Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Towing Rpod 171 with Model Y - Need Guidance on Equipment and Installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone,

I'm planning to tow an Rpod 171 with my Model Y this time. However, the dealer mentioned that I need to purchase an equalizer hitch and asked if brake control is installed in my vehicle. As a first-time buyer, I have no idea what an equalizer hitch is and whether brake control is already installed in my car. Just to note, my Model Y already has the Tesla genuine tow hitch installed. Since the travel trailer's store where I can purchase the Rpod 171 is over 600km away, I plan to visit and bring the trailer back with me while I'm there. I would appreciate it if you could share any helpful information with me.
Thank you in advance

I'm planning to tow an Rpod 171 with my Model Y this time.
However, the dealer mentioned that I need to purchase an equalizer hitch and asked if brake control is installed in my vehicle.
As a first-time buyer, I have no idea what an equalizer hitch is and whether brake control is already installed in my car.
Just to note, my Model Y already has the Tesla genuine tow hitch installed.
Since the travel trailer's store where I can purchase the Rpod 171 is over 600km away,
I plan to visit and bring the trailer back with me while I'm there.
I would appreciate it if you could share any helpful information with me.

2024 RP-171C
Hitch Weight: 325 lbs​
UVW (Unloaded Vehicle Weight): 2,449 lbs​
CCC (Cargo Carrying Capacity): 2,276 lbs​

Model Y Tow Package
Tesla doesn't offer a trailer brake controller, so max towing is limited to 3,500 pounds.

I would recommend looking at the following TMC Thread, and in particualr the #30 and #47 postings dealing with weight distribution:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This is misleading. It is wired for one, you need to install your own.
Did you find a supported brake controller for your Model Y? I’m still searching for a safe solution.

I have a 22 MYLR w factory towing. Tesla's low voltage system sends 15.5 v to the brake controller wires. Prodigy-Tekonsha told me their operating range doesn’t support 15.5. Tesla disconnected the Aux power to the 7 pin. Which ruled out the RF solution I have.

I have a Nucamp TAB 320S Boondock, perfect rig if I can find a supported brake controller.

Upvote 0
Hello everyone,

I'm planning to tow an Rpod 171 with my Model Y this time. However, the dealer mentioned that I need to purchase an equalizer hitch and asked if brake control is installed in my vehicle. As a first-time buyer, I have no idea what an equalizer hitch is and whether brake control is already installed in my car. Just to note, my Model Y already has the Tesla genuine tow hitch installed. Since the travel trailer's store where I can purchase the Rpod 171 is over 600km away, I plan to visit and bring the trailer back with me while I'm there. I would appreciate it if you could share any helpful information with me.
Thank you in advance
Did you find a supported brake controller for your Model Y? I’m still searching for a safe solution.

I have a 22 MYLR w factory towing. Tesla's low voltage system sends 15.5 v to the brake controller wires. Prodigy-Tekonsha told me their operating range doesn’t support 15.5. Tesla disconnected the Aux power to the 7 pin. Which ruled out the RF solution I have.

I have a Nucamp TAB 320S Boondock, perfect rig if I can find a supported brake controller.

Upvote 0

I don't tow with my Y because I have a diesel truck. I recall seeing the Tekonsha P3 works well, but cannot confirm on the Y. Great controller though.

Upvote 0
I have a Tekonsha Primus IQ already wired into a Tesla harness that I can sell if anyone needs. Was planning a camping trip this year and it had to be cancelled. Won't be towing any time soon again... It fired up just fine on the Li-Ion 16v system my 2022 has. (The pinout of the vehicle actually only measured 14.5V out, so not much different than a typical car. PM me if interested.

Upvote 0
Hello everyone,

I'm planning to tow an Rpod 171 with my Model Y this time. However, the dealer mentioned that I need to purchase an equalizer hitch and asked if brake control is installed in my vehicle. As a first-time buyer, I have no idea what an equalizer hitch is and whether brake control is already installed in my car. Just to note, my Model Y already has the Tesla genuine tow hitch installed. Since the travel trailer's store where I can purchase the Rpod 171 is over 600km away, I plan to visit and bring the trailer back with me while I'm there. I would appreciate it if you could share any helpful information with me Best hunting boots.
Thank you in advance
RV dealers tell me it will be fine. :) Of course they do. :mad: I know the rating is 3500 lbs for the truck, but is it realistic to tow something that close to the limit: probably around 3000 lbs? I don't want to do something stupid here. Please set me straight. Thanks very much.

Upvote 0
RV dealers tell me it will be fine. :) Of course they do. :mad: I know the rating is 3500 lbs for the truck, but is it realistic to tow something that close to the limit: probably around 3000 lbs? I don't want to do something stupid here. Please set me straight. Thanks very much.
Never listen to RV dealers, they have self serving interests, they don't care if you're safe.

The problem with the R-Pod 171 is the tonuge weight being 325lbs empty and dry. Most of those weights are also typically published without options on their website. If you fill the propane tanks and add an equilizer hitch, those alone might put you over the 350lbs tongue weight of the model Y. You're overloaded.

If you want a trailer that size, probably better to get the Rove Lite 16RB. Only 154lbs hitch weight dry and 2000lbs trailer weight dry. The frame, including the main trailer frame is all aluminum. Because of this, you can't actually use an anti-sway hitch because it will bend the aluminum frame. Instead Rove Lite employs an electronic Tuscon Anti-Sway contol, keeping it light and simpler. The problem is newer 16v teslas do no have aux power out on the trailer plug. So you'll need to figure out a way to keep the tucson box powered.

Upvote 0