

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What has changed?
the blue colors are kind of nice with the white interior in the video
untitled.JPG

this was from the 2011 vimeo 'building the future' (Tesla Model S - Building The Future on Vimeo)

motor temp + battery temp included
16k - 18k rpm (probably not good for electronics/motor but it could probably do a little more)
'standard mode' - what were the others they were considering, or just a change of layout for regen modes maybe

Mode note: Updated thread title for clarity. I got all excited when I saw "Beta Interface" as there's a few things being (have been) beta tested.

:wink: thanks for the title fix I just re- watched that video and kinda like the blue - although the current display is nice looking I wish it had battery % and the temps of the batt + motor

other thing
regen only shows to 50kW on the old

I think the current display is actually better. Simpler, easier to read. Perhaps all the extra stuff could be exposed through submenus, but less is more sometimes (especially when quickly glancing down for info)

Interesting screenshot! I didn't watch the video (I skimmed around it but didn't find that picture), but from that screenshot and thinking about the interface now, this reminds me that (a) I wish it showed battery % (don't make me do math and guess) and (b) the speedometer is silly. The skewmorphic left side of the "dial" showing an old-fashioned dial of speeds is pointless--does anyone look at that and try to guesstimate their MPH? No, they look at the huge number that tells them how fast they're going. IMHO. ;-)

- - - Updated - - -

P.S. The temperature information is meaningless to me; unless it's clear what's a danger area, and then I prefer a pop-up/warning like I presume the Model S does now...?

The only reason I'd want temps is when playing really hard so I know when things are warming (mainly the battery) and you might get some power limiting

I agree. the new one is much nicer overall. I think I just like the blue colors a little

& there is no reason to have a 'needle' for speed just a # would have less clutter overall -BUT then you couldn't have the cruise control setting indicator

I also like the current display MUCH better but this old Beta could actually give us a glimpse of some of the other future possibilities to come. In that original launch video where the guy gets out of the Frunk I believe Elon said that they wanted to give owners the option of a new dashboard config every year so they don't get bored with their cars. This would ensure the car felt fresh and new. Although I seriously doubt I would take advantage of the new downloadable "skins" for the dashboard I am very curious what they might look like.

I can already picture a new POLL on the site next year: "Which Gauge Cluster Do You Prefer?" I'm excited for all the future possibilities!

To split hairs, that dash display was from the original "Alpha" when it was revealed in March 2009 (it's been 4 years already?! :)).

The Beta was revealed in October 2011 when some of us got to go to the factory and get test rides; the interface in that beta is pretty much what we have today in production but for a few tweaks here and there. The one thing that we lost going from the true Beta to production is this energy display on the main screen that we have discussed before:

IMG_3928-XL.jpg

(Credit: member Charged_Up: My Gallery of the Model S Beta (from Dania Beach, FL)))

Holy crap what an abomination! They really came far since then. Love the current display, that old one looks horrendous. (channeling kinddog's style, but the opinion is mine)

I agree on the screen shot being pretty horrible.

One thing I get a little irritated about is the log scale on the speed analog dial on the current setup. I am sure it is so it mirrors the log scale on the power side (which I think I like) but it always seems like my speed is 'almost full' at all times. Even having the speed just seems to be a symmetry thing for the power meter, with those huge digits in front of you.

To split hairs, that dash display was from the original "Alpha" when it was revealed in March 2009 (it's been 4 years already?! :)).

The Beta was revealed in October 2011 when some of us got to go to the factory and get test rides; the interface in that beta is pretty much what we have today in production but for a few tweaks here and there. The one thing that we lost going from the true Beta to production is this energy display on the main screen that we have discussed before:

View attachment 19213

(Credit: member Charged_Up: My Gallery of the Model S Beta (from Dania Beach, FL)))

Also notice the Wifi and apps icons which are currently not present. Future update? :)

View attachment 19213

Kinda hoping we get that screen back in a future update...along with wifi and apps...

View attachment 19213

Is it possible to see this power view in the current interface? I find it very difficult to tell how much power the HVAC is using.

Is it possible to see this power view in the current interface? I find it very difficult to tell how much power the HVAC is using.

The closest thing I've found is when sitting idle at a stoplight the kW meter needle will remain slightly elevated, bouncing around a little bit usually between 1 and 2kW, from the HVAC usage. Crank the heater up to max and you can really see the needle move up, up to around 5kWh.