Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Grasshopper

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very exciting to see Elon's tweet about how they believe they have all the pieces. I wonder how many people will understand the significance of the achievement once accomplished? Hoping for a majority because after all it is 'rocket science' ;)

More Grasshopper tests coming up fairly soon it appears.

At around the 1:30 mark the announcer (Jessica) from SpaceX states:

"The next set of tests that we are going to do for Grasshopper you should stay tuned: we are going to be doing a series of increasing altitude tests and some more aggressive steering manoeuvers. We are going to be doing a few more tests in McGregor. We are also going to be running some tests at Spaceport America in New Mexico. So be sure to stay tuned for those. "

It will also be interesting to see how the McGregor FAA permit gets extended since the permit is only good thru October 17th..

[video]http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=32718.225#msg1105906[/video]

Well I guess fairly soon meant today:smile: No detail yet.

Twitter / mkelly007: A friend in Mcgregor, Texas ...

Grasshopper 10-07.PNG

I read in an article (sorry no link) that this would be the last test of the grasshopper and after this they were switching to a different VTOL rocket ... can anyone confirm or deny this?

"Following the successful test flight carried out on October 8, SpaceX's Grasshopper v1.0 is to be retired, and will be replaced by Grasshopper v1.1, which is also known as the Falcon 9 Reusable development vehicle."

So Discoducky don't worry there will be more cool videos for you and your son:smile:

Here is additional information. http://www.gizmag.com/grasshopper-retires-altitude-record/29384/

I read in an article (sorry no link) that this would be the last test of the grasshopper and after this they were switching to a different VTOL rocket ... can anyone confirm or deny this?
I've seen varying opinions on this (last flight of this "Grasshopper 1" test rocket) but nothing official from SpaceX AFAIK. This last test-flight did go right up to the 2500-foot test ceiling for the McGregor, TX test site though. So the only thing future tests could do is test a larger sideways 'divert' maneuver maybe.

Higher-flying tests will move to Spaceport America, NM. Not sure when this move will take place though. SpaceX is working on a "newer Grasshopper" though, based on the latest 1.1 rocket, with 3 engines instead of 1, and incorporating the landing legs that will be used on the real thing. But no details yet on exactly how it will all work, what tests will be done, or when.

Higher-flying tests will move to Spaceport America, NM. Not sure when this move will take place though. SpaceX is working on a "newer Grasshopper" though, based on the latest 1.1 rocket, with 3 engines instead of 1, and incorporating the landing legs that will be used on the real thing. But no details yet on exactly how it will all work, what tests will be done, or when.

Elon said that the data from the last Falcon 9 1.1 indicates that they could have reusability by the end of next year. Even doubling that time frame means that tests should be happening at a much greater pace.