Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Please Charge for Zero Minutes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder how this recommendation came about:

20231027_105408.jpg

Ugh. Programmer didn't account for corner case and QA didn't catch it. The algorithm indicates a supercharger stop when the predicted charge first hits 15%, meaning 15.99%. But then the algorithm goes on to calculate what the final destination amount will be, and it computes 15% again (meaning down to 15.00%) with 0 increased charge being added.

Programmer just wasn't very careful and didn't think about rounding and bunch of other things.

Being a programmer myself, this absolutely triggers me!

I wish there was a way to tell Tesla of this BUG, but of course, there isn't.

Ugh. Programmer didn't account for corner case and QA didn't catch it. The algorithm indicates a supercharger stop when the predicted charge first hits 15%, meaning 15.99%. But then the algorithm goes on to calculate what the final destination amount will be, and it computes 15% again (meaning down to 15.00%) with 0 increased charge being added.

Programmer just wasn't very careful and didn't think about rounding and bunch of other things.

Being a programmer myself, this absolutely triggers me!

I wish there was a way to tell Tesla of this BUG, but of course, there isn't.
My thoughts exactly.

The Tesla algorithm for Supercharger stops leaves something to be desired at times. I had one case where it rerouted after I left a Supercharger then tried to send me right back to the Supercharger I just left. I didn't even get to the on-ramp. It suddenly decided I should add another three minutes. Forget that there were at least two Superchargers along my route I had enough range to reach.

Tesla charging algorithm is only advisory. A smart guy will look at the data and make his own decision on how long to charge.

Same with navigation. Driver takes the suggested route into consideration, but is free to go an alternative way if his brain indicates it will be best.

Reactions: pilotSteve