Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon take that strike back.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

GonePlaid

Supporting Member
Sep 16, 2023
Tulsa, OK
I’ve been Running on FSD12.6 which has been pretty solid till yesterday.

On a particular stretch of hwy 169 in south Tulsa the lanes get quite tricky. The two right lanes go to the right and wrap over to become the creek nation turnpike east, the center lane is an exit lane to 91st st and the left two lanes connect to the creek turnpike west.

Now, if you are coming up to this junction you had better have a plan in place in advance because lots of folks wait till the last minute to try and figure it out- which is a real problem and exactly how FSD 12.6 try’s to handle it.

While approaching this kerfuffle, I was looking for entry into the 91St st lane while monitoring FSD. When it became obvious that FSD was going to fail at this, and at the same time, I reached for the steering wheel all the FSD alarm violations went off and it shut down.

Now, this was the first time I had experienced this and with multiple cases converging at 70mph. I really did not have time to read the very informative but absolutely wrong screen stating I was in attentive and this was strike one. The car slowed immediately risking a rear end collision while barking orders at me.

I am relatively sure what I did avoided a 70 crash.

Anyway, I bring this before the Musk FSD court in hopes of a dismissal of the charge:)

I also hope this was captured via video for input into the library of things that could go wrong.

Reactions: dhrivnak
I’ve been Running on FSD12.6 which has been pretty solid till yesterday.

On a particular stretch of hwy 169 in south Tulsa the lanes get quite tricky. The two right lanes go to the right and wrap over to become the creek nation turnpike east, the center lane is an exit lane to 91st st and the left two lanes connect to the creek turnpike west.

Now, if you are coming up to this junction you had better have a plan in place in advance because lots of folks wait till the last minute to try and figure it out- which is a real problem and exactly how FSD 12.6 try’s to handle it.

While approaching this kerfuffle, I was looking for entry into the 91St st lane while monitoring FSD. When it became obvious that FSD was going to fail at this, and at the same time, I reached for the steering wheel all the FSD alarm violations went off and it shut down.

Now, this was the first time I had experienced this and with multiple cases converging at 70mph. I really did not have time to read the very informative but absolutely wrong screen stating I was in attentive and this was strike one. The car slowed immediately risking a rear end collision while barking orders at me.

I am relatively sure what I did avoided a 70 crash.

Anyway, I bring this before the Musk FSD court in hopes of a dismissal of the charge:)

I also hope this was captured via video for input into the library of things that could go wrong.
When it disengaged did you record a message?

Also, a strike happens very quickly on occasion especially when the CPU is busy and your style is hands off. For the 2nd time in 2 years (latest this week) was on FSD at 84 MPH on wide open interstate, going through a well marked lane shift for construction, when it went immediately to the audible alert, and it goes to a strike in < 1 second before i can alleviate. No toaster pop-up, no flashing light. Had a very similar incident a year ago and it feels like computer lag.

That happened on HW3 and was my 2nd strike out of 3 (no interior camera). My son as a newbie put on my first strike a month ago. Since I had another 500 miles to go and only 1 strike left, I modified my driving style to hang one hand on the wheel (which I feel is less safe) but never had more than a rare pop-up at the same speeds for the duration.

My theory is that it's possible in higher complexity situations but speculation based on my 2 similar strikes.

Screenshot_20240519-075142_Tesla.jpg
I think it goes off at the end of the month.

• Informative
Reactions: zoomer0056
Your case and request were nullified with this single statement. Your hands are supposed to be on the wheel at all times. Thanks for playing.
Well, I misspoke. I had my hands on the wheel and pulled control from FSD or it all happened at the same time.

Although rather tongue in cheek, it was a failure of FSD first because it did not recognize the correct path of travel and was going to ether cause an accident or at a minimum putme on a turnpike I did not want to be on.

Moral, be very ready to take over, especially when the options ahead look very complicated.

One has to be very careful not to get a strike. I guess that is good for safety reasons. My only gripe is that mine happened all at the same time that I knew FSD would fail to make my exit, dangerous conditions around me to try and force my way over.

I took over at the same time FSD went crazy with alerts.

It was a comedy of errors. I won’t use FSD on that stretch of highway again.