Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weird incoming phone call

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I was driving home this afternoon in a quiet residential neighborhood, all of a sudden my Tesla emitted a loud sound and the screen behind the wheel lit up with what looked like an incoming call. But the sound was not at all like the normal incoming call sound and my iPhone itself did not ring. After a few seconds (10?) it all went away. Any ideas what this might have been?

As I was driving home this afternoon in a quiet residential neighborhood, all of a sudden my Tesla emitted a loud sound and the screen behind the wheel lit up with what looked like an incoming call. But the sound was not at all like the normal incoming call sound and my iPhone itself did not ring. After a few seconds (10?) it all went away. Any ideas what this might have been?

• Funny
Reactions: Model 3 and Ciaopec

My similar experience was a severe weather alert. Scared the $#*@ outta me!

OP, I had something similar happen to me several months ago, followed by every few minutes after starting to drive, my MS would seem to receive an inbound call from the same number and display it on the IC, but my phone never showed the call coming in, and no one was there when I tried to answer via my MS... I tried doing the standard dual-scroll wheel reboot of the CID while I was driving, and again once I stopped, to no avail. The same scenario repeated multiple times. I eventually figured-out that the number my MS was reporting was from a caller that was at the top of my "recent calls" list -- but that person was NOT subsequently calling me again.

After several repeats of this over two days, I called the Tesla 800#. The tech was surprised as he said it sounded like an old problem that started with some previous release of iOS 9.x and then went away. Even though my iPhone was much more current on iOS, he had me (don't skip any steps):
  • Delete the iPhone from the MS
  • Delete the MS from my iPhone
  • Do a "more complete" CID reboot:
    • Put your foot on the brake and hold it down
    • Press both scroll wheels
    • Hold down all three until you see the Tesla T on the CID
    • Let go of everything
  • Re-pair the iPhone and MS
...and I never had the problem again. IMHO it was definitely an iOS and/or Bluetooth and/or Tesla bug ;) ...not some other App causing the issue, as the IC was displaying it as an incoming call, not just a scary sound from the speakers.

All that to say, if you have the problem again, try the process and hopefully the bug goes away as it did for me. (BTW, that same process has resolved other owner's odd and unexplainable connectivity issues, hence why I took the time to document here in case it helps someone else one day.)

• Informative
Reactions: Austral and Ciaopec