Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mp3 stuck at 16 amp charging after using public charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I've been using my home OHME pro home charger for 6 months and it's been working fine. I used a public charger for the first time while on holiday ( non Tesla ) since I've come home it does charge over 16 amps. I've restarted the charger , hard reset the charger via the fuse box.

This makes me think it's the car and the public charger somehow set this beha
1000064143.png
vior off .

I don't have access to anyone with a EV to test my charger so I was thinking if I use a public charger would it work the same as my Ohme and therefore if it's stuck at 16 amps it's the car that's the issue ?

Btw 2019 mp3 70k millage.

Have you checked that the car setting for charge current hasn't been altered?

Looks from the screen shot, as car is plugged in, that charge point is only offering max 16A.

This is communicated from the charge point to the car using the pilot pin.

If car is not plugged in then I believe it will show max 16A.

Also worth stating that charge current is location aware, so if you plug in to a charge point at a different location then it will automatically select a different charge rate. But this should not affect max charge rate offering.

Finally, some software versions have broken charge rate, but it’s been a long time since I have heard of anyone mentioning that. But if you are on some oddball software version…

That very much depends on the charger itself. It very well may be less than 16A. But at least you'd have another data point in trying to solve this.

Have you opened a ticket with Tesla support?
Not yet , id like to work out if it's the car or charger before I start spending money. It just seems odd that after a public charger its caused an issue

So I've been using my home OHME pro home charger for 6 months and it's been working fine. I used a public charger for the first time while on holiday ( non Tesla ) since I've come home it does charge over 16 amps. I've restarted the charger , hard reset the charger via the fuse box.

This makes me think it's the car and the public charger somehow set this behaView attachment 1044760vior off .

I don't have access to anyone with a EV to test my charger so I was thinking if I use a public charger would it work the same as my Ohme and therefore if it's stuck at 16 amps it's the car that's the issue ?

Btw 2019 mp3 70k millage.
Seeing the age of your car, you may want to investigate the onboard “power conversion system” (PCS).

It’s a line replaceable unit (LRU), that is electrically setup into three 16 amp thirds; if one or two sections of that LRU fail, one can see their normal 48 amp charging capacity drop to 32 amps or 16 amps.

When my PCS acted up, I thought it was my home wall connector.

Much troubleshooting had to happen before I could convince Tesla there was an issue with the car and not my home connector.

Apparently this LRU was improved sometime in 2019.

Some background for context:

Reactions: Tom85
Onboard charger fault is a good call. I don't know if the service menu might warn for that. You'd have to have 2 of the 3 modules fail for 16a max

I think your best next step is to try against another charger (Neighbour? Friend?) and see if you're capped to 16a on that as well. Unfortunately you won't be able to test using the granny charger as that won't push enough power from a 13a plug.

Reactions: Tom85 and navguy12
Onboard charger fault is a good call. I don't know if the service menu might warn for that. You'd have to have 2 of the 3 modules fail for 16a max

I think your best next step is to try against another charger (Neighbour? Friend?) and see if you're capped to 16a on that as well. Unfortunately you won't be able to test using the granny charger as that won't push enough power from a 13a plug.
and or get someone local to plug into your charger and confirm they are seeing 32amps....

I assume your home charger is tethered? i.e. you weren't using the same cable on the public charger and home so we can rule that out as not a common factor?