Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Refreshed" Model S model VIBRATION tracking and information thread!!!

What version of "Refreshed" Model S do you drive?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@wk057 Do you know if the ride height can be lowered in the alignment settings?

It can't. The only way to lower the car without lowering links is to do a ride height calibration with Toolbox 3 and LIE about height of the 4 measurement reference points. So if you want to lower the car by an inch, you have to add an inch to the measured height of each reference location.

It can't. The only way to lower the car without lowering links is to do a ride height calibration with Toolbox 3 and LIE about height of the 4 measurement reference points. So if you want to lower the car by an inch, you have to add an inch to the measured height of each reference location.
That's what I meant. Lie about the height of the reference points and then it should lower the car....

I have RF535 MS Plaid manufactured ~Feb 2024 w/ March delivery. Described vibration was noted soon after delivery, on second drive as I recall. I wasn't previously aware of this issue only discovering this blog after research. After nearly a month delay to schedule service... I took car into service where Tech was able to duplicate the problem. He noted this was abnormal and didn't seem to be aware of any issues with the Plaid. After a couple days of troubleshooting to include disconnecting each drive independently (noting issue prevailed with either drive motor disconnected) and subsequently having another Plaid that just came in with the same issue (only it apparently didn't clear up after a few minutes of driving)... he found an engineering note that this was an issue with other cars. What the issue was seemed to be under investigation by engineering possibly to be addressed by a future software update. Before finding this note... the Tech was saying a new drive motor may be needed, he just couldn't tell front or back. The returned the car to me saying I'd have to wait for resolution. After the visit... the service summary said: "Confirmed concern.... This was a known characteristic that affects Plaid vehicles. Concern may be mitigated with future firmware updates. No further repair recommended at this time." This "known" issue apparently was not known by this service center until troubleshooting and researching the issue with my car. It's interesting that not all vehicles seem to be affected... at least not reported. Note that driving in the lowest setting didn't seem to make any difference in my case. From the mechanics perspective, this doesn't appear to be a drive shaft issue but more a drive motor related issue, maybe in the sensing and motor control... ie possibly addressed by firmware. It's apparent engineering does not yet have a handle or at least a fix for the problem for all vehicles. Note that my service summary did not address SB-23-00-006 nor another service bulletin as a correction, even though this was referenced when scheduling service, listed in the concern and personally discussed with the Tech when I dropped off the car.

I have RF535 MS Plaid manufactured ~Feb 2024 w/ March delivery. Described vibration was noted soon after delivery, on second drive as I recall. I wasn't previously aware of this issue only discovering this blog after research. After nearly a month delay to schedule service... I took car into service where Tech was able to duplicate the problem. He noted this was abnormal and didn't seem to be aware of any issues with the Plaid. After a couple days of troubleshooting to include disconnecting each drive independently (noting issue prevailed with either drive motor disconnected) and subsequently having another Plaid that just came in with the same issue (only it apparently didn't clear up after a few minutes of driving)... he found an engineering note that this was an issue with other cars. What the issue was seemed to be under investigation by engineering possibly to be addressed by a future software update. Before finding this note... the Tech was saying a new drive motor may be needed, he just couldn't tell front or back. The returned the car to me saying I'd have to wait for resolution. After the visit... the service summary said: "Confirmed concern.... This was a known characteristic that affects Plaid vehicles. Concern may be mitigated with future firmware updates. No further repair recommended at this time." This "known" issue apparently was not known by this service center until troubleshooting and researching the issue with my car. It's interesting that not all vehicles seem to be affected... at least not reported. Note that driving in the lowest setting didn't seem to make any difference in my case. From the mechanics perspective, this doesn't appear to be a drive shaft issue but more a drive motor related issue, maybe in the sensing and motor control... ie possibly addressed by firmware. It's apparent engineering does not yet have a handle or at least a fix for the problem for all vehicles. Note that my service summary did not address SB-23-00-006 nor another service bulletin as a correction, even though this was referenced when scheduling service, listed in the concern and personally discussed with the Tech when I dropped off the car.

Did you try going into track mode and shifting the torque bias to the rear? That should completely eliminate it if it is the same problem we have.

Did you try going into track mode and shifting the torque bias to the rear? That should completely eliminate it if it is the same problem we have.
This. I suspect this solves the issue though of course it’s not a fix. I do hope that Tesla can further improve the vibration mitigation because it’s definitely not perfect or even close to it. Some days I notice it more than others. Some days it’s not great at all and some days it’s very mild.

This. I suspect this solves the issue though of course it’s not a fix. I do hope that Tesla can further improve the vibration mitigation because it’s definitely not perfect or even close to it. Some days I notice it more than others. Some days it’s not great at all and some days it’s very mild.
Are you talking about the 40-50mph light throttle vibration? I honestly don’t even feel that anymore after the sw update.

However my car does vibrate at full throttle only on certain road surfaces. On others its dead smooth. I can’t understand it.

Really? Do you know what they’ve changed to attempt to fix the vibration? The issue is still here on my car and my dads car

They moved more power to the rear, reducing power in front. It's the front motor that vibrates in low throttle conditions at certain speeds (40-50mph).

Note that this is different from the "cold start" vibration that last for a few minutes after you start driving. This symptom is still present in nearly every Plaid. It is probably caused by car generating heat using the motors before the heat pump gets up to the speed..

It’s been a known issue by all SCs for nearly three years. I eventually sold my Plaid as I was sick and tired of the Tesla BS and inaction on this matter. To each! 🍻