Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't realize my transcendental meditation class had an optional "How To Become A Professional Short Seller" course.

Mindfulness a.k.a Vipassana whitewashed does indeed give you a heightened sense of others emotional state (If you manages to keep up the practice after the intense lessons, @ 2hours a day, it is almost impossible). But it does not shield you from your own. It does separate you and allows you to understand what you are doing and feeling from a dispassionate point of view, but it doesn't mean a person can be transformed into a good person. If anything, a person understands both the dark and light part of oneself. In the NYT journalist's situation, it augmented his usage of others to his own benefit.

I am just surprised such an amateur in the practice is selling books on the subject. One of my Vagabonding year was dedicated to Vipassana meditation, he is nowhere near ready to be giving other lessons. We call these people false guides. False guides eventually lead their students astray and down the wrong path.

It's probably due to the recent Tim Ferris phenomena. Many people dream of teaching others and pretending to be an expert when they themselves have only put the minimal amount of time to be competent in the subject.

If I were a betting man, I'd bet against you in that bet. It'll be a lot longer than 5 years out here in the sticks.

Bluntly, humans have trouble figuring out where the road is and where they're supposed to drive when parts of the road are obstructed by... all kinds of things. Good luck getting computers to do it. :p

@ neroden I agree but it seems to me that the AI approach would have the car look at a problem it hasn't seen in the same manner as you or i. Sort of scary but how does a computer look at a possible tree falling across a road. With AI is it looking at it the same way you or I would even if it has never seen that situation before? With AI it may not be necessary to have the car have knowledge of all "local" information it may be that AI reacts the same as we do to situations we have not encountered based upon "learning". Just some wild thinking. My favorite example is a dump truck falling off of an overpass. It is obvious how a human reacts to a problem it has not seen before. How does AI react?

I am guessing with the appearance of beachbum and how much was posted. The FUD engine is getting started up again? How many TSLA articles will appear tomorrow on Zerohedge based on how much Beachbum is posting now? 3?

Sigh... I enjoyed one day of no FUD. ONE! And look the stock didn't move at all because of it.

Here is a good read. As one who has recently lost money as the stock came back down, this surprised me. How many of us are a bit guilty of this? Are we at all focused on fundamentals?

Stupid Money Risk Is Real - Tesla Could be Next

You've never posted anything positive for Tesla and in most of your posts you are simply rehashing lies that have been debunked many times. Pretending to be a long here?

Calling Microsoft buying LinkedIn a stupid buy? Wow that's some really serious coach quarterbacking here. The authors shortsightedness is astonishing. I guess you can also say the same thing with Apple's acquisition of Siri, Facebook's buying of instagram, which brought tremendous value to the buyer.

And those M&A s are different from privatization here.

you basically question the intrinsic value of Tesla. and you pretend to be a long?

I would not have linked a garbage article. I pulled up the stocks listed and the numbers are correct. Many of us here jumped in on Musk's tweet and have taken losses. Who is to say more are not ahead?

Who gives a hoot about the ads?

That makes you smarter than Larry Page. Because you sir, clearly identified Tesla as piece of S yet Larry Page is so stupid to have agreed to buy out Tesla right at the brink of bankruptcy with premium without seeking control of the company.

I would not have linked a garbage article. I pulled up the stocks listed and the numbers are correct. Many of us here jumped in on Musk's tweet and have taken losses. Who is to say more are not ahead?

Taken losses? Jabejus man stop pretending...change your name to some come of bird....you will feel better...trust me.

This article is worth a read. Tesla never trades on fundamentals. Few here seem to care about actual fundamentals, which is why this would be a wise read for many. If you trade Tesla, realize you are very much in gambling/speculating territory. I am long Tesla, but I want to also acknowledge that I'm not doing my trading based on fundamentals at all. This is purely gambling. If I wanted to invest on fundamentals, I'd buy stocks in companies that make money. Not spreading FUD, but ppl need to realize what they're risking around Tesla and become wiser investors. I'm sure there will be some disagrees...thats fine, I just want my post to help ppl who want to learn.

From my experience, we hired investment bankers first. We needed their advice and assistance in raising the funds to buy out another smaller company. Our own legal staff handled most of the details.

So far the only confirmed hiring the BoD has done was to hire lawyers without any offer in sight at this point. So the BoD is not dealing with a proposal. The lawyers are there for other reasons. My best guess is they are addressing the subpoenas that are reported to have been sent to the directors, and how much exposure they could be facing from the class action lawsuits that may be headed Tesla's way. Getting ahead of that activity is a smart move.

You have just shown your true colors. By suggesting a move to “get ahead” of any SEC outcome or legal action as a “smart move”, it is apparent that you are trying to cast doubt in a long position of TSLA. And for what? For an event that is difficult to prosecute and likely to amount to nothing with respect to the company... at a time when production is clearly ramping up to levels that will yield significant amount of cash flow. Yeah, I am going to pass on your insight. Hope you cover before it’s too late.

bum - if you are a Long why are you 'taking losses' in just one month?
Depends how you're trading, if options you could definitely be taking losses off of a week of negative activity. Or he may have simply been referring to unrealized losses. I know we were hovering around $350 after earnings...so since the funding secured tweet we have lost $30 per share in paper losses. Imagine if Elon had not tweeted it? We'd probably be around $350 still.

This article is worth a read. Tesla never trades on fundamentals. Few here seem to care about actual fundamentals, which is why this would be a wise read for many. If you trade Tesla, realize you are very much in gambling/speculating territory. I am long Tesla, but I want to also acknowledge that I'm not doing my trading based on fundamentals at all. This is purely gambling. If I wanted to invest on fundamentals, I'd buy stocks in companies that make money. Not spreading FUD, but ppl need to realize what they're risking around Tesla and become wiser investors. I'm sure there will be some disagrees...thats fine, I just want my post to help ppl who want to learn.

While you are spot on and I agree with you, BUT what you said is true for any high-growth company.

For a high growth company the stock does not trade on the current fundamentals, but on the potential for growth and 'speculation' for future expected market position and leadership. This is true for Tesla, and was true for Amazon until a few years ago.

Playing in stock market whichever way you look at it is gambling. The higher the risk, higher the potential for reward and also potential for losing everything too. This is just investment 101.

If making money in the stock market is just easy as looking for a high P/E ratio, then everyone would make money isnt it ?

Reactions: RobStark and oneday
I am guessing with the appearance of beachbum and how much was posted. The FUD engine is getting started up again? How many TSLA articles will appear tomorrow on Zerohedge based on how much Beachbum is posting now? 3?

Sigh... I enjoyed one day of no FUD. ONE! And look the stock didn't move at all because of it.
You've never posted anything positive for Tesla and in most of your posts you are simply rehashing lies that have been debunked many times. Pretending to be a long here?

Calling Microsoft buying LinkedIn a stupid buy? Wow that's some really serious coach quarterbacking here. The authors shortsightedness is astonishing. I guess you can also say the same thing with Apple's acquisition of Siri, Facebook's buying of instagram, which brought tremendous value to the buyer.

And those M&A s are different from privatization here.

you basically question the intrinsic value of Tesla. and you pretend to be a long?

@Causalien @Remus Why is this offending you? @Remus Why this attack - I could be wrong, but it seems as if you took it on a personal level?

Perhaps everyone that is criticizing other member's input should examine their own motives, state of mind and where and why emotions come from. We did just have discussion on 'mindfulness' :)

My motivation is:
1. I enjoy wide range of opinions,
2. I seem to be slightly cranky tonight and
3. most importantly, I've bet heavily on Tesla success, and I want to be mindful of any and all signs that something isn't right - component of my bet is time sensitive;
and @Remus, by pushing away people that are critical, you are voiding me of that opportunity. This is really the only reason this post even exists. I'll repeat: By silencing negative posts, I feel you (generic 'you', not Remus) is affecting my chance of being fully informed.

Just to clarify @Remus , it's not that you're particularly egregious example, or anything like that, it's just that these thoughts about forum shortcomings have bothered me for months, and your post was convenient to express them.

So please, let's have some more tolerance for all opinions about Tesla/TSLA/Musk here. And feel free to use 'Ignore' button liberally. I do, but that doesn't solve my problem if we chase away all the smart bears.
Thanks

@Unpilot @Electroman @Chop110 I just added you to this after seeing your responses.
Oh, and I didn't like the article, it's next to useless, but will fight for the right that we get informed about it.

Last edited:
For the discussions on where to move for tax reasons how about Estonia?

We have something called investment account, you only need to declare the cash in/out transactions each year. All stock/derivatives transactions are irrelevant and you can trade to your delight. You only pay income tax on the profits you withdraw at 20%.

So let’s assume you put in 50k, play on the markets and gain to 250k, then you can withdraw the 50k for free and what ever extra of the 200k you pull will be taxed, but if you keep using them to invest it’s tax free so no short term taxing, daytrade as you wish ;)

The one downside is that it’s only for publicly available financial instruments, private equity cannot be held on that account...

Status
Not open for further replies.