Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Third-Party Wheel Aligment Camber (Shims)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't have a service center close to me so taking it to Tesla isn't really an option. I noticed the other day that the toe alignment of the front tires is completely off as the inside of my tires are practically bald while remaining part of the tire is still in good condition. So I went to a local tire shop and had the front tires replaced and a four wheel alignment completed. They fixed the toe issue however they were not able to fix the front camber issue as shims were need to bring the camber into tolerance.

The tire place has been trying to obtain the shims from Tesla, unsurprising to no luck. Does any know if the shims need to be Tesla specific or if any shim kit will work? Has anyone obtained a shim kit from Tesla? I 'm considering calling Tesla directly to obtain the parts needed.

I'm disappointed that the alignment from the factory is so bad that it chewed up two tires and that a local tire place cannot even complete a proper alignment without having to order parts from Tesla.

So what are people with coil over and lowering springs doing about their front camber? I know MPP makes a rear adjustable arm pair to allow for camber and toe adjustment. I just assumed the front had an OEM camber adjustment, but I hadn't gotten my head under there to look.

This is what our alignment specs.

20190523_181906.jpg

Any shim would work. Its just a matter of what the size is and what the max it is.

We have noticed that some Model 3 have more camber on the passenger side.

It does call for -.50 to -1 degree.

Reactions: SeasonedTech
Here is an update to my last post. The alignment computer suggest to add shims to the lower control arm. Well that is not true. Its not for the Model 3.

What our suggestion diagram is using could be the Model S.

Now, I was also told by a Tesla aftermarket coilover company that camber adjustment can be performed from the top plate that holds the upper control arm and the shock. Well, we did not see it ... or we may have missed it.

When you get a bad Caster and Camber angle, your vehicle will have a slight pull. Nothing you can do.

My suggestion is to take your rear tires and place them up front. Sometimes just a simple left to right will help.

I too had an issue with my front tires wearing on the inside. I asked that they adjust the camber but they could not find any way to adjust. Apparently the shims are for the 2017, but not the 2018+. We could not find any way to adjust it. We looked at the upper control arm and if there is a way to adjust it is not in the least obvious. If anyone knows of a way please just let me know.

I too had an issue with my front tires wearing on the inside. I asked that they adjust the camber but they could not find any way to adjust. Apparently the shims are for the 2017, but not the 2018+. We could not find any way to adjust it. We looked at the upper control arm and if there is a way to adjust it is not in the least obvious. If anyone knows of a way please just let me know.

Toe, not camber will wear the insides. The Model 3 does not have stock camber adjustment up front, and little to none out back. The only way to squeeze any camber out of the front is to loosen the upper suspension mounts and shift it one way or another.