Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Boot latch button broken

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Medved_77

TM3 SR+ | MSM+Black | No FSD
Jan 20, 2020
Scotland
The external button to open the boot appears to have failed on my car. This is a 2020 TM3 without power tailgate. Can still open the boot via the app or infotainment screen.

Noticed in the weeks preceding the failure that the boot seemed very heavy to open, so I'm wondering if there's some cable damage there and the weight of the boot lit was actually the tension of a caught cable. I know there's a recall for the cable going to the rear camera but unsure if the two are connected.

Mobile service booked for just over a week's time. Just curious if anyone else has experienced this as I've not found any previous threads on this issue.

The "apparent weight" of the boot lid is probably entirely down to the (remaining) power of the two fitted gas struts.

I replaced my boot lid gas struts early on with "Chinese special" self-opening gas struts - well they certainly started the lift and made the lid much lighter to open but not long after I'd fitted them I had them replaced with Hansshow boot lid lift motors by our very own @Mr H at the tail-end of 2020.

My bonnet had similar increased-strength gas struts fitted at the same time as the boot ones and they have been working to fully lift the bonnet with the on-screen (and Fob) "open bonnet" button ever since. :)

Failure to operate the boot lock would suggest switch failure requiring replacement and "increased weight" might suggest new gas struts will be required as well.

Most likely the wire to the switch has broken, the loom runs on the right hand side and kinks as the boot lid closes, for me it broke the wire to the latch solenoid so it wouldn't open at all, via app screen or handle, took them 3 months to get me a replacement loom, I fixed it myself before as it was a pain having no boot at all, thankfully had a fantastically understanding ranger. They also put a boot around the loom at that point now to try and prevent this.

• Helpful
Reactions: Medved_77
Most likely the wire to the switch has broken, the loom runs on the right hand side and kinks as the boot lid closes, for me it broke the wire to the latch solenoid so it wouldn't open at all, via app screen or handle, took them 3 months to get me a replacement loom, I fixed it myself before as it was a pain having no boot at all, thankfully had a fantastically understanding ranger. They also put a boot around the loom at that point now to try and prevent this.
Thanks for the info on loom placement. Hopefully the mobile technician has the parts in stock, otherwise I'll inspect the loom myself and see what I can do as a temporary fix. Button actually worked on one occasion today, so feels like it's salvageable.

Mobile service has just been.

Issue was a broken green wire in the boot wiring harness. Same harness that has a recall out and although my harness contains the newer wires (black and yellow) it didn't have the protective collar.

Impressed with how quickly I was able to get a mobile service appointment and additionally that the parts were available.

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
Yeah mine is the same (1Q 2020) and is showing as requiring a recall. I have a service appointment booked for this Friday to try and get the 2022.24.5 update instead of .6 (keeping it open for the sake of it at this point), so will ask about this.

What did he do with yours then, replace the whole harness?

What did he do with yours then, replace the whole harness?
Yes, complete replacement of the loom, covered by warranty.

1662384263723.png

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel