Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What to expect? Service thru Tesla app.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First time requesting service thru the app due to an issue within a week of ownership: Advice: BMS_w035 - battery coolant heater? Causing other alert codes too.

I made the appointment on 4/3/23 for service on 4/10/23. It's almost 3 days now and I haven't heard anything yet; is this normal? I thought I would get some contact and then an estimate of what needs to be done prior to my going to the SC? I'm asking because I'm about 2.5 hours away and have to work out the logistics of getting my car there. I'll drive it there myself if they can get the work done in the same day.

Perhaps I'm being unreasonable since my service date isn't til the 10th. Maybe I'll hear something before the week is over (it's Wednesday today). Let me know how your timeframes have been from submitting a service ticket thru the app to first contact to estimate to taking car to the SC to fixing it to taking the car back home.

It's normal. The service center does have a lot of cars. They usually don't know right away from the logs what the actual problem is, unless you tell them the cause of the problem, they will refrain from an estimate until they inspected the vehicle at the site. After the initial inspection at the site is when you'll get an initial estimate.

• Helpful
Reactions: bmah
It's normal. The service center does have a lot of cars. They usually don't know right away from the logs what the actual problem is, unless you tell them the cause of the problem, they will refrain from an estimate until they inspected the vehicle at the site. After the initial inspection at the site is when you'll get an initial estimate.

Right, I wouldn't expect to hear much from the service center until the time you take your car in. Even with all of the remote diagnostics they can do, they're still going to have eyes on the vehicle in order to come up with an estimate.

In my experience the main communication they might give pre-drop-off would be if they need to reschedule.

Bruce.

I'd recommend adjusting the appointment and saying, "If mobile service is not available, I'll drive it there myself and wait for it if you can get the work done in the same day, or I will need a loaner as I am 2.5 hours away." or otherwise explain what you expectations are.

Reactions: bmah

So are the majority of threads on here showing estimates and speaking of remote diagnostics being performed only when the car is actually at the SC? I thought the remote access would give Tesla an initial step forward with some sort of diagnosis prior to going to the SC? Here's my description of what I need; I think I'm pretty descriptive plus I added pictures of the BMS errors and limp mode (although it's now showing up in the app for whatever reason):

service request.jpg

I'd recommend adjusting the appointment and saying, "If mobile service is not available, I'll drive it there myself and wait for it if you can get the work done in the same day, or I will need a loaner as I am 2.5 hours away." or otherwise explain what you expectations are.

I'm not sure I will get a loaner since my MS is a 2015 and out of warranty for everything (well, 5 days over for battery and drive units). I'll gladly rent a car from Tesla to get me home if that's the case. I'm sure I'll make it to the SC in limp mode however if they need to keep my car for more than 1 day, I need to figure out how to get home without a car. This is why I was hoping someone would reach out to me and let me know an initial diagnosis or estimate so I can decide on proper logistics or actions to take.

So are the majority of threads on here showing estimates and speaking of remote diagnostics being performed only when the car is actually at the SC? I thought the remote access would give Tesla an initial step forward with some sort of diagnosis prior to going to the SC? Here's my description of what I need; I think I'm pretty descriptive plus I added pictures of the BMS errors and limp mode (although it's now showing up in the app for whatever reason):

View attachment 925436

I'm not sure I will get a loaner since my MS is a 2015 and out of warranty for everything (well, 5 days over for battery and drive units). I'll gladly rent a car from Tesla to get me home if that's the case. I'm sure I'll make it to the SC in limp mode however if they need to keep my car for more than 1 day, I need to figure out how to get home without a car. This is why I was hoping someone would reach out to me and let me know an initial diagnosis or estimate so I can decide on proper logistics or actions to take.
The logs only gives keywords of symptoms. Doesn't really give a root cause. I have called the service center a number of times and they would say that all the time. The logs just indicates a few areas to focus when it relates to the driveability of the car which would require some hands-on diagnosis as some of these components needs special tools to find out. They probably have test fixtures in the service center to test individualize modules of the HV system. I mean, I had a coolant leak from the 4-valve, and the error message only said "low coolant" and didn't indicate where the leak was.

I mean, if you mention to them like, door handles doesn't retract. They'll just replace door handle assembly right away, and give you a quote without thinking twice. Or, the windshield motor wiper linkage is broken, they'll give a quote right away go fix it.

The logs only gives keywords of symptoms. Doesn't really give a root cause. I have called the service center a number of times and they would say that all the time. The logs just indicates a few areas to focus when it relates to the driveability of the car which would require some hands-on diagnosis as some of these components needs special tools to find out. They probably have test fixtures in the service center to test individualize modules of the HV system. I mean, I had a coolant leak from the 4-valve, and the error message only said "low coolant" and didn't indicate where the leak was.

I mean, if you mention to them like, door handles doesn't retract. They'll just replace door handle assembly right away, and give you a quote without thinking twice. Or, the windshield motor wiper linkage is broken, they'll give a quote right away go fix it.

I'm absolutely reasonable and realistic to the reality of what they may or may not be able to diagnose remotely and the expectations thereof. Just trying to understand what to expect and then dial that expectation somewhat back to be realistic. Looks like I will have to logistically work my way down there and prepare for the worse in trying to get back home. Maybe my auto insurance might cover some of that; will have to ask although not expecting much there either.

If you can wait another week to get past the 7 day waiting period, you could sign up with AAA and get a free 200 mile tow to the SC. Then you don't have to do a dreaded limp home drive all the way to the SC and then have to figure out how to get home.

And AAA is tied to you, not the car, so it works for any car you are riding in, and from the sounds of it, you might need the service more than once in a year so it's probably a good thing to have with an old Tesla out of warranty.

Isn't AAA, for the first 200 miles it's free if you're premiere member...then every tow afterwards is only 100 miles. I might be wrong on this.

A 2 hour drive, I'm guessing is about 130 miles or so. Tesla will give Uber Vouchers or a loaner vehicle. You can ask them. They did give me Uber Vouchers when my car was in the shop. This happened to me when I was in Canada, and also in Massachusetts service center.

Isn't AAA, for the first 200 miles it's free if you're premiere member...then every tow afterwards is only 100 miles. I might be wrong on this.

A 2 hour drive, I'm guessing is about 130 miles or so. Tesla will give Uber Vouchers or a loaner vehicle. You can ask them. They did give me Uber Vouchers when my car was in the shop. This happened to me when I was in Canada, and also in Massachusetts service center.

Do they give vouchers and loaner vehicles when you are out of warranty? I mean they barely give them when they are in warranty now.

Here in Houston, they now play the trick of telling you there is no loaner or vouchers if the work is expected to take less than 24 hours (overnight doesn't count, it's 24 hours). So they make sure to "expect" all work will take less than 24 hour and revise the estimate when it's almost 24 hours later to make it harder to get a loaner.

Last edited:
If you can wait another week to get past the 7 day waiting period, you could sign up with AAA and get a free 200 mile tow to the SC. Then you don't have to do a dreaded limp home drive all the way to the SC and then have to figure out how to get home.

Thank you for looking out for me. I do appreciate it very much. I'm not going to try and game the system. I'll gladly pay for a tow if it comes to that. I went into this ownership knowing full well that my P85D could become a high-maintenance love affair. I just didn't expect drama to show up within days of ownership.

Tesla will give Uber Vouchers or a loaner vehicle. You can ask them. They did give me Uber Vouchers when my car was in the shop. This happened to me when I was in Canada, and also in Massachusetts service center.

My 2015 P85D is out of warranty and the battery/du warranty expired 5 days ago. I'm not expecting any handouts. I'd be more than willing to pay for a loaner rental if Tesla is willing otherwise if my car has to stay overnight or a few days, I'll just rent a car back home. Enterprise still does customer pickups so they can come get me at the service center. Not too big of a worry here.

Here in Houston, they now play the trick of telling you there is no loaner or vouchers if the work is expected to take less than 24 hours (overnight doesn't count, it's 24 hours). So they make sure to "expect" all work will take less than 24 hour and revise the estimate to make it harder to get a loaner.

I sure hope they play this "trick" on my car and have it fixed within 24 hours, lols. I'll stay in a hotel overnight and wait if that is the guaranteed case. I'm far away enough that if they can fix it same day, I will be super-grateful.

You better toughen up before you get in the ring with Tesla SC's. You're going to learn real quick that they are experts at gaming the system at your expense.

The best way to deal with "any" service center is the ability to walk away and not worry much. I am fortunate enough to be in a position to do that. I'm hoping that this SC will provide good service to me and my car so that I can build a relationship with them because there's no telling how many times I will come back. I knew that Tesla service would be primarily proprietary so that comes with ups and downs. Of course, I'm glad to see that 057Tech and EG exists as an alternative.

The best way to deal with "any" service center is the ability to walk away and not worry much. I am fortunate enough to be in a position to do that. I'm hoping that this SC will provide good service to me and my car so that I can build a relationship with them because there's no telling how many times I will come back. I knew that Tesla service would be primarily proprietary so that comes with ups and downs. Of course, I'm glad to see that 057Tech and EG exists as an alternative.

The only “relationship” you’ll be making with a Tesla SC is with the Tesla app on your phone. You’ll learn soon enough. It’s a sad state of affairs.

Reactions: hydro
First time requesting service thru the app due to an issue within a week of ownership: Advice: BMS_w035 - battery coolant heater? Causing other alert codes too.

I made the appointment on 4/3/23 for service on 4/10/23. It's almost 3 days now and I haven't heard anything yet; is this normal? I thought I would get some contact and then an estimate of what needs to be done prior to my going to the SC? I'm asking because I'm about 2.5 hours away and have to work out the logistics of getting my car there. I'll drive it there myself if they can get the work done in the same day.

Perhaps I'm being unreasonable since my service date isn't til the 10th. Maybe I'll hear something before the week is over (it's Wednesday today). Let me know how your timeframes have been from submitting a service ticket thru the app to first contact to estimate to taking car to the SC to fixing it to taking the car back home.

Milwaukee Service usually responds back a couple days before the appointment. Good group of people once you get in there. Unfortunately, both Wisconsin Service centers are generally getting hammered, they do their best with what they have to work with. If you have a choice, go to Milwaukee service center. They actually just had to "modify" things a bit, the old service entrance is now closed to the public, and that ENTIRE area was closed off to public and turned into more parts storage, increasing parts storage area by about 80%. So service desk is now in the gallery and waiting area. It's fairly Spartan right now but have Keurig and Nespresso all setup :) Wifi is fast too.

I brain fart on names, sorry, but Jacob has been with Tesla a LONG LONG time, and prior to the service centers opening, used to be our Wisconsin resident mobile service tech. Christopher now covers most of his old southern area.

If you are able, bring donuts or pizzas :) Costco pizzas are good, 3-4 of them. Trust me :)
On the bright side, we are EXTREMELY LUCKY/FORTUNATE to have the service teams we do at both Milwaukee & Madison. Compared to others, Our service teams are absolute ROCK STARS, and generally will go above and beyond. What exact part of Wisconsin are you located at? I'll also let you know, much of the service personnel we have have been with Tesla a LONG time, a number jumped ship from Illinois when Milwaukee & Madison opened.

Milwaukee Service usually responds back a couple days before the appointment. Good group of people once you get in there. Unfortunately, both Wisconsin Service centers are generally getting hammered, they do their best with what they have to work with. If you have a choice, go to Milwaukee service center.
If you are able, bring donuts or pizzas :)
On the bright side, we are EXTREMELY LUCKY/FORTUNATE to have the service teams we do at both Milwaukee & Madison. Compared to others, Our service teams are absolute ROCK STARS, and generally will go above and beyond. What exact part of Wisconsin are you located at? I'll also let you know, much of the service personnel we have have been with Tesla a LONG time, a number jumped ship from Illinois when Milwaukee & Madison opened.

I'm in central WI and Madison is the closer SC than Milwaukee. I originally was planning to go to the Milwaukee SC but Madison is actually closer for me. It's 170 miles to Milwaukee and 140 miles to Madison. More than likely I will drive there so the less miles I have to travel, the better.

I'm in central WI and Madison is the closer SC than Milwaukee. I originally was planning to go to the Milwaukee SC but Madison is actually closer for me. It's 170 miles to Milwaukee and 140 miles to Madison. More than likely I will drive there so the less miles I have to travel, the better.
Ah, ok. I don't have much experience with Madison. I know Hiu is a stand up guy and very active with the WI Club.