Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid Drag Racing - Not such a great night

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I should get some no prep 1/8mi regular 22 LR times tomorrow at pikes peak. Will be curious since I’m used to 1/4mi I normally am not about 1/8mi
Depending on the hole, will probably be 6.2ish. you'll get better competition on the 1/8 because a lot of drag cars are set up for 1/8. Beyond that, it usually just creates unnecessary wear because the race was already over

Sorry, I keep expecting everyone that races to be in a plaid. No idea what the LR runs
Best 1/8mi mile time was 7.17 not fully set up drag mode at about 80% state of charge. Also on a completely unwrapped surface. This makes me happy since when drag times did his run. He was running a 7.12 on a prepped surface. I didn’t get a mile per hour because They don’t give slips. But that roughly fits with what dragtimes was getting. I got some video that I have to post process and put together.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sam1
Best 1/8mi mile time was 7.17 not fully set up drag mode at about 80% state of charge. Also on a completely unwrapped surface. This makes me happy since when drag times did his run. He was running a 7.12 on a prepped surface. I didn’t get a mile per hour because They don’t give slips. But that roughly fits with what dragtimes was getting. I got some video that I have to post process and put together.
That's pretty fast...too many people downplay how fast they are because they compare it to a plaid. But 7.1 on the 1/8 is a fast car.

That's pretty fast...too many people downplay how fast they are because they compare it to a plaid. But 7.1 on the 1/8 is a fast car.
I mean overall there wasn’t much there that pulled on me at all. The main downfall was the time for launch control vs other cars. I raced a modified TTRS that pulled off the line then I was reeling in but not before the 1/8th.
The interesting thing I noticed is that at one point I over staged and had to put the car in reverse and back up then go into drive. On that go the car bogged so hard it took like a second or 2 after mashing the pedal for the car to feel like it was accelerating like normal.
Went around and did another pass and just mashed the accelerator and the car took off perfectly. Not sure if there is some safety thing built into the programming that if the car is just going back into drive after being in reverse if it sandbags the launch.
I also was using the Wallace 1/8 to 1/4 converter and it seems to be predicting some slow ass times in the 1/4 based on my 1/8th time and speed which doesn’t match with dragtimes but I have friends who swear by Wallace

I mean overall there wasn’t much there that pulled on me at all. The main downfall was the time for launch control vs other cars. I raced a modified TTRS that pulled off the line then I was reeling in but not before the 1/8th.
The interesting thing I noticed is that at one point I over staged and had to put the car in reverse and back up then go into drive. On that go the car bogged so hard it took like a second or 2 after mashing the pedal for the car to feel like it was accelerating like normal.
Went around and did another pass and just mashed the accelerator and the car took off perfectly. Not sure if there is some safety thing built into the programming that if the car is just going back into drive after being in reverse if it sandbags the launch.
I also was using the Wallace 1/8 to 1/4 converter and it seems to be predicting some slow ass times in the 1/4 based on my 1/8th time and speed which doesn’t match with dragtimes but I have friends who swear by Wallace
I had to turn off pedestrian/object detection, had that happen a couple times in the left lane. My best time there last month was a 6.39, creeping up into the 6.5X range. Most passes I was spinning for a good 150-200 feet, it's a very slick surface. I may go back this Saturday and try running completely out of the groove. Normal street times are in the 6.1X-6.2X range. I completely abandoned Cheetah mode and tried combinations of flat-footing it or trying to walk it out of the hole. Should be about 20 degrees warmer this weekend which will help. I don't care what the numbers are, it's just fun destroying everything that shows up.

I had to turn off pedestrian/object detection, had that happen a couple times in the left lane. My best time there last month was a 6.39, creeping up into the 6.5X range. Most passes I was spinning for a good 150-200 feet, it's a very slick surface. I may go back this Saturday and try running completely out of the groove. Normal street times are in the 6.1X-6.2X range. I completely abandoned Cheetah mode and tried combinations of flat-footing it or trying to walk it out of the hole. Should be about 20 degrees warmer this weekend which will help. I don't care what the numbers are, it's just fun destroying everything that shows up.
I had a great time beating most stuff and I was only in a LR haha. There was a trackhawk there on some brand of tire radials that I’ve never heard of and he was spinning all over the place. His times were atrocious and he was all over the lane.

Just
when you guys are racing no prep/ flashlight starts/pro tree ( when you can't anticipate the green) do you use LC or just floor it. i feel like i have a slight start delay when using LC ( cheetah mode)
out of curiosity how long have you had the car in drive when you line up? I ran into something similar the other weekend but I only noticed it when I overstaged and had to back up then go into drive.

when you guys are racing no prep/ flashlight starts/pro tree ( when you can't anticipate the green) do you use LC or just floor it. i feel like i have a slight start delay when using LC ( cheetah mode)

Depends on the surface and how much time I have to stage. Sometimes normal plaid mode is faster off the line than LC. Sometimes drag mode without LC is faster, and sometimes track mode with TC turned all the way up is faster than the other two options.

You need to be able to figure out the surface you're on. If possible do a few test launches and see which works best.

Similar happened to me at an event a few weeks ago. I'll be keeping tape in the trunk to put over the cameras and sensors when there's a money race moving forward. Lost that one because the flagger stepped a little into my lane and the car wouldn't launch even though obstacle aware acceleration was disabled.

Similar happened to me at an event a few weeks ago. I'll be keeping tape in the trunk to put over the cameras and sensors when there's a money race moving forward. Lost that one because the flagger stepped a little into my lane and the car wouldn't launch even though obstacle aware acceleration was disabled.
yep my obstacle aware acceleration is disabled as well yet. i feel like there is a slight delay leaving from LC and more instant just flooring it.

yep my obstacle aware acceleration is disabled as well yet. i feel like there is a slight delay leaving from LC and more instant just flooring it.
That's because it does a more significant weight transfer to the rear end. It also could be the tires turning over a little more as drag mode allows for more rear wheel spin. Hard to know which is which because it happens so fast, but you can feel it.

I think I’ll be back there on Saturday also so I might see you