Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can the Tesla charging cable be used in the rain?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
cable.jpg

There are 2 slots in the sides so will rain get inside and damage it?

I would probably avoid prolonged exposure to the elements (here's a nice thread with some helpful ideas: Securing mobile charger to the wall ) but I wouldn't sweat it if you very occasionally use it outdoors and it starts to rain. Just do your best to shield it and follow the advice from the Owner's Manual:

Warning: If rain falls during charging, do not allow rain water to run along the length of charge cable, causing the electrical outlet or charging port to become wet.

I don't have a garage so have to charge outside. Just stuffed it in the wheel well on top of the tire so it is out of direct rain. Manual also states,

Warning: Do not use the Mobile Connector when either you, the vehicle or the Mobile Connector is exposed to severe rain, snow, electrical storm or other inclement weather.

So I guess normal rain is ok?

Totally fine to use in mild weather. The wall plug can also be used if it's in an enclosed weatherproof outlet cover.

Two years ago I used an extension cord (TELL NOONE) at an Airbnb and just piled the connectors under the vehicle for rain protection. Worked fine.

View attachment 1047478

There are 2 slots in the sides so will rain get inside and damage it?

So you have the same concerns I did when seeing those holes and then thinking about all that could go wrong having an expensive unit exposed to the elements.

If you are using the standard 3 prong adapter:
1) Buy a super short 10 foot 10 gauge cord like this one on https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0B7CJYQLG/?_encoding=UTF8
2) then put the ENTIRE charger unit (and the female end of the extension cord) in something that will keep it off the ground and completely shielded from the rain/snow/sun I have mine in an old tire rim with a big hard plastic cover over it and a heavy brick on the top.
3) buy some of these too for where you connect the extension cord on BOTH ends Amazon.com because I have had water infiltration issues and this seems to solve it.

You'll sleep easier knowing not only is it protected from the elements but you won't be abusing the male right angle end by prying it out of the outlet everytime you need to move it for some reason (which is a pain to do). Let the extension cord take all that abuse.

Last edited:
My brother has been charging outdoors with a mobile connector for 6 years with no problems. The body of the mobile connector is mounted to a post and completely exposed to the elements, and it’s plugged into an extension cord that is also completely exposed. No electrical or moisture issues to-date.

So you have the same concerns I did when seeing those holes.
This is what I suggest to alleviate your concerns of someday having fried circuitry

If you are using the standard 3 prong adapter:
1) Buy a super short 10 foot 12 gauge cord like this one Amazon.com
2) then put the ENTIRE charger unit (and the female end of the extension cord) in something that will keep it off the ground and completely shielded from the rain/snow/sun I have mine in an old tire rim with a big hard plastic cover over it and a heavy brick on the top.
3) buy some of these too for where you connect the extension cord on BOTH ends Amazon.com because I have had water infiltration issues and this seems to solve it.

You'll sleep easier knowing not only is it protected from the sun and rain but you won't be abusing the male right angle end by prying it out of the outlet everytime you need to move it for some reason. Let the extension cord take all that abuse.

1715869144896.png

Also, the Mobile Connector would be unable to detect an overheat condition at the receptacle (which is where an overheat condition is most likely to occur) if an extension cord is used because extension cords don't have temperature sensors.

View attachment 1047745

Also, the Mobile Connector would be unable to detect an overheat condition at the receptacle (which is where an overheat condition is most likely to occur) if an extension cord is used because extension cords don't have temperature sensors.

I'm sure the main reason they warn you is because there is no way to stop morons from using $2 16 gauge extension cords which will cause a fire.

I actually have a 10 gauge not 12. I'll rewrite the post. 10 gauge is way thicker than the wiring that goes from your electrical box to the 120v outlet.

Last edited:
The 12 gauge cord is FAR thicker than the wire going from your electrical box to your 120v outlet. It is complete overkill.

I'm sure the main reason they warn you is because there is no way to stop morons from using $2 16 gauge extension cords which will cause a fire.
If you have a receptacle that overheats due to a defect, wear, or lose wire, for example, heat will transfer into the plug on the Mobile Connector where one of the temperature sensors is located so that the charging current can be reduced.

If this happens while an extension cord is being used, the Mobile Connector won't be able to sense the overheat condition and will allow full charging current while the receptacle or plug on the extension cord melts and possibly catches fires.

The 12 gauge cord is FAR thicker than the wire going from your electrical box to your 120v outlet. It is complete overkill.
Why would you say that? For garage outlets that are 5-20, which are 120V and 20A rated, they will be running Romex wire inside the house wall to supply that. Look at the ampacity table requirement:

It muse use 12 gauge for that Romex wire in the wall. That is exactly why people are recommending 12 gauge for these extension cord cases--because that's what you should have if it is a 20A outlet supplying 16A continuous. It's correct.

Sure, it would be excessive if you are only using a 15A outlet, but people here are being sensible that you don't want to have to keep track of two different extension cords based on whether you are using a 5-15 or a 5-20 outlet. You can just use one that covers both cases.

I actually have a 10 gauge not 12. I'll rewrite the post. 10 gauge is way thicker than the wiring that goes from your electrical box to the 120v outlet.
I'm using a $30 heavy duty 50 foot 14 gauge extension cord which is the same gauge as the house wiring to the outlet. No different than when mowing the grass with my Black and Decker mower. Actually I connect two 50 footers to get to the far end of the yard.

I'm using a $30 heavy duty 50 foot 14 gauge extension cord which is the same gauge as the house wiring to the outlet. No different than when mowing the grass with my Black and Decker mower. Actually I connect two 50 footers to get to the far end of the yard.

I think 14 is a bad idea. I have a 25 foot 10 gauge and even that makes me nervous. You have both a length and width issue.
My Mobile connector has to stretch to the max (as in clotheslining with wire strain) to reach my car at the nearest point i can park it...that's why i'm forced to use an extension cord.

Last edited:
I'm using a $30 heavy duty
Those words "heavy duty" in the extension cord world are referring to how thick the rubber insulation is, so it can stand up to being dragged across pavement and gravel and getting scratches and nicks that won't get in far enough to reach the wire. It's not about the wire gauge. I had a couple of very thick "heavy duty" cords I thought of using when I first got my EV, but I looked at the imprinting, and they were both 16 gauge wire.

50 foot 14 gauge extension cord which is the same gauge as the house wiring to the outlet.
If it's a 15A outlet, sure, probably true, but if it's a 20A outlet (which are common), it wouldn't be. That's why people are recommending 12 gauge to cover whatever type of 120V outlet people are finding to plug into.

I have a 25 foot 10 gauge and even that makes me nervous.
10 gauge covers up to 30A circuits. That shouldn't make you nervous at all.

I have a 15 amp outlet at the front porch. I plugged in the charging cable for the first time yesterday at 4 pm with a range of about 50 miles showing. Just checked on it at 11 am and its at 110 miles. Also felt the extension cord at both ends. Felt just a little warmer than the outside air temperature. Maybe 80 or 90 degrees. The display says it's charging at 12 amps which is well below the cords rating.

Also felt the extension cord at both ends. Felt just a little warmer than the outside air temperature.
Again, it's not that extension cords won't work - they certainly will. The issue is that if/when something does go wrong with the receptacle or the plug end of the extension cord, the EVSE won't know to cut back on charging current in an attempt to avoid a fire. This can happen regardless of the quality of the extension cord or the size of its conductors.

The outlet is on a brick wall so there is nothing to catch fire. And even if somehow there was a fire at the outlet, the resulting short would trip the breaker, no?

So I'm thinking of upgrading my receptacle to an industrial grade one so it can more handle the abuse of things being plugged/unplugged.
I have two receptacles on the circuit with the GFCI button one not being the receptacle i plug the car into.

15 Amp, 125 Volt, Wide Body Duplex Receptacle, Industrial Grade, Self Grounding, Weather Resistant​

This should lessen the chance of a wear failure at the outlet.

If you need cord distance I highly recommend the highest gauge wire you can find.

Last edited: