Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do you think of the door handles?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took delivery 12/28. Love to give test rides, but the door handles (inside and out) are very annoying. At least half the people have trouble with them. Yes, most eventually figure it out but I don't know that the slight aerodynamic benefits are worth it - they are still electronically controlled, just slightly simpler than MS since they don't "present". Inside doors are even worse because you have to remember to tell passengers before they reach for the inuitive emergency release that will damage your seals, Poor design in my opinion.
I agree. The "hidden" emergency handle is much more intuitive than the actual release button. The button is too small and vaguely marked. Odd decision. I'm sure every new passenger in the car will open it wrong.

Bottom line:

Tesla consciously decided to sacrifice a bit of usability in order to maintain aerodynamics and low cost. This isn't the only feature of the Model 3 that took a hit in usability. It's not ideal, but these sacrifices produced the best performing, most fun to drive, and cheapest EV the world has ever seen.

As economies of scale are reached with batteries, Tesla and others won't be as constrained to sacrifice as much, and some day we might see a motorized aero handle on the 3. Feel free to wait for that day if this issue bothers you so much.

A friend loaned me his Model 3 for a few days... After driving it a bit, I am finding that I am not minding the new handles.
I haven't run into situations where they are frozen, or heated by the sun, but in mild conditions (so far) it doesn't take much effort to use them.
For the most part, just a small learning curve getting used to something different.