Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Technical Analysis

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If not stated explicitly, there can be confusion between a Simple Moving Average (SMA) and an Exponential Moving Average (EMA). I have found an SMA to be more useful for technical analysis outlooks, expecially when examing the relationship between two SMAs. IMO, the EMA was a silly invention with overly complex rules. If one wants to distribute the weighting in an MA graph, then just compare multiple SMAs. That more clearly shows how the situation has been evolving.

Gee, I wonder if this is technically encouraging?
Would it look any different with different format averages?

NYSE.PNG

TSLA has closed up for 3 straight sessions and near its high today, just falling short of its 50-day SMA (simple moving average). Meanwhile, it appears that that SMA will soon surpass the 200-dsay SMA in a Golden Cross. That could be quite bullish.

That's the good news. However, I'm in the midst of a major hurricane; its eye has just grazed near my home. I've been ordered to stay in my house. There was no evacuation order due to my 30-foot elevation. So far, only one tree in my yard is down. My brother's winter home four miles to my south was under an evacuation order yesterday due to its 1-foot elevation beside a canal that leads to a river that empties into the Gulf. When it's safe, I'll inspect his property.

1664401321755.jpeg

Below is what the chief TA Craig Johnson at Piper Sandler wrote this morning. I bought my first Tesla shares when he sent me a similar comment nearly 10 years ago.

• TSLA—Shares have pulled back from the upper end of a declining price channel. • Currently retesting the 10-/30-week WMAs. • RS has climbed back into positive territory and impressive TechniGrade ranking. • Add to positions on a downtrend reversal.

That’s usually indicative of something, I’m scratching my head to remember what it is though.. hmm.
Ari Wald of Oppenheimer has been saying that the one missing element to a market bottom was a decline in rates. He said today that the bond rally following Thursday's CPI numbers provides that. With that in place, perhaps we'll see TSLA rally along with the other oversold big tech names.

It was ten years ago this week that I received a similar message from Craig and bought my first TSLA shares.

Craig Johnson of Piper Sandler - today:

TSLA—Shares have recovered from oversold levels and subsequently reversed a ST downtrend. • RS has inflected higher off multi-year lows. • Add to positions on a topside breakout (close above the 30-week WMA)