Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X suspension is a waste

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I currently have a 2023 MX. While the car was in service they gave me a 2023 MS loaner. I noticed that the suspension defaults to Medium (not just low all the time like the MX). The ride was much better. Im not sure why they even bother with all the suspension options on the MX. Once you go over 55 it defaults to low. If you park with it in Med, when you return to the car it changes back to low again. The only override is to set at high, which is remembers (even when parked) but only to 35MPH. I find myself constantly changing the suspension back to medium. Why did they do this on The MX but not the MS?

You don’t want any X on anything higher than “low”… and ideally you need to be on “very low”… the front half shafts are at a very bad angle and will give out eventually if you drive it on “med” or higher…

And yes- the x suspension is … garbage. But at least in the Plaid it has an excuse as any suspension sustaining 1000hp/tq will be rough. It iis the nature of the beast…

Why did they do this on The MX but not the MS?
I suspect the answer to this is actually pretty simple. I think they use the same equipment on the S and the X, but low on the X is the same height as medium on the S. Due to the previously mentioned half shaft angles, regularly driving at a higher level than that is likely to lead to shudder and perhaps eventual premature failure (also previously mentioned).

I have an a 2022 X LR, and just recently had to take it in for service. They provided me a 2022 S LR loaner and was quite surprised to find the ride worse or, at best, equal to the X. I was also surprised that it had more wind noise than the X. Both cars have ~25,000 miles, so similar wear / tear.

I am talking about normal driving, up to and including freeway speeds. No high performance stuff... I am sure in a performance situation, the S will be better than the X, primarily due to the lower CG.