Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else having issue with rear quarter glass exploding?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have had my Y for 3.5 years, all of sudden while driving today driver side back quarter glass exploded, looks like no impacts or anything. In fact from outside you couldn’t even tell it was damaged at all until I opened the door and it started falling apart (from inside you could see it was shattered while outside looked fine.

Looks like it’s double pane and outside pane is what shattered, inside pane is fine.

Has anyone seen this? Car is still in warranty but it’s not something that is covered under warranty, Tesla quoted ~$700 with taxes and labor all together to replace.

Hello,

I bought a Tesla model Y a month back (March 2024). Today the rear window glass shattered on its own. The car was sitting in my office parking lot. It was only 70 deg. F. I was in the office only for 3 hours when I came back to see the glass shattered. The sentry mode recording did not show anyone approaching the car. There are two security cameras in the parking lot. The cameras did not show anyone coming close and vandalizing the car. So, the glass must have shattered on its own. I searched the internet about to to find that some other people have reported this issue as well. The only reason I found that the people are suggesting is manufacturing defect. Do we have more insights on why this happens and what are the statistics of this happening?

ssumit: Statistics? infinitesimally small number. Considering the gazillion cars being manufactured, it's surprising that defective glass doesn't show up more often.
IMHO, it's similar to aircraft "failures." Considering the millions of miles flown, failures are exceptionally rare. Of course, when it happens, it's unacceptable, but...

Hello,

I bought a Tesla model Y a month back (March 2024). Today the rear window glass shattered on its own. The car was sitting in my office parking lot. It was only 70 deg. F. I was in the office only for 3 hours when I came back to see the glass shattered. The sentry mode recording did not show anyone approaching the car. There are two security cameras in the parking lot. The cameras did not show anyone coming close and vandalizing the car. So, the glass must have shattered on its own. I searched the internet about to to find that some other people have reported this issue as well. The only reason I found that the people are suggesting is manufacturing defect. Do we have more insights on why this happens and what are the statistics of this happening?
Same thing happened to my 2021 Plaid