Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which state closest to California with a 7 day delivery is best to pickup my S?

Will this help me get car faster?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Hrhkee

Doing research. Brb
Nov 30, 2016
GA
Crazy story...I told it too many times already. My challenge is to find out which state near California has the best tax laws. I wish to fly to that state and pick up my car, pay the tax for my state and enjoy the honeymoon drive back the east coast.

Does anyone know if I'm able to take receipt at the factory and only pay my state's tax?

If not, where is the closest place that makes sense? THINK SC NETWORK.

Crazy story...I told it too many times already. My challenge is to find out which state near California has the best tax laws. I wish to fly to that state and pick up my car, pay the tax for my state and enjoy the honeymoon drive back the east coast.

Does anyone know if I'm able to take receipt at the factory and only pay my state's tax?

If not, where is the closest place that makes sense? THINK SC NETWORK.

If you pick up in CA at the factory, you will pay California sales tax. In fact, it was cheaper for me to pay a $750 delivery fee to Arizona instead of paying the higher CA sales tax rate.

Also, a few quick Google searches indicate that no matter what you pay in another state, you will need to pay the TAVT tax in Georgia.
"...a one-time tax incurred on the day the vehicle is purchased or when title is first established with the state." (emphasis mine, source). So that tells me you would be double taxed if you bought in CA and titled in Georgia.

• Love
Reactions: Hrhkee

You will be required to pay the California tax to pickup at the factory. Thus is according to many here. I believe they tried to pass a tourism law to allow it, but never succeeded.

Factory Delivery and Tax implications for Out of State Owners

If you pick up in CA at the factory, you will pay California sales tax. In fact, it was cheaper for me to pay a $750 delivery fee to Arizona instead of paying the higher CA sales tax rate.

Also, a few quick Google searches indicate that no matter what you pay in another state, you will need to pay the TAVT tax in Georgia.
"...a one-time tax incurred on the day the vehicle is purchased or when title is first established with the state." (emphasis mine, source). So that tells me you would be double taxed if you bought in CA and titled in Georgia.

In Texas they will charge tax for a new car registration, but will reduce it by the amount previously paid. For example, the California rate is higher, so there would be no further tax in Texas if one took delivery at the factory.

Last edited:
No option in Georgia not to pay the TAVT (7% on full sales price including software options) even if you've already paid sales tax in another state. This is the law for any car brought into and registered in Georgia - new or used.

Oregon has no sales tax. You can't pump gas into an ICE in Oregon, but you can plug in at a Supercharger station. Oregon had a high level of Ferraris registered because Californians bought them here and kept them licensed as Oregon vehicles. Also many huge RV's were registered with many dealers "helping" with addresses in Oregon. Oregon Department of Justice - Nation's Largest Seller Of Recreational Vehicles Pleads GuiltyTo Vehicle Registration Fraud: Ordered To Pay $3.3 Million

Edmunds.com
State Maximum Sales Tax (%)1 Average DMV Fees
Oregon 0.00 $86

Thanks folks. If I accept it with 0% then I will be fine paying Ga. How much quicker would I get it in Oregon and how long before I see Ga in A 60D? I probably would use every SC between here and there...

Actually, there are exceptions to the law in Oregon that allows you to pump your own gas. Found out this past summer. If you have a motorcycle, a classic car, or a high performance sports car, you can pump your own gas. You just have to call it out to the attendent.

Thanks folks. If I accept it with 0% then I will be fine paying Ga. How much quicker would I get it in Oregon and how long before I see Ga in A 60D? I probably would use every SC between here and there...

Are you purchasing a custom build, or inventory? I think this makes a difference in how long before you get your car. Also you mention an S60 which means your SC route may not be optimal. For example, my trip PHX to Las Vegas is 2 stops in an S85 but 3 stops in an S60 plus extra distance to find that third charger.

Also, custom builds include a destination fee to get it to your local SC, but inventory cars do not. As great as road trips are, I think it's faster to let them handle the logistics of crossing the country, and take a great trip once the car arrives to Deals Gap in North Carolina.

Actually, there are exceptions to the law in Oregon that allows you to pump your own gas. Found out this past summer. If you have a motorcycle, a classic car, or a high performance sports car, you can pump your own gas. You just have to call it out to the attendent.

The first time I went to Portland on business I had no idea that it was illegal to pump one's own gas. I just got out of the rental car, grabbed the nozzle, and started filling up. The attendant wasn't understanding at all. I remember being flabbergasted at such a law.

Those exemptions are there because it is difficult to pump gas into these types of vehicles without spilling it out of the filler onto custom paint that may be damages by the splash.

In Canada the attendant often hands me the filler nozzle for me to pump my own gas in the Harley. Since the tanks are quite small, I often pull the nozzle part way out of the tank to fill it right up to the brim. Risk of spilling is high, so they let us do the filling ourselves.

I then hand the attendant my cash or credit card for him to finish the transaction.

Works out well all around.

The fire marshall rule in Oregon is that the public can not dispense anything with a flash point of 100F or less. You can dispense diesel and as mentioned they will now let you fill your motorcycle tank situated directly above a hot engine! We vote on it every couple of years and know the gas companies are NOT going to lower the prices even 1 cent with self service. No sales tax either on anything so stock up when vacationing in Oregon.