Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current favorite tire for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car is a 2018 Stealth Performance with the stock 19" rims and stock tires from that year's Dual Motor All Wheel drive car; what are folks choosing to replace those these days?

I'm not looking to track the car (did that once, all done)

Car does local boring (low speed neighborhood roads) with the occasion longer highway trip where I do find my right foot is a tad heavy. But I also want decent range too

Thoughts?

Pointedly, there are as many opinions on tires as there are… [universal mammalian body parts].

There are some new EV-specific tires that seem to get really impressive effiency, and the Michelin PS4S (summer) and PSAS4 (All-Season) are long-time favorites.

That said, I daily drive on $600-per-set tires so I can race on $1700-per-set tires :p. Could I improve grip, effiency, or comfort with better tires? Almost certainly. But… that’s a cost everyone has to weigh.

• Helpful
Reactions: Tiger and Msjulie
Pointedly, there are as many opinions on tires as there are… [universal mammalian body parts].

There are some new EV-specific tires that seem to get really impressive effiency, and the Michelin PS4S (summer) and PSAS4 (All-Season) are long-time favorites.

That said, I daily drive on $600-per-set tires so I can race on $1700-per-set tires :p. Could I improve grip, effiency, or comfort with better tires? Almost certainly. But… that’s a cost everyone has to weigh.
Is that $600 installed? If so, what tires are you using and how good are they in the rain?

Is that $600 installed? If so, what tires are you using and how good are they in the rain?
I’ll admit the ‘$600’ claim was more like $650 ($180 of that was installation at my house) for my last two sets. Most of my daily tires have averaged about $750-800 installed, either sorting by price and stopping at "good enough," or finding something on sale. Honestly it got easier for me to feel fine about cheaper tires once I stopped trying to get one tire to be good at everything.

There are plenty of imported options that might indeed be manufactured using techniques from 20 years ago that are still perfectly safe. I have never had a safety or performance concern that would have been markedly mitigated by better tires of the same class.

Last edited:
I'm confused
I’ll admit the ‘$600’ claim was more like $670, and was the cheapest I’ve ever paid. Most of my daily tires have averaged about $800 installed, either sorting by price and stopping at "good enough," or finding something on sale.

There are plenty of imported options that might indeed be manufactured using techniques from 20 years ago that are still perfectly safe. I have never had a safety or performance concern that would have been markedly mitigated by better tires of the same class.
by your statement because I definitely disagree. It may be a personal thing, BUT anyone that races would be on my side. That is why I am confused. I agree that Walmart tires are "safe". That isn't an issue with me. But to say that they "perform" comparably is very different. Cheap tires simply harden WAY faster from heat cycling because of the inferior lamination techniques and lower quality materials. Basically, as tires were more like 40 years ago. Your reference to 20 is a bit off too. The current Michelin PS4s is over 20 years old in tech and DOMINATES compared to value tires. I don't mean to argue or be rude, but I felt your post was misleading, especially for those that may not have experience with it.

Based on mostly positive reviews, including TMC members, the Sailun ERange is probably the only non-big branded "cheaper" tire I would consider. Buuut, still probably go with Hankooks (which used to be a non-big branded cheap tire not too long ago).

Sailun Erange 235/40r19s on Ebay are 2 tires for $243 shipped. Pretty good deal.

The Hankook Ion Evo AS seems like a clear winner for those of us who need summer/winter, but not snow tires. Probably appropriate for Norcal.

Reactions: DrChaos and Pommie
I still have yet to find dry/wet brake test results for the Sailun eRange tires. I really like the price point and the reported efficiency figures... but until now every other Sailun tire is near the bottom of the list for dry braking, wet braking, handling, etc and this tire is not trustworthy until someone tests them IMO