Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall charger cable starting to distort

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is this common to get bumps in the cable of the Gen 3 wall charger? Used to be perfectly round new. Installed a month ago, 60amp breaker, 6 gauge wire less than 25’ no issues with charging at a rate of 32 amps since it a M3 STD plus.
6B14FF16-A410-431D-A467-25CF050A29C7.jpeg

Reactions: Lephturn
Does the cable get direct sunlight? Or could light be reflected from something on to it?

When we moved to Las Vegas I left the Thule roof cargo box outside and one of our windows on the house was reflecting the sunlight on to the cargo box which was melting it as the Sun moved throughout the day. Come to find out it was magnifying it to like 135*!!! Oops. Beyond that....send an email off to Tesla with the picture or hit up your electrician who installed it.

• Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod
I have the bumps on my 2 year old cable and things (knock on some wood) seem to work fine. As for the cause, I don't think it's over heating while charging as it's hardly warm to the touch. Maybe delmination from the sun hitting the black cable?? But that doesn't make sense as 2 people said they have the cable in the garage. Regardless, it shouldn't be happening.

Have you ever tried touching it in that bumpy area after it has been charging for a good length of time and while it is still charging? Unless it is really hot I would actually grab it and see if you feel any extra warmth in that area. Check to make sure the insulation doesn't have any tears in it first. Be aware, I am not an electrician!

I don't have that on mine, installed in a garage and used for over 2 years. However, I had initally looped the extra length over the top of the charger and the top became warm/hot to the touch after charging for 2-3 hours. I decided to loop the extra cable length differently so it wouldn't all sit on top without any air. If those bumps happen to be in the sections of cable that were sitting on top of the charger, it'S probably just a bit of heat on the rubber. I wouldn't think that's important. You can try changing how you hang the extra length to alleviate this.

Reactions: Lephturn