Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY 2024 Refresh - Project Juniper?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Drive a highland 3 and imagine a juniper Y even better. Trust me…it’s resistible. Lol
The new 3 performance is awesome looking. The new seats are great. I also have a current 3 pre refresh and I don’t really want 2 identical looking cars. Therefore I am really hoping the new y is a larger 3 performance and then I will buy

It's really the same with any car models regardless of brands. The refresh version will generally age the outgoing version.
The fact that EVs are perceived as more like an electronic device (phone, computer etc) on wheels exacerbates aging process. Buyers of current Y just need to come to terms with this. Nothing new here. I find the 2024 Y drives very nicely. It's even a Fremont built!
But the Highland is few rungs higher level of refinement as a total package. I can only imagine the improvements Juniper will bring.

Last edited:
I've read the last 5 pages of this thread but didn't see any mention of Jupiter having Powershare or an optional spare tire. Any word on these two items? Thanks.
LoL.
I can bet you a Cybertruck, the new one wont have a spare tire. You can buy a spare tire and keep it in the trunk. But you can do that for any Tesla. Nobody hauls around with a spare anymore. It aint the 90s and the roadside services and quick slime kits have come a long way.
As for the powershare, I am much less concerned about the car coming with it, and more about how a person can make their home compatible with a poweshare. It requires a whole bunch of equipment, like powerwall, disconnects and powerswitching circuits in home, to make the powershare work. You cant just plug the car into 'Tesla Universal Charger' and expect to light up the whole house.

I've read the last 5 pages of this thread but didn't see any mention of Jupiter having Powershare or an optional spare tire. Any word on these two items? Thanks.
Highly unlikely in both cases IMO. Tesla is in cost reduction mode right now, (net) adds seem unlikely. Lots of make/model cars don't have spares anymore and continue trending that way, and most people don't need/want PowerShare enough to pay for it (it won't be "free").

Reactions: navguy12
Anybody who buys a Model Y now is crazy. The low interest rates will still be around after Juniper because Tesla can't move inventory to save itself. Juniper won't change that trajectory. Only a new CEO with business sense can do that. One that isn't prone to self-destruction.

This is my debate at the moment. The new model Y will of course be "better", and keep value longer. But how MUCH better is the price hike going to be?

If I could buy now knowing it had HW4, an illuminated / textured dash change, I would go for it. But the main thing putting me off a new Jupiter Y would be if it no longer has stalks.

This is my debate at the moment. The new model Y will of course be "better", and keep value longer. But how MUCH better is the price hike going to be?

If I could buy now knowing it had HW4, an illuminated / textured dash change, I would go for it. But the main thing putting me off a new Jupiter Y would be if it no longer has stalks.
It won't have stalks. Ideally it won't have a steering wheel. Unless you can wait 18 months plus to actually get one, I would buy now.

The current model Y has all of the upgrades available and is the best EV SUV for the price. You can always wait and get stuck waiting forever.
Don't buy, they are going to bring out a new one soon.
Don't buy the first year of new production.
Don't buy until they put stalks back in......
Just keep waiting.
If you can wait a year or two then wait, you're waiting anyway. If you need a new family SUV now, the Y LR can't be beat.

The current model Y has all of the upgrades available and is the best EV SUV for the price. You can always wait and get stuck waiting forever.
Don't buy, they are going to bring out a new one soon.
Don't buy the first year of new production.
Don't buy until they put stalks back in......
Just keep waiting.
If you can wait a year or two then wait, you're waiting anyway. If you need a new family SUV now, the Y LR can't be beat.
This reminds me of a couple years ago when everyone was holding out for the 4680-equipped MY. How did that turn out? The current iteration of the 4680 was only available in a standard/lower range model and the charge curve is much less efficient than the 2170 models. the 4680's certainly have not lived up to their billing by Elon (surprise). The lesson here is, you can wait but while you do, you're missing out on an awful lot - and the car you're waiting for may not be all it's cracked up to be.

My view :
1) The Model Y has never been refreshed since unveiling in 2019, 5 years ago.
2) The Model Y is about to be refreshed for 2025.
3) For a view into what will be the Refresh, Tesla has provided us a guide. Look at the Highland Model 3 new features (exterior looks, suspension, cabin noise, cooled seats, efficiency, rear screen, etc). This is the same platform as the Y.

I would wait another year.

My view :
3) For a view into what will be the Refresh, Tesla has provided us a guide. Look at the Highland Model 3 new features (exterior looks, suspension, cabin noise, cooled seats, efficiency, rear screen, etc). This is the same platform as the Y.

Where is it said that 2025 is guaranteed?

This reminds me of a couple years ago when everyone was holding out for the 4680-equipped MY. How did that turn out? The current iteration of the 4680 was only available in a standard/lower range model and the charge curve is much less efficient than the 2170 models. the 4680's certainly have not lived up to their billing by Elon (surprise). The lesson here is, you can wait but while you do, you're missing out on an awful lot - and the car you're waiting for may not be all it's cracked up to be.
The main difference this time though is that we can get a good idea of what Juniper will bring if we look at Highland. We had no idea what a 4680 Y would bring and it was all speculation until release.

Reactions: cusetownusa
Where is it said that 2025 is guaranteed?

Based on the M3H, we should be seeing some spy shots and parts evidence by now. IIRC M3H dropped in China and EU around this time last year. But yeah no guarantees for 2025 being year of the Juniper. Guess we will know soon enough.

Some idle thoughts on should Tesla launch Juniper soon or not:
  • While overall EV sales have tapered. The Y is still pretty strong, probably even beating the M3H. Not sure if there is a rush for it and instead squeeze out every last drop of Y inventory. Perhaps China market would necessitate the decision.
  • Assuming Y and 3 continue to share major parts, tooling and supply chain would become a challenge to maintain the manufacturing distinction b/t the newer Highland and the mkI Y. Therefore aligning them sooner makes costing sense.
  • Keeping in mind of the new US tariffs, are the current Giga plants set up to build Juniper at scale? Can you imagine the backlog?
  • Last unrelated question.... what is the purpose of the Model X these days given how good the Y is?

Original S 2012-2016 4 yrs
Facelift S 2016-2021 5 yrs
Current S - 2021+ - present
Thus Original 2012-2021+ 9 yrs

Original 3 to highland 2018-2024. 6yrs
Original Y to Juniper 2020 - 202x ? X yrs

Perhaps the timeline for overhauls may be reducing as the industry and company matures. At the least if MY follows M3 update timelines, it would be 2026 before we see it. If overhauls are getting faster and more efficient, then perhaps 5 yrs now and 2025.

Hmmm 🤔

Last edited:
My view :

The Y has had a lot of upgrades. They are just all under the skin or small tweaks that you don't "see".
A new Y is probably at least a year away and it will ramp slow, just like the 3. It will also be in high demand for at least a year while it ramps, limiting incentives. I have driven the new 3 and current Y. I picked the Y.
If you have 1-2 years to wait then do it. The MYP will be even longer.
FYI The model 3 Performance thread started 7 months ago and they are just starting to roll out cars. it's been over a year since the the M3P has been produced.

Last edited:
Reactions: Destiny1701
LoL.
I can bet you a Cybertruck, the new one wont have a spare tire. You can buy a spare tire and keep it in the trunk. But you can do that for any Tesla. Nobody hauls around with a spare anymore. It aint the 90s and the roadside services and quick slime kits have come a long way.
As for the powershare, I am much less concerned about the car coming with it, and more about how a person can make their home compatible with a poweshare. It requires a whole bunch of equipment, like powerwall, disconnects and powerswitching circuits in home, to make the powershare work. You cant just plug the car into 'Tesla Universal Charger' and expect to light up the whole house.
Call me "old school", but I like a spare tire. Yes, they can be hard to come by, but my 2022 Lincoln Corsair PHEV has one. My Corvette does not and cannot, but it comes with Michelin run-flats. I'm aware there is a third-party spare that doesn't quite fit in a MY. All I'm asking for is a slight trunk modification so a spare can be offered as a factory option. Sometimes a tire can be damaged beyond what roadside service & a slime kit can do. Happened to me in the middle of rural Kansas. A full-size spare kept me going 100 miles until I could buy a new replacement tire.

I have solar & two Powerwalls. Sufficient if I have mostly sunny days. Insufficient for continuous cloudy days. It's cheaper & more versatile to have an EV for additional battery storage than more Powerwalls. Only additional hardware required is the new wall connector, $580. While I do like the MY and the current price is appealing, about the only reason I would voluntarily buy an EV in the next few years is Powershare.