Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Agile plunge pricing predictions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I decided to switch to Go a few days ago which will probably work out better for me. Mainly because I have no mobile signal in the garage and struggle to wake the car up, so on Go I can turn on scheduled charging at 00:30 in the car and use ev.energy to stop at 4:30. Might be an issue in the future as 4 hours on the 3 pin doesn't give much charge. On Agile it had gotten to the point where I was getting ev.energy to stop charging when the price went over 12p/kWh otherwise it wouldn't charge at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: ringi
I'm on the cusp of considering switching. I don't do much mileage and it's pretty sporadic when I do need to charge, so Agile has historically been great for me, but the way things are lately even in the middle of the night its painfully expensive.

I'm looking at Go Faster at the moment, seems like they do a bunch of tariffs that can start as late as 03:30. Since on the occasions I might need to go in to work I'd likely be leaving at around 8am, is there any point in trying to get as late a Go Faster tariff as possible, when they all seem to finish at 06:30 at the latest? I guess the battery would cool down to the point of needing to be preconditioned all over again in that hour and a half window?

For those still on Agile, what are your reservations about switching temporarily to Go for a month or two?

Providing the Octopus website works (I had issues), it should be straight forward to move to Go from midnight tonight then you can review in a months time.

What on earth is going on tomorrow!? 35p at midday!
14 slots at 35p and 20 at >30p. I more than happy to take the rough with the smooth, but this is next level.

D3EABF83-FED5-4947-A3FD-ED1DD75AEF18.jpeg

For those still on Agile, what are your reservations about switching temporarily to Go for a month or two?

Providing the Octopus website works (I had issues), it should be straight forward to move to Go from midnight tonight then you can review in a months time.
My reservations evaporated this morning and would have evaporated sooner had either car needed much charging at the moment. I tried to switch from Agile to Go but clicking the Sign Me Up button gave "We're sorry but something went wrong when processing your request. Our tech team will investigate and fix".

My reservations evaporated this morning and would have evaporated sooner had either car needed much charging at the moment. I tried to switch from Agile to Go but clicking the Sign Me Up button gave "We're sorry but something went wrong when processing your request. Our tech team will investigate and fix".
I had a similar message whilst trying to accept the terms and conditions for Go. Don't waste your time emailing them, just give them a call and they should be able to resolve promptly.

Reactions: NewbieT
We're still sitting here paying 13.83p/kWh peak, 9p/kWh off-peak for 7 hours every night, and are rather thankful that our old school E7 tariff is such good value, especially given our relatively high electricity use for the 7 hour slot every night at this time of the year.

Warning Date/Time
(GMT)
Warning Text
Warning Date/Time
(GMT)
Warning Text
2021-01-12 16:34 From : Power System Manager - National Grid Electricity Control Centre ELECTRICITY MARGIN NOTICE An ELECTRICITY MARGIN NOTICE has been issued by the System Operator to encourage market actions to increase System Margins. For the period: from 15:00 hrs to 19:00 hrs on Wednesday 13/01/2021 There is a reduced system margin. System margin shortfall 1150 MW Maximum Generation Service may be instructed. Trading Points, Control Points and Externally interconnected System Operators are requested to notify National Grid of any additional MW capacity. Suppliers please advise National Grid of any additional Demand Control available The situation will be reviewed again by National Grid at 11:00 hours and an update issued. This Notification of Issue of a GB Transmission System Warning - ELECTRICITY MARGIN NOTICE Issued at 16:30 hrs on 12/01/2021 Issued by Pat Stewart National Grid Electricity Control Centre ************** Information Note:- As the System Operator, National Grid are responsible for balancing the electricity system in the final hours before real-time. We have a number of routine tools we can use to help us do this, this toolkit includes ELECTRICITY MARGIN NOTICES. An ELECTRICITY MARGIN NOTICE is used to send a signal to the electricity market. It highlights that, in the short-term, we would like a greater safety cushion (margin) between power demand and available supply. It does not signal that blackouts are imminent or that there is not enough generation to meet current demand.

I had a similar message whilst trying to accept the terms and conditions for Go. Don't waste your time emailing them, just give them a call and they should be able to resolve promptly.
Prompt email response from Octopus about failure of website to make the Agile to Go switch. They said:

I've had a look over the account, and as you're currently on Agile the reason the error may be popping up is that we're unable to switch directly from smart tariff to a different smart tariff. A little frustrating, but we need a 30 day break in between on a standard tariff to split them up. This is mentioned in the T's & C's if you wanted to have a check over this at any point.

The T&C webpage says "You can switch away from our Agile Octopus tariff to one of our standard tariffs any time without financial penalty, but you can’t move back to one of our smart tariffs (Agile Octopus or Octopus Go) within 30 days".

Further down the document, in the explanation of hedging, it states:

"So customers moving from Agile to fixed tariffs is ok, moving back the other way is harder for us".

But it also states that Go is a fixed tariff, so why won't they let me switch?

My understanding from earlier posts is that one could switch directly from Agile to Go but could not return to Agile within 30 days. Is that how Octopus has interpreted it for other customers?

Now waiting for further response from Octopus.