Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POLL: vibration felt when slightly accelerating refresh Mode S Plaid or LR

Are you experiencing this issue with your Plaid or LR refresh?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just checked the vote results (not part of it as I don’t own an S and also don’t have says vibration in my X yet). Sad. “Glass smooth” with about 25% probability. And that’s definitely a statistically significant number of votes though there could be negative bias due to the thread topic.

Ok, so aside from the “glass smooth” debate, which is a bit of a distraction from the topic, I decided it was time for me to do true road force balance check as I never thought my MXP was glass smooth and a Tesla tech riding with me for an unrelated test drive told me he thought my front passenger wheel was off or could be bent.

Indeed RF was measured at:

Left Front - 10
Right Front - 37
Left Rear - 20
Right Rear - 17

As you can see RF is too high and not in balance with LF. The balancing did not reveal a bent wheel though so the tire tech suspects “a front axle” issue.

Could this be the infamous half shaft showing signs of distress? Note that this isn’t like the vibrations others describe, it’s more like a feel of something not being quite smooth.

Also tire tech wrote:

“R/F axle boot torn and losing grease. Could contribute to vibrations”

What does this mean?

Will take these numbers for my next SC visit at Tesla in 2 weeks. Any recommendations on what to do to figure this out?

Last edited:
Ok, so aside from the “glass smooth” debate, which is a bit of a distraction from the topic, I decided it was time for me to do true road force balance check as I never thought my MXP was glass smooth and a Tesla tech riding with me for an unrelated test drive told me he thought my front passenger wheel was off or could be bent.

Indeed RF was measured at:

Left Front - 10
Right Front - 37
Left Rear - 20
Right Rear - 17

As you can see RF is too high and not in balance with LF. The balancing did not reveal a bent wheel though so the tire tech suspects “a front axle” issue.

Could this be the infamous half shaft showing signs of distress? Note that this isn’t like the vibrations others describe, it’s more like a feel of something not being quite smooth.

Also tire tech wrote:

“R/F axle boot torn and losing grease. Could contribute to vibrations”

What does this mean?

Will take these numbers for my next SC visit at Tesla in 2 weeks. Any recommendations on what to do to figure this out?

If the front right measured 37 off the car and on the balancer, then that alone will cause the issue.

Yes but why would it measure so? Wonky tire?

I guess he is saying there are two separate issues - wonky wheel / tire and leaky half shaft boot.

He wrote “R/F axle boot torn and losing grease” - isn’t that a sign of failing half shaft? Axle boot is the end of it no?

Aside from asking Tesla to look at the half shaft, is my option to also replace the wheel/ tire? What’s the standard way to figure what’s off? Under 40 is considered acceptable road force but I don’t like the difference between left and right - it’s definitely felt.

Last edited: