Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why is Supercharger status always wrong?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Every time (yes, every time) I navigate to a supercharger, the numbers of current open spaces shown for the supercharger is ALWAYS wrong.

Once I arrive, then the numbers change and I see actual status showin correct number of open spaces.

Today it showed a 15 minute wait time. Right up until when I arrived. Then, it switched to show 4 open spaces, which there were.

Why does it always show wrong numbers of open spaces until I arrive? It’s not like the spots magically appeared a the exact same moment, and all the waiting cars magically disappeared as well.

It was not a case of people leaving right before I got there. It’s just purely wrong numbers.
The other day, at another location, it showed 20 open spaces.
When I got there, right then, it switched to no open spaces.

What’s up with that? It’s not like they need me to be close to the charger to send me info on its actual status.

2013 P85+ model S

Proactively pushing availability updates to millions of cars every time a spot turns over at a site isn’t practical. I don’t think Tesla ever intended for the availability to be a real time metric, just a general busyness indicator.

I have noticed if you click the pin it will refresh to current data.
I’ve tried clicking the pin, without success. I’ll try again next time.

But in any case, it is not an issue of pushing availability updates to millions of cars every time a spot opens.
It involves pushing availability updates to drivers who are then using navigation to go to that specific supercharger.

They update the availability when I arrive at the supercharger location, so why should it be so hard to update it when I am actually navigating to that location (and my car is telling me it is “conditioning battery for faster charging”).

The car knows I am heading to that specific supercharger. Why wait to tell me the availability status until I arrive there?

Reactions: Rocky_H
I think there are some improvements that could be made, absolutely. More frequent updates when actually navigating to a location would seem to be an easy one. It DOES seem to update occasionally... but it seems like it's once every 10 minutes or so - probably not frequent enough to be useful.

If you keep the TS SuperCharging locations screen open, the SuperCharging count of available units doesn't update real time until you stop and plug in. If you keep closing the SuperCharging locations screen and reopening it, it updates reasonably well. Why I don't know?

With 500 people just eliminated, including the head of the team, I think we have bigger problems in the next 2 years ahead.

Reactions: aerodyne
I found the stall count availability to be quite accurate from late 2019-early 2024. Over the last few months (software updates) it does seem like the stall counts are very off. I've been to a few sites that show 0/12 with a 5-10 minute wait time, only to be pleasantly surprised to see 8/12 stalls open and available. My thought was that perhaps 4 people unplugged and took off right before I got there, but this has been happening too often and if you're seeing it too then I think Tesla's Supercharger utilization count to our navigation systems are not accurate.

Given that non-Tesla's can charge does Tesla now account for a non-Tesla as taking TWO spots and adjust the stall available accordingly?
Given the title of the thread; the replies here already; and my experience I would say a definitive NO. I mean, if it cannot accurately and in a timely fashion produce its own head count how will it juggle the rest?

...off we go into the wild blue yonder...