Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Needham’s Gill wrote, “Based on our checks, refunds are outpacing deposits as cancellations accelerate”.
Tesla responded, “The notion that Model 3 cancellations are outpacing orders is unequivocally false.”

What could have been Needham's sources for their “checks’? Apparently not Tesla.
maybe he really meant their “checks”.
as in they received their deposit checks back because they cancelled their reservations haha.

their loss!

And yet it's a $78k car, which is still in the price range since 2012. I don't give a *sugar* about the p version. Where is the 35k version for the media that they promoted in 2016? They didn't promote a p version of a smaller S.

If the Model S is any indication (i think it is), the base version contains all the Tesla magic present in the top of the line one, its just not as quick. The 35k car will be just as full of magical Tesla goodness. Probably more so on a per dollar basis. Gonna be a seriously great car.

Agree and disagree.

Agreed that they are losing their ammo about manufacturing, etc.

Disagree your implication that they have not much ammo left: they have very creative and highly productive manufacturing factory to generate new types of ammo, all trying to hit the newly moved goalposts.

The problem is, their ammo miss more and more, and the worst thing yet to come: boomerang back and kill themseleves for good.

Over the 6 years I've been on this forum. I lost track of how many analysts came and went. Most died by their boomerang. (But do you really die if no one is around to observe it and your body is nowhere to be found? )

I still chuckle everytime this forum gets worked up over a new analyst. My response to most if them is "Analyst who?" Nowadays it is transitioning alot into :"Fund manager who?"

The only one I remember fondly is Trio chowdry with his overly optimistic speeches in conference calls that makes even a bull blush. He at least makes the otherwise boring conference calls colorful.

Needham’s Gill wrote, “Based on our checks, refunds are outpacing deposits as cancellations accelerate”.
Tesla responded, “The notion that Model 3 cancellations are outpacing orders is unequivocally false.”

What could have been Needham's sources for their “checks’? Apparently not Tesla.

Probably that guy, Unnamed Source

I think they are probably using the same data as before, some company that pilfers through credit card transaction data and tries to figure out what people are buying/returning.

But you will notice the big difference in wording. Needham talks about "outpacing deposits" while Tesla talks about "outpacing orders".

One possibility is that people are cancelling their $1000 reservation and then placing a $2500 order deposit. (Instead of adding a $2500 deposit to their $1000 reservation.) It ties less money up while they are waiting and also reduces their at-risk money by 29%. (If for some reason they need to cancel after placing their order and getting assigned a VIN.)

I think they are probably using the same data as before, some company that pilfers through credit card transaction data and tries to figure out what people are buying/returning.

But you will notice the big difference in wording. Needham talks about "outpacing deposits" while Tesla talks about "outpacing orders".

One possibility is that people are cancelling their $1000 reservation and then placing a $2500 order deposit. (Instead of adding a $2500 deposit to their $1000 reservation.) It ties less money up while they are waiting and also reduces their at-risk money by 29%. (If for some reason they need to cancel after placing their order and getting assigned a VIN.)

I was wondering the same thing. Be interested in knowing if that's actually the case as it sounds the most plausible.

Reactions: saniflash
...One possibility is that people are cancelling their $1000 reservation and then placing a $2500 order deposit. (Instead of adding a $2500 deposit to their $1000 reservation.) It ties less money up while they are waiting and also reduces their at-risk money by 29%. (If for some reason they need to cancel after placing their order and getting assigned a VIN.)

I phoned the Westmont, Illinois Tesla store last week. A sales agent assured me that by retaining my Model 3 reservation, I would have priority over anyone in our region placing an order with my same configuration but without a reservation. Today I phoned the Highland Park, Illinois Tesla store and a sales agent verified the earlier information.

Of course once that other person's order goes into the production queue, I cannot not bump him/her by placing an order afterward. But when Tesla announces that orders for the smaller battery packs are being accepted, the priority given to those with $1000 reservations could make a huge difference in delivery times.

Last edited:
I guess I shouldn't be surprised at this point by Tesla related FUD. I was nevertheless shocked by how fast the comments section of the positive WSJ article was overrun by hostile comments.
Not like trolls have anything useful to do. And they have to be on top of any positive news. That's what they get paid for.

Status
Not open for further replies.