Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front motor disabled, in reverse?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The issue I’m having with my 15 ms85d is, it is going into limp mode (pic attached) most notably when I let off the accelerator at highway speeds and it goes into regen. It will also do it if it is put in reverse. When in reverse I have to apply throttle for it to trip, or if it is trying to creep up an incline. To make a long story short, I have had the vehicle to a sc (hoping it would be the front drive motor and still under warranty) and they came back saying it needs a new harness and quoted me over $3k to do which I said no Thankyou, and paid the diagnostic fee. I figured I will try to fix the issue myself if I can get it narrowed down. Anyone have a similar issue? All input is welcomed. Thank you in advance

Attachments

• IMG_1282.jpeg
    IMG_1282.jpeg
    408.6 KB · Views: 105
Follow up on the issue. Mobile service literally became available right after we drove two states away to be told it needs a harness. The diag fee was $75 so what would it hurt to get a second opinion. Guy shows up and gets frunk all tore apart and said he had it narrowed down to the connector going to the front drive motor. He was willing to show me where this was and what he was doing which was nice. Unfortunately he said there was nothing he could do either bcause he couldn’t service the connector or he wasn’t allowed to, I don’t remember which. Anyways I decline to have the harness replaced again and he leaves. I begin wiggling the harness near the connector with the ignition on and I can hear it fault out when I move the wires. So there is definitely a loose connection in the plug itself and I can feel this as well. I decided to cut a 1/2”x1” section of gorilla tape and wrap it tightly around the wires to hold tension on them. It’s almost a year later and 10k+ miles and have not had an issue since. If anyone is interested I can pull the frunk out and post some pics of the harness.

• Informative
Reactions: UncleCreepy