Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian CHAdeMO charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
62.5KW .

They said they can easily convert to 125 KW.

Sure. But in a grocery store parking lot speed is not your friend. A typical grocery run in 40 minutes for us. A 50 or 60 percent charge is totally adequate in that time frame. I personally wouldn't want to see it any faster than that. Otherwise you would be running back to move the car after half an hour because its full. .

JMHO

Sure. But in a grocery store parking lot speed is not your friend. A typical grocery run in 40 minutes for us. A 50 or 60 percent charge is totally adequate in that time frame. I personally wouldn't want to see it any faster than that. Otherwise you would be running back to move the car after half an hour because its full. .

JMHO

That's assuming we will even have ChaDeMo adapters that will go that fast or CCS adapters.

We are capped at 50KW. It will take an hour to go from 20 to 90% likely.

That's assuming we will even have ChaDeMo adapters that will go that fast or CCS adapters.

We are capped at 50KW. It will take an hour to go from 20 to 90% likely.

Which for a Grocery store parking lot is just about right. Or a mall where its easy to drop an hour.

The Chademo charger is a little clunky and heavy but its a god send in BC. Without it you very limited where you can travel. I hope the CCS adapter (if they actually release one some day) will be a little faster and a little less bulky than the Chademo. Meh. It works.

49853043187_835a0c0a44_c.jpg

49852206303_82f4ef3edf_c.jpg

I recall there was a CCS adapter for older European Teslas (European CCS to Supercharger). Apparently there was also some additional physical hardware install required to make it work. I wonder how much change is needed for something like that to work with a Model 3, since the European ones are designed to work with their version of CCS? Could they at one point simply release a plug adaptor much like the J1772? I wonder if such a CCS setup would also be capped at 50kW or is that a limitation of the ChaDEMO adapter itself? Or ChaDEMO charger units?

I recall there was a CCS adapter for older European Teslas (European CCS to Supercharger). Apparently there was also some additional physical hardware install required to make it work. I wonder how much change is needed for something like that to work with a Model 3, since the European ones are designed to work with their version of CCS? Could they at one point simply release a plug adaptor much like the J1772? I wonder if such a CCS setup would also be capped at 50kW or is that a limitation of the ChaDEMO adapter itself? Or ChaDEMO charger units?

There is a Korean CCS to Tesla adapter - for North American cars out there now. It's limited to 200 Amps - so about 70KW....but I'm not sure I'd trust it.
CCS Adapter | SETEC POWER

But it's coming.......

• Informative
Reactions: Big Earl
There is a Korean CCS to Tesla adapter - for North American cars out there now. It's limited to 200 Amps - so about 70KW....but I'm not sure I'd trust it.
CCS Adapter | SETEC POWER

But it's coming.......

I still want to know more about the “USB FOR UPDATE” comment.

But when the price comes down a couple hundred bucks we would probably roll the dice.

A few interesting new CHAdeMOs just showed up online on plugshare in BC - along Highway 97. Specifically Burns Lake, Prince George, and Groundbirch (near Chetwynd).

I have no immediate need of these. But one of my 'bucket list' items is to someday drive the Al-Can. These new CHAdeMOs would certainly help. (I'm still amazed that there aren't any places in Fort Nelson listed on plugshare to even do L2 charging. Just a couple of RV parks with TT-30s.)

Reactions: Webeevdrivers
There are photos on Plugshare showing construction in progress at the three sites closest to St. John's.

There could be construction elsewhere, but where there's no Plugshare member available to post photos.
EVAAC has a member looking forward them. He’s seen the actual hardware being delivered to a warehouse/receiving dock, but he hasn’t seen them being installed in the field yet.