Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is certainly part of it. My underlying logic is the present day adoptions demographics of BEV's, not hybrids. Much of the global acceleration of BEV's has been coming from Chinese growth, including ones like Volvo, Polestar and BMW iX3 although they are not directly a major factor.

In the rest of the world the shift is not visible in gross numbers, but is in the incentives numbers as I previously mentioned, and in the actual sales prices. Model mix has shifted in material ways, but at the moment that is rarely directly disclosed.

That shift is the one that affected Tesla more than any other, primarily because the Tesla Marketing,( including Positioning, Placement, Price and Promotion [this year mostly Advertising] changed so abruptly. The net effect of all the Marketing alterations was to shift what had been regarded as a premium and aspirational brand to one that was devoted to mass market commodity Placement and Positioning.

All of that coincided with the economic and cultural shift that essentially everyone sees. When combined all that sent shares spinning down, public perception shifting negative, all exacerbated by the emotional issues so widely dispersed by FUD and the Social Media Issue.

I have tried to avoid the comprehensive Marketing subject because so many people equate general Advertising with Marketing, and now even formerly tightly targeted social media has generic advertising growing exponentially much to the surprise of nearly everyone. For that we can credit (blame) Mark Zuckerberg, Larry Page and a handful of others but perhaps the first to do that was pinkfong of BabyShark fame:
In the world of Marketing, global influences end out of major consequence.
That single event ended out fomenting the entire idea of ignoring segmentation but target a generation instead. Of course that has been common for decades, but not in social media. Social media without targeting si the motherlode for Meta and Alphabet which now generate substantial revenue without targeting other that at the grossest level.
Amazon, by contrast has shifted markets towards corporate products but continue highly segmented pricing and service strategies.

Tesla, unlike other companies with similar product classes including cars, large scale energy, and services for competitors has been adept in treating each class independently, a wise choice, and treating automotive as a carefully orchestrated Positioning exercise comparable to, say, Airstream, Gulfstream and LVMH but few others. Having discarded that approach, we end out with confusion and dismay.

My earlier post was trying to illustrate the conflicts and challenges that happened during the last years. Without question my unstated Giant Issue is China. As a tiny illustration, Brazilian imports of cars from China rose over 600% last year, and industrial/commercial BESS there is now nearly 100% Chinese.

Elon Musk is now taking the steps that might just fix all that, and he's quite correct, in my opinion, to be 'Hard Core' about it. The question is what happens in 2025.

That is part of the detail behind th overall issues I was trying to show.

All that is closely related to how to make a business success of Optimus and Robotaxi. neither will be like 'a walk in the park'.
Hi, Unk --

I found that pretty dense and in some places hard to follow -- not a criticism of you, of course! The fault is no doubt mine. I'm going to try to an, "In my own words" thing to see if I'm getting the gist.

> That shift is the one that affected Tesla more than any other, primarily because the Tesla Marketing,( including Positioning, Placement, Price and Promotion [this year mostly Advertising] changed so abruptly.

I think this means price cuts? The cars didn't change (much),, Tesla doesn't advertise (much) , as result of the prior, positioning couldn't have changed (much), which leaves us with price. Mmm .. let me walk that back a little bit. Are you including Musk's overall Twitter messaging as part of "positioning"? Also, Tesla's market position changed due competitive forces in the market, most notably in China.

WRT to pricing -- There is, as you know, a huge debate about this. I honestly don't think Tesla had much choice in the matter. A look at Troy's backlog charts shows that they were runrating some 1MM orders/year in the back half of 2022, which you just have to do something about immediately, and pricing was the only tool available.

> Elon Musk is now taking the steps that might just fix all that, and he's quite correct, in my opinion, to be 'Hard Core' about it.

But I don't see that Musk is at the moment doing anything to address the challenges you allude to. Instead, he seems to be (to use a Muskism) going balls to wall on autonomy. I guess this could be considered "addressing" to the extent that success there would render matters of product, price, placement, etc., for the current fleet moot,

Yours,
RP

Mobileye does not have the data they need to create an end-to-end system that comes anywhere near what Tesla has. They have neither the quantity or quality of data required.

I know what NVIDIA does not have. Like all the others, they do not have a huge fleet of cars with the onboard inference computers required to find and return specific high quality data.

Can you explain how companies in China have actively deployed L2 city streets, works anywhere in the country, systems that you keep insisting is IMPOSSIBLE for anyone but Tesla to deploy?

Reactions: alexxs88
Not only are Mods working overtime and tag-teaming in extracting useless, garbage, and sometimes bizarrely OffTopic posts from this thread but…

I have found myself with needing eye surgery to roll the eyeballs around from the back of my skull from the numbingly repetitive, unhelpful and stupefyingly boring “discussion” regarding - apparently - Tesla’s vs Mercedes’s assisted-driving techniques, seemingly combined with drivel regarding Consumer Reports and someone named Omar.

Hint: there will be an end, right now, to further such posts without clearing the material BEFOREHAND through a PM to the Moderator of your choice.

Mobileye has been running in a swath of makes/models for many years dude, they said they have 200 petabytes of driving data as of 2022:

Elon had previously claimed that Mobileye supporting so many different vehicles was slowing down their development, like they have too much data.

Who knows what NVIDIA does or doesn’t have, for all we know they could have data sharing agreements for providing H100s to companies like Tesla.
Elon also claimed on the latest earnings call that licensing FSD to other OEMs was a simple process. So which Elon to believe?

Reactions: replicant
Apologies if I've missed this (article is 2 days old but I didn't notice it and didn't find "Melbourne Renewable Energy Hub" in a search).

Tesla Megapack install (444 Megapacks - not sure if this is just for first phase).

this features a tweet by

Lily D'Ambrosio MP
@LilyDAmbrosioMP
Member for Mill Park. Minister for Energy & Resources. Minister for Climate Action. Minister for the State Electricity Commission (SEC)

Where she says:-

Construction continues on the SEC’s first project, the Melbourne Renewable Energy Hub.

Currently getting ready for the arrival of 444 Tesla Megapacks, this will be one of the biggest batteries in the world.

I'm not sure when these are due, the language sounds like they are imminent.

Further info:-
MREH - Equis "On track...
Detailed grid modelling, noise assessments, traffic flow analysis, and other studies were undertaken during 2020 and 2021.

MREH began construction in November 2023 with commercial operations expected to commence in 2025."

Melbourne Renewable Energy Hub - Infrastructure Pipeline - lists out phases and says "The project was orginally proposed by Syncline Energy, and was known as the Melton Renewable Energy Hub until it was acquired by Equis in November 2022."

To not clutter the thread, looks like they are hiring back some that got fired with specific person named:

"Chief among the personnel who have returned is Max de Zegher, the director of charging for North America, according to people with knowledge of the matter, who asked not to be identified because the information is private. De Zegher was one of the top managers after Rebecca Tinucci, the senior director Musk fired late last month along with virtually everyone else in the charging group."
Maybe some day we will get the full story, but I think it was rather evident from the firing of Rebecca on Day 1 that she refused to cooperate and give Elon the 10% headcount to cut from her department. Maybe she thought the Supercharger department was immune, maybe she didn't want to make any enemies, maybe she really liked all 500 of her employees, I don't know, but it is quite clear that Elon was very serious about cutting 10% from EVERY department, and she must not have been with the program. I can't say I agree with the way it was handled, as the last thing Tesla needs right now is more reason to be publicly bashed by the media, but I'd bet that a great many of the employees will be hired back if they are still spending $500 million this year on SuCs.

This level of management is worth $56bn?
Haha...two points of discrepancy:

1) The debate is *supposed to be* about whether Elon's management beginning in 2018 and running until he completed the assorted milestones in the compensation package is worth the payout.

Since that last milestone was achieved, and no new package was put in place after that, technically Elon doesn't have an existing pay package for his current role, other than whatever minimum wage (???) the company might have to provide for legal reasons.

For folks objecting to Elon's management lately...maybe that is the cost of NOT paying him for what he and Tesla achieved several years ago, and for having him continue to work for Tesla without any new compensation package in place, haha ;).

2) I don't remember how many shares the full package was worth...but while every blog and editorial is sticking to $56 billion, I believe that the actual amount will vary with share price, so the total is probably lower currently. And, of course, to exercise the options, Elon would also have to find a way to deposit the option price back into Tesla's coffers, so he doesn't just walk away with new shares at zero monetary cost, and Tesla does get some funding out of the deal.

*Edited for clarity.

Last edited:
Maybe some day we will get the full story, but I think it was rather evident from the firing of Rebecca on Day 1 that she refused to cooperate and give Elon the 10% headcount to cut from her department. Maybe she thought the Supercharger department was immune, maybe she didn't want to make any enemies, maybe she really liked all 500 of her employees, I don't know, but it is quite clear that Elon was very serious about cutting 10% from EVERY department, and she must not have been with the program. I can't say I agree with the way it was handled, as the last thing Tesla needs right now is more reason to be publicly bashed by the media, but I'd bet that a great many of the employees will be hired back if they are still spending $500 million this year on SuCs.
I have seen several times in my career where a department was reorganized lets say from 100 people to 40 people.
A new organization structure would be drawn up for the 40 positions (with job descriptions). Of the 100 existing positions some would be let go immediately (say 30) and the 70 remaining associates would be asked to interview for the new 40 roles. In effect telling the 100 associates your fired but we have 40 roles you can interview for.

Their earnings call language was unambiguous:

"We expect the energy storage deployments for 2024 to grow at least 75 percent higher from 2023."

I don't see how to interpret that as a year end run rate increase. Revenue recognition doesn't exactly match deployments on these big utility contracts, but Lathrop production must have increased this year for them to make such a clear statement.

Maybe they are talking more about #units and including Powerwall.

They also say:

"Lathrop is ramping as planned. We have our second GA line allowing us to increase our exit rate from 20 gigawatt hours per year to -- at the start of this year to 40 gigawatt hours per year by the end of the year. That lines commissioned.

There's really nothing limiting the ramp. Given the longer sales cycles for these large projects, we typically have order visibility 12 to 24 months prior to ship dates. So, we're able to plan the build plan several quarters in advance. So, this allows us to ramp the factory to align with the business and order growth."

Indicating the ramp from 20 GWh to 40 hasn't really started yet. There's no way revenue from higher production rates in the 2nd half of this year is getting recognized in 2024.

They also say:

"Lathrop is ramping as planned. We have our second GA line allowing us to increase our exit rate from 20 gigawatt hours per year to -- at the start of this year to 40 gigawatt hours per year by the end of the year. That lines commissioned.

There's really nothing limiting the ramp. Given the longer sales cycles for these large projects, we typically have order visibility 12 to 24 months prior to ship dates. So, we're able to plan the build plan several quarters in advance. So, this allows us to ramp the factory to align with the business and order growth."

Indicating the ramp from 20 GWh to 40 hasn't really started yet. There's no way revenue from higher production rates in the 2nd half of this year is getting recognized in 2024.
While I'd like revenue recognition to be as quick as sales, it will come with deployment. The important thing is capacity ramp, with revenue recognition being more of an accounting / ops point rather than anything relevant to value growth.

They also say:

It seems like Tesla should easily hit 75+% growth in GWh deployed in 2024. In 2023, they only deployed 11.7 GWh.

If they began the year with 20 GWh annual capacity, then simply deploying 20 GWh will get them 70.6% growth.

Even ramping slowly from 20-40 should make up the difference even with delays and lags from production to deployment.

As to revenue, it's been mentioned upthread that the impact of delayed revenue has a compounding effect each quarter so even if there had been price cuts (we don't really know), revenue would likely outpace GWhs deployed.

(The caveat of all this is that deployment is lumpy and could depend on some "mega" (pun-intended) projects that could slip in timing by a quarter or two.)

Head of CT manufacturing is no longer with the company.

Key takeaway confirmed "The Tesla Cybertruck production ramp has been going about as expected, with Tesla achieving a production rate of 1,000 units in a week last month. The goal is 5,000 a week in the first half of next year."

Key takeaway confirmed "The Tesla Cybertruck production ramp has been going about as expected, with Tesla achieving a production rate of 1,000 units in a week last month. The goal is 5,000 a week in the first half of next year."

Probably the same as Berlin hitting "6k/week" run rate once, though nowhere close to 80k/quarter.

Sustained rate is more important than a one-time burst rate.

Apologies if I've missed this (article is 2 days old but I didn't notice it and didn't find "Melbourne Renewable Energy Hub" in a search).

Tesla Megapack install (444 Megapacks - not sure if this is just for first phase).

this features a tweet by

Where she says:-

I'm not sure when these are due, the language sounds like they are imminent.

Further info:-
MREH - Equis "On track...
Detailed grid modelling, noise assessments, traffic flow analysis, and other studies were undertaken during 2020 and 2021.

MREH began construction in November 2023 with commercial operations expected to commence in 2025."

Melbourne Renewable Energy Hub - Infrastructure Pipeline - lists out phases and says "The project was orginally proposed by Syncline Energy, and was known as the Melton Renewable Energy Hub until it was acquired by Equis in November 2022."
This is 40 minutes away from my home. I will swing by sometime & become wuwa for a day .

Former Tesla AI engineer:

Last edited:
For folks objecting to Elon's management lately...maybe that is the cost of NOT paying him for what he and Tesla achieved several years ago, and for having him continue to work for Tesla without any new compensation package in place, haha ;).

So your argument is the CEO could be purposely sabotaging the company until he gets paid his record compensation package? And that's a sign he should stay as CEO and be paid whatever he wants?

Probably the same as Berlin hitting "6k/week" run rate once, though nowhere close to 80k/quarter.

Or not. Your contrarian speculation is not substantive.
Sustained rate is more important than a one-time burst rate.
So maybe you'll find this important in the article you shared. The same article states that Zhu (head of CT manufacturing) said on his LinkedIn..
"After triumphing the epic launch of Cybertruck program and ramping the volume production line to the steady 1K/W throughput orbit for the past 16 months in GFTX, also 7 weeks after the 5th Tesla-versary, my adventure with this great company has come to an end."

Your storm clouds can't cloud reality. Keep trolling....err trying