Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger team sacked?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love how we're all experienced CEO's here, having run our respective massive multinationals for years.

As init6 says, laws are different over there. And we've zero clue what they workers actually did day to day, why it was they lost their jobs or any idea what the strategy is.

We can all speculate, but we're not there, we don't have the info, and realistically we also don't have the experience (me included). Far far too many unknowns for us to pass judgement I think. The only view we can have authority on is what effect it has on us, the end user if the press's "impression" is true.
Very "don't speculate on the ways of a misunderstood genius" this. A classic of the genre, even.

I love how we're all experienced CEO's here, having run our respective massive multinationals for years.

As init6 says, laws are different over there. And we've zero clue what they workers actually did day to day, why it was they lost their jobs or any idea what the strategy is.

We can all speculate, but we're not there, we don't have the info, and realistically we also don't have the experience (me included). Far far too many unknowns for us to pass judgement I think. The only view we can have authority on is what effect it has on us, the end user if the press's "impression" is true.
It's obvious to anybody that he had a tantrum. Don't need to be a CEO.
He suffers from billionaires delusion... I am so rich that I must be perfect.

I was always under the impression that US companies could fire without justification, so I doubt they'd have to go through a selection process. (Where are the American posters when you need them? :) )
When I worked for an American company they were always grappling with UK and European employment laws. I suspect that Tesla are still consulting with the German Workers Councils and the Spanish are still on siesta so haven't heard the news yet :)
FWIW American settled in the UK here - executive of a multinational semiconductor company. Lots of cyclical redundancies in my business unfortunately. Have experience with this in 5 countries! In the US it’s not a legal requirement as such but you have to have enough to make sure you are not sued on grounds like seniority, performance history, disability or sexism etc. So while Musk could fire away - this risk is that Tesla is sued by those impacted. If he was indeed stating no more requirement of the team due to business conditions- no issue.

In Germany and Holland, e.g., you would have to get approval of Workers Councils. But you still could do it on the grounds of business conditions, but would require significant outlay for the negotiated settlement.

FWIW American settled in the UK here - executive of a multinational semiconductor company. Lots of cyclical redundancies in my business unfortunately. Have experience with this in 5 countries! In the US it’s not a legal requirement as such but you have to have enough to make sure you are not sued on grounds like seniority, performance history, disability or sexism etc. So while Musk could fire away - this risk is that Tesla is sued by those impacted. If he was indeed stating no more requirement of the team due to business conditions- no issue.

In Germany and Holland, e.g., you would have to get approval of Workers Councils. But you still could do it on the grounds of business conditions, but would require significant outlay for the negotiated settlement.
I doubt that Musk takes any of this into account

They don't always obey the laws properly either in Europe but they actually pay so much in redundancy that it's more than you'd get if you took them to court anyway so effectively they buy themselves out of having to follow our laws fully.
You just reminded me that my Dutch colleagues used to just sack people, as paying the compensation when they lost the (Dutch equivalent of) Industrial Tribunal it was a lot less hassle/cost than trying to build a performance case for someone.

You just reminded me that my Dutch colleagues used to just sack people, as paying the compensation when they lost the (Dutch equivalent of) Industrial Tribunal it was a lot less hassle/cost than trying to build a performance case for someone.
My employer had to do the group consultation as getting rid of enough people. In that process they have to say “No decisions have been made yet” however you know they have and they made it obvious as they combined my job with another and gave it to someone else. I went through the whole consultation process with the whole “No decisions have been made yet” but also had no work to do as they’d replaced my role already.

I didn’t mind, extra paid holiday to have a job you aren’t expected to do anything at and no one minds 😂

Reactions: Durzel and init6
But he won't have the exec who didn't want to cut the headcount. And I suspect, a more compliant team
Indeed but for someone apparently playing 4D chess he didn’t realise he only needed to fire the SVP at the top to get rid of her…

He’s backtracking. He won’t fully of course, it’ll still be a smaller team than it was before but I think public opinion and shareholder pressure have likely pushed him to this.

It was undoubtedly a petulant boardroom spat but it may have worked out for him. Remember the SVP will set the culture in her organisation and if the SuC team think they are indispensable then that culture needs a reset too.

The shareholders may have pushed him into backtracking, but they also pushed him into making swingeing cuts in the first place. Perhaps they underestimated how megalomaniacs tend to behave :)

It was undoubtedly a petulant boardroom spat but it may have worked out for him. Remember the SVP will set the culture in her organisation and if the SuC team think they are indispensable then that culture needs a reset too.

The shareholders may have pushed him into backtracking, but they also pushed him into making swingeing cuts in the first place. Perhaps they underestimated how megalomaniacs tend to behave :)
I don't believe an erratic megalomaniac is fit to lead Tesla