Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cruise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wonder if Cruse is biting off more than they can chew. Cruse has service or testing or pre mapping in a lot of cities now. Here is the list I found. Please add to or correct if known. Also all are Sun Belt.

Atlanta - Testing
Austin - Testing
Charlotte - Testing
Dallas - Testing
Houston - Testing
Las Vegas - Mapping
LA - Mapping
Nashville - Testing???
Phoenix - Service
Raleigh - Mapping
San Diego - Mapping
San Fran - Service

Dubai - Mapping

Last edited:
Reactions: diplomat33
Wonder if Cruse is biting off more than they can chew. Cruse has service or testing or pre mapping in a lot of cities now. Here is the list I found. Please add to or correct if known. Also all are Sun Belt.

Atlanta - Testing
Austin - Testing
Charlotte - Testing
Dallas - Testing
Houston - Testing
Las Vegas - Mapping
LA - Mapping
Nashville - Testing???
Phoenix - Service
Raleigh - Mapping
San Diego - Mapping
San Fran - Service

Dubai - Mapping

I understand why they are doing it, since GM is likely pressuring them to become profitable ASAP but I feel like Cruise might be trying to scale too fast. And with the incidents in SF, I worry that Cruise is putting PR and scaling ahead of safety. There is no way they will launch a full fledged 24/7 driverless service in a large geofence in all those cities at once. My guess is they will launch night-only small geofenced services in most of those cities and then try to scale up the geofence. But that is a lot of cities for Cruise to manage all at once.

ABC Good Morning rides with Waymo and Cruise.

At 1:32 mark, we see Cruise poorly handle a man pushing a bin across an intersection. The Cruise almost hits the man, veering at the last second. Cruise apparently told the reporter that this was normal and the man was in no danger. That seems a very poor response. Almost hitting someone is not "no danger".

Reactions: DDotJ
ABC Good Morning rides with Waymo and Cruise.

At 1:32 mark, we see Cruise poorly handle a man pushing a bin across an intersection. The Cruise almost hits the man, veering at the last second. Cruise apparently told the reporter that this was normal and the man was in no danger. That seems a very poor response. Almost hitting someone is not "no danger".

Yup, that was a completely unsafe maneuver and the car should have stopped before it got anywhere remotely near where it did.

First Cruise Origin crash:

Details: Fire officials last month were dispatched to an accident west of the Capitol where a Cruise vehicle had driven off the road and into "a small electrical building," according to Austin Transportation Department records obtained by Axios.
  • "It hit the building with enough force to break some brick off (about an 8-inch hole)," the report said. Cruise representatives reportedly told emergency officials that the vehicle had been in "recovery mode" prior to veering off the road, and no one had witnessed the accident.
  • Because the Cruise Origin prototype had no steering wheel, the report noted, there was "no way for emergency personnel to quickly move it," and they had to wait for a tow truck.

• Informative
Reactions: Dewg
I feel like it could be a big mistake for Cruise to deploy Origin vehicles with no controls if they are going to have reliability issues. That just seems like a recipe for more bad PR with Origin vehicles getting stuck or crashing with no way to easily move the vehicle.

I feel like it could be a big mistake for Cruise to deploy Origin vehicles with no controls if they are going to have reliability issues. That just seems like a recipe for more bad PR with Origin vehicles getting stuck or crashing with no way to easily move the vehicle.
Agreed.

Until they have a quick way to move their cars without human controls (steering wheel...), those controls should still be there in emergency so First Responders can quickly move the disabled vehicle.

Cruise brings a bad reputation to the industry with its refusal to accept mistakes:

“Corporations don’t get tickets when their robot fleets interfere with our first responders, block the box, make illegal turns, run red lights or obstruct traffic — so I guess they are different than human drivers. Innovation is not the problem — corporate exceptionalism and arrogance is,”

Reactions: flutas
How do they compare to Waymo, technology-wise?

I think pretty much everybody would say that Waymo has better technology than Cruise. Waymo has been doing autonomous driving for longer than Cruise. Waymo also has the benefit of the machine learning know-how and compute from Google. Waymo seems to have fewer stalls and remote assistance events. Waymo also has a bigger ODD which would also be a sign of better tech. Waymo is doing driverless 24/7, in rain and fog, on roads up to 50 mph, and testing on highways. Cruise is limited to roads below 25 mph and only doing driverless at night in most places, testing in daytime. Waymo autonomous driving can also read hand gestures of construction workers and emit vocal warnings about its intent ("I need to back up, please give me space") which helps Waymo handle situations where Cruise will just stall. Waymo seems to do a better job with construction zones and yielding to emergency vehicles. Cruise tech seems to be less mature in behavior prediction as we've seen Cruise getting too close to pedestrians crossing the street, not yield for a fire truck or not yield for a red light runner.

Last edited:
How do they compare to Waymo, technology-wise?
They both seem to have the same set of sensor fusion but they have different cultures that affect their software maturity.

Waymo openly accepts criticism and quickly corrects its mistakes.

Cruise is arrogant and boasts that its technology is much more superior than humans and it dismissed human concerns.