Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smelly stinky socks / mold in Model 3 AC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Question for people battling this issue repeatedly:

Is there any good way to check the HVAC for existing "hidden smell" when purchasing a vehicle?

What blower setting, mode and procedure might best give a indication a existing vehicle has that problem, even if they swapped new filters, or tried to clean it out with foam sprays to mask it?

Is the best indicator right as the HVAC is turned on and a blast of stagnant air is blown out?
Any good tricks to suss out a existing HVAC smell problem, so as not to get into one with a particularly bad preexisting issue?

Question for people battling this issue repeatedly:

Is there any good way to check the HVAC for existing "hidden smell" when purchasing a vehicle?

What blower setting, mode and procedure might best give a indication a existing vehicle has that problem, even if they swapped new filters, or tried to clean it out with foam sprays to mask it?

Is the best indicator right as the HVAC is turned on and a blast of stagnant air is blown out?
Any good tricks to suss out an existing HVAC smell problem, so as not to get into one with a particularly bad preexisting issue?

You’ll get different opinions on how exactly the smell comes about, but the one factor I think everyone agrees on is moisture. Regardless of how it’s getting in and what exactly stinks, that’s the one commonality.

If you’re looking for it, I think your best bet is checking in conditions where the system would have been wet for at least a couple of hours and not had an opportunity to dry (driving in the rain, then parking in a garage/shady spot, running the AC all day then parking overnight). And yes, you’re most likely to smell it by getting in the car and turning the AC on. No need to full blast it, if it’s there you’ll smell it under normal conditions.

Having said all of that, I don’t think I’d go out of my way checking for it in a potential purchase. If it’s bad, you’ll smell it by simply getting in and driving. Also, as far as I can tell, it has more to do with the conditions the car is operated in than an issue with any particular Tesla. If it seems fine during a test drive, I doubt there is some “latent funk” that is more likely to emerge in one car vs another. Just my $0.02.

I've effectively prevented the condition from occurring in my Model 3 Performance by changing the cabin filters and on the new bottom one, 3D printing a small plastic clip that raises the bottom filter slightly off the filter housing (so it doesn't touch moisture draining) and the problem/smell has NEVER come back. If you don't have a 3D printer you can contact me and I can print you a filter clip etc. Shoot me a DM.

Reactions: BeeGood