Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Volume increments to 11 (improved in P85D/newer firmware)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In reading past posts, it seemed like there were complaints of the Model S only having 11 volume settings... In my P85D, I noticed that before the number increases, I have 2 or 3 presses of the button/changes of volume (this was likely using the steering wheel button, don't think I used the onscreen buttons). Was it true that it only had 11 settings before, and thus is this a welcome little improvement that there are now ~30 settings for the volume?

Originally, the early Model S VINs were released with a software version that had only 11 volume settings. The three-clicks-per-volume-number behavior came in with an early firmware update, perhaps two years ago.

Originally, the early Model S VINs were released with a software version that had only 11 volume settings. The three-clicks-per-volume-number behavior came in with an early firmware update, perhaps two years ago.

As goofy as it is, I do appreciate that they kept the Spinal Tap reference, even if using three clicks for every 1 volume increase is not terribly user friendly. It is one of my favorite little easter eggs in the car.