Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I heard people talking about the regen changing and kept an eye out for it (got 14.3 last week), but hadn't noticed it change. Perhaps I'm just not that observant? :)
I tried it today and it feels like the delay between lifting off the accelerator and the Regen starting is shorter, and then once it has transitioned to full Regen it does feel like it decelerates at a slightly higher rate. I like it.

Overall I really like the new UI experience, my only suggested improvement is that ETA in the navigation is harder to read. I don't know if they changed the font size, but I had to squint this morning whereas before I could quickly glance at it.

Reactions: Zinzilla
will that apply to those who doesn't want to pay for FSD? When my free EAP finishes, I will just stick with TACC.
From what I've learned following the V12 FSD development in the USA is that the V12 end-to-end NN based stack has one thing in common from all the various reviews and opinions: it's smooth.

For now, in the US, the V12 stack only operates for those with FSD, and even then, only on city streets, not on highways.

However the talk is that the entire system will gradually merge, and that the V12 end-to-end NN based stack will end up running everything, including basic AP, highway mode, auto-park, summon etc.

How long? 2 weeks.

Had the chance to give the adaptive headlights a workout tonight on a number of trips back and forth along Hindmarsh drive… I like them! 👍

Fast reaction time, smooth transition, and quite good coverage of the verge and centre divide which is sooo important in Canberra this time of year to pick out Kangaroos!

I was impressed in the way it accommodated multiple cars at distance and kept the gaps between them light high and not blinding the vehicles.

I don’t have a comparison point to other vehicles with similar tech, but I find this new feature great for me.

Adaptive headlights on pre-highland Model 3 review:

I tried it for the first time tonight driving home late on the highways/freeways, with just the right amount of traffic for it to be having to constantly adapting from cars to no-cars (following and on-coming), so quite a good test.

All in all I give it a 90% rating, which was better than I was expecting based on the quite average performance of the previous Auto-high-beam (which I gave a 60%).

There was only one brief foul recorded - at a sweeping left hand curve on a divided freeway with a significant median with light vegetation - an oncoming car was visible the whole time and when it first appeared it was at directly 12 o'clock (moving around the bend to my right). The headlights responded immediately to it (which was impressive), but as it went further around the bend the headlights failed to follow it correctly and dazzled it. I got the expected flash from the oncoming vehicle and the headlights immediately adapted again correctly again before I could react. So a flash from an oncoming vehicle seems to have the desired effect, which is something.

Adapting for the tail-lights of vehicles ahead seemed to be a bit more problematic, but this might be just my personal generosity. I was trying to judge distances by counting seconds (7 seconds at 100 km/h is 200m was my ball-park). At 200m following distance it would adapt the lights quite consistently. At 300m it sometimes would, sometimes wouldn't - a bit inconsistent. It was particularly obvious when following large trucks because the (often light coloured) rear gate of the trailer would show that the headlight was not adapting for it. I get a bit sensitive about dazzling trucks because those poor folk spend so many hours on the road putting up with inconsiderate drivers, I didn't like what the Tesla was doing and had to intervene.

The trouble with assessing the dazzle of vehicles in train is that you don't get immediate feedback from them (they can't communicate with you with a flash).

Anyway, I think I try to dip my lights out to at least 400m, and the Tesla was only doing it 200-300m, so it's not quite doing it like I would like to.

But the 90% score came from very good behaviour the rest of the time with oncoming traffic, and also by not constantly going to low beam every time it dazzled itself with bright roadsigns. It would adapt to the signs instead. A bit of a flickering lightshow sometimes, but a vast improvement on the previous auto-high-beams.

Also it was quite happy to stay in adaptive when reducing below 40 km/h for the kangaroos - even down to a standstill. But starting out the other morning in the dark for a short drive I couldn't get the adaptive to engage until I got up to 40 km/h. So that's a bit strange, but better than I was hoping.

Adapting for the tail-lights of vehicles ahead seemed to be a bit more problematic, but this might be just my personal generosity.
One advantage of the new enhanced visualisations is that we can see what the car sees. I find that the adaptive high beams pretty well track the cars seen on the central visualisation. If the car is too far away, then the Tesla can’t see it and therefore doesn’t turn off the high beam for it.

Another day driving the Polestar and all I can say is that it's way better than my Y in terms of Tesla's TACC and Polestar's Adaptive Cruise Control.
I tested it at 40, 60 & 80 streets and braking is really smooth. This morning, there was an SUV who changed lane in front of me (pretty close but still safe distance) no phantom braking, it just slowed down a bit and then accelerated smoothly. Maybe because it has radars. Hopefully those rumored improvements in V12 will be cascaded to us here in Australia.

My model Y is better in all aspects to the Polestar 2 except when driving using TACC and that's what Tesla needs to focus more in. the car is for driving after all. :D

drive I couldn't get the adaptive to engage until I got up to 40 km/h
I had an issue that adaptive headlights wouldn’t engage in one instance until I engaged autopilot… that was a while after I had manually disengaged the high beam using the stalk (as I was in a quiet street and dazzling the neighbours bedroom late). I haven’t had time to test that thoroughly, but wondering if there is some underlying linkage the the autopilot which might explain the 40km/h also.

Reactions: Max Spaghetti
Wow! I couldn’t cope with that. I’m at the minimum of 2, and in non-freeway conditions would like this to be 1!
Ha I have mine or 2-3 around town which used to bother me as people would tailgate me, seemingly urging me to get closer to the car in front of me, which is behind the car in front of it so we can all get to the same set of lights at the same time, but closer together.
Normally I just don’t care, don’t like it? Go around me. I don’t get drawn into the collective pain body and ego of people in a hurry to go nowhere but, you see in Adelaide if you leave a gap around a car length in front of you there is a very high chance someone will seize the opportunity to change lanes and jump in there, and then hit the brakes as the car in front of them gets narkey and hits their brakes to “teach them a lesson”
I’ve seen people do it for no apparent reason, then change lanes back again. It’s like they think they are in a touring car race or something. Or they need to exploit every opportunity to be in front of as many people as you can, and only their instant gratification exists, leave the pile up behind you.
So yeah, I have only used tacc on occasion and most of you would have used it heaps more than me, but that’s my (limited) experience.

Reactions: elddum and Jules22
My understanding with 2024.14.3 is that Auto boot opening is included. See below...
Stand still behind your trunk with Phone Key unobstructed, listen for the chimes, and the trunk will open on its own. To enable this feature, go to your vehicle settings > Locks > Hands-Free Trunk. Ensure your phone settings allow Nearby Interactions for the Tesla app, or open the app and go to Phone Key > Upgrade.
I don't seem to have that option in Locks in my version. What am I missing here?

My understanding with 2024.14.3 is that Auto boot opening is included. See below...
Stand still behind your trunk with Phone Key unobstructed, listen for the chimes, and the trunk will open on its own. To enable this feature, go to your vehicle settings > Locks > Hands-Free Trunk. Ensure your phone settings allow Nearby Interactions for the Tesla app, or open the app and go to Phone Key > Upgrade.
I don't seem to have that option in Locks in my version. What am I missing here?
Have you upgraded your phone key to uwb?

Also, not sure but I thought this was only for refreshed m3?

this is for new 3, new X and new S only. Unfortunately, for us Y owners, we still need to use our fingers :D

this is for new 3, new X and new S only. Unfortunately, for us Y owners, we still need to use our fingers :D

You can always get yourself a kick sensor

• Helpful
Reactions: Power Hungry
You can always get yourself a kick sensor
Problem is they will probably introduce it for the Y in the next update or so?