Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cruise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They both seem to have the same set of sensor fusion.

They both do fusion of cameras, lidar and radar but there are big differences. The sensor layout is very different. For example, Waymo uses one long range spinning lidar on the roof with some short range lidar on the bumpers whereas Cruise uses several smaller spinning lidar on each corner on the vehicle. The specs of the sensors are likely very different as well. It looks like Cruise uses 3rd party sensors. Waymo custom builds all their sensors. So Waymo and Cruise definitely do not have the same set of sensors.

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnB007 and Tam

The interview is interesting. But also, let's take a moment to appreciate that we are seeing 2 guys talking in the back of a driverless cars. Just a few years ago, that would have been scifi. Now, we see it as a normal.

Last edited:
Seems like Cruise doesn't know how to not block the box.

What is this scenario?

Cruise made a wide left turn at the light but lined up behind a parked car at the end of the left turn while there's lots of room to pass it?

What interesting is there are 2 other different Cruise cars also did a left turn and passed the stuck Cruise easily.

What does this all mean?

What is this scenario?

Cruise made a wide left turn at the light but lined up behind a parked car at the end of the left turn while there's lots of room to pass it?

What interesting is there are 2 other different Cruise cars also did a left turn and passed the stuck Cruise easily.

What does this all mean?

Those other 2 were sitting behind the first one at the start of the video.

My best guess (based on the commentary of the poster that I included below) is the first one did exactly what you said, the other two followed and turned it into a stall with 3 cars blocking the intersection. Then remotely Cruise managed to get the last 2 on track, and tried with the first one (hence it backing up, then stalling again).

Didn’t start recording till we had been there through 2 green lights and couldn’t go. Lol
Yeah it seems like the first car took a wide turn and went behind the parked cars but before it could correct the other self driving cars got up to close and they all didn’t know what to do. Until the one ballsy car decided to pass lol

It's not just SF, Cruise had a mass stall in Austin.

Man, this is so embarrassing. It looks like the entire Cruise fleet in Austin got stuck. LOL. Was Cruise trying to send the entire fleet back to base at the same time and they all got stuck? It really makes you wonder what is happening and why Cruise has not solved this yet. I mean, I get that one car might get stuck if it encounters an edge case it cannot happen, but why is Cruise allowing this domino effect of one or two stalls causing dozens of other Cruise AVs to stall too?

• Informative
Reactions: flutas and Tam
Cruise gets stuck behind construction. I can't believe the Cruise was not able to go around the construction in that scenario...
The bad thing was it stopped at the railroad tracks. Fortunately, those tracks are not for trains but for low-speed human-driven trams that courteously did not run over the Cruise.

An experienced human driver would not stop at railroad tracks! Too many bad outcomes when stopping at railroad tracks!

Indeed. I saw Woman seriously injured after being struck by Cruise autonomous car in San Francisco: officials and another story on this on my FB feed earlier tonight. ABC 7 News is a semi-local station for me.

More info:

Driver hits woman in S.F., then Cruise driverless car runs her over

A driver, on the Cruise's left, hit the woman first. She was bounced off to the path of the Cruise that then ran her over and stopped when it pinned her at the rear axle and the tire.

Both cars were stopping for the red light and both started to move when the light turned green but both ignored that the woman was still walking and had not safely reached the road shoulder, curb, or divider.

I don't know why the car is all the way on the other side of the intersection on the next block. Did it drag the lady all the way from the intersection further down to the next block?

ratio3x2_1200.jpg

Or did it stop at the intersection and the first responders moved it out to clear the intersection? It might not be reasonable because it was moved way more than necessary further down in the next block.

If dragging was the case, I don't think a normal human driver would do that. It may take the machine routine more time to stop in this case.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: cwerdna