Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stalk or no stalk argument [not] settled

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First, we should analyze the matter without considering that the brand Tesla is making these changes and understand from a automotive/ engineering/ ergonomic point of view that whether indicator in steering has benefits compare to stalk. If it does, I'll accept that.

Obviously there is always a trade off in anything.

Having stalk as an independent module that it's functionality is not influenced by the functionality of another module (steering). Ergonomically, we apply force by our arms to move the steering, and we operate the stalk by our fingers (not thumb). This configuration only make sense if the steering is round. So stalks works with a round steering.

The no stalk configuration is ergonomically acceptable if there is a yoke. And only if the yoke doesn't need to turn not more halfway. In this case your thumbs are always where they suppose to be to function.

Another issue is the gear Selector.

First, I don't know what how you would select gear if you break your screen. Second, if you have a yoke configuration, the intent is to keep you hands on the yoke all the time. But that conflicts with selecting gear because to select gear you have to take you hand off the yoke and touch the screen.

Another issue is that selecting gear on screen mandates eye engagement (but not the stalk) which again defeats the purpose of buttons in yoke.

So the no stalk configuration only makes sense if the gear Selector is also on the yoke and the yoke only turns halfway.
Screenshot (219).png

Last edited:
So if you turn on your high beams and shut off the car for the night, the car will turn on high beam headlights in the morning when you start it? All of our Teslas always started up with Auto-headlights/auto-high-beams (and DRL's on). Why would they do that? I'm sure high beams use more power too.

Might be different in an S, didn't do this automatically in a 3 but stayed on. Not sure about X recent.

I don't lcok the car during nights though, which might affect Tesla's understanding of whether high beams are needed or not.

Not sure if this has been suggested. Why couldn't they put signals as buttons attached to the back of the steering wheel (left button left signal, right side right signal) where many have volume/paddles (still save money on parts as its on the steering wheel). Then move the gear selection to buttons on the front of the steering wheel where the turn signals are. Problem solved! Very little extra cost.

Reactions: timberlights
Not sure if this has been suggested. Why couldn't they put signals as buttons attached to the back of the steering wheel (left button left signal, right side right signal) where many have volume/paddles (still save money on parts as its on the steering wheel). Then move the gear selection to buttons on the front of the steering wheel where the turn signals are. Problem solved! Very little extra cost.
Interesting idea. This would also support the minimalist look of the car.

I really would like to see the left turn signal on the left, and the right turn signal on the right of the steering wheel.
That said, I prefer the stalkless design. Important note, this is the Highland design, NOT the S or X.

I would be one of the people for whom a car with stalks would be a point against it when buying.

The shifting, for me, is fine. I don’t want to add more buttons to the steering wheel. However, it would be cool as an option.

I didn't mind the turn signals on the steering wheel. Got used to it pretty quickly. Admittedly, it will be a challenge in small roundabouts.

The area that I find it clunky with selecting PRND with the screen. Feels slower in say a 3-point turn maneuvers. My brain is not set up to pointing the edge of the screen yet.
I get that, but how fast does this need to be done. Another question, what's the difference measured in seconds?

I HATE the stalkless wheel. It is distracting when driving and makes no sense from a safety perspective. This is my 3rd MS and if I realised ( my bad) the stalks were eliminated I would have not bought. I've been driving for over 60 years and my muscle memory still takes me to where the stalks s/b. One more driver distraction adding to safety concerns. If there were an upgrade to convert back to stalks, I’d buy it.

Reactions: whitex and SVMike
I HATE the stalkless wheel. It is distracting when driving and makes no sense from a safety perspective. This is my 3rd MS and if I realised ( my bad) the stalks were eliminated I would have not bought. I've been driving for over 60 years and my muscle memory still takes me to where the stalks s/b. One more driver distraction adding to safety concerns. If there were an upgrade to convert back to stalks, I’d buy it.

The S3XY button guys have a kit they're supposedly going to release, haven't seen a super recent update though

Reactions: zoomer0056
This just came out. I believe it's still being tested, but early reviews are mostly positive.

Reactions: zoomer0056