Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All US Cars capable of FSD will be enabled for one month trial this week

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same here! First short drive was uneventful, with the exception that it accelerates from every stop like it’s a dire emergency. That part feels very unnatural.

ETA: Another drive and the acceleration really is annoying, rather than tapering the acceleration as it approaches the speed limit it accelerates hard right up to it, then actually has to dip into the regen to keep from going over. Very awkward and unnatural. And when approaching slowed or stopped traffic, it doesn't slow down until the last second and then brakes hard. In only a few kms, I had to disengage about 3 times. C'mon Tesla, this stuff should be the low hanging fruit and even 11.4.x did it better. As many others have also noted, it seems paralyzed with indecision at an intersection with no other traffic. Also, when entering a school zone (which it doesn't recognize) I scrolled that speed limit down to 30km/h from 50 - which it immediately reset to 50 and accelerated hard back up, forcing another disengagement rather than fight with it.

It still feels very, very beta.

Last edited:
Good 'ole Cambridge...why am I not surprised with this new announcement..

Just follow my motto: It's not illegal if you don't get caught! 🤣

AP and FSD do follow way too close...

I know you can change the following distance when in AP (see screenshot below from the manual). Is there a way to adjust it when in FSD? Does the setting made in AP carry over to FSD? When I was using FSD on the trial, it seemed to carry this setting from AP to FSD, but I never thought to test it.

Following Distance.PNG

Just follow my motto: It's not illegal if you don't get caught! 🤣

I know you can change the following distance when in AP (see screenshot below from the manual). Is there a way to adjust it when in FSD? Does the setting made in AP carry over to FSD? When I was using FSD on the trial, it seemed to carry this setting from AP to FSD, but I never thought to test it.
Even with the following distance set to the maximum, TACC/AP follows too closely. I observed the same with the FSDS trial with that same setting and FSDS set to chill.

Humans are geofenced, in a very generalized way. We get comfortable with our local traffic laws, how our intersections work, how our roundabouts work, being able to turn on red, or being in the intersection when the light turns red, etc. If you go on a cross-country road trip, it's very likely you'll run afoul of local traffic laws unintentionally. Hopefully you have an understanding officer that pulls you over and explains the differences, letting you go with a warning.
In theory, an automated driver can be programmed to know, based on GPS location, what traffic laws regarding right turn on red, default speed limits, etc. apply to that area.

Even with the following distance set to the maximum, TACC/AP follows too closely.
You and I have different parameters as I keep mine set at 3 (which on average is a 2 second following distance) or 4 if it is raining. I have never had to panic-stop override TACC for safety issues (or if I did in the past, it has been a VERY long time). And I have used AP on probably 90+% of the 90K miles on my 3.

The only time I use Chill is in stop-and-go traffic: TACC is a bit too jerky for my tastes in this situation.

Even with the following distance set to the maximum, TACC/AP follows too closely
You and I have different parameters as I keep mine set at 3

I have it set to 7, which seems closer than 2 seconds.

People have run polls before on what following distance they use, and it always comes out this way. Half the people use 2-3 and the other half use 7 and say "it's too close." You dig a bit more, and the 2-3's are mostly in cities where anything more will just lead to another car in front of you, and the 7's are out in the country on low density roads wondering why you'd want to be within 500' of your neighbor.

As a 2-3 user, I remember last time I read this and I tried 7 the next time I was in the car on a road trip, and my wife and kids were like "why are you staying so far back from the car in front of you" within just a few minutes, it was that odd.

Reactions: Kevy Baby
As a 2-3 user, I remember last time I read this and I tried 7 the next time I was in the car on a road trip, and my wife and kids were like "why are you staying so far back from the car in front of you" within just a few minutes, it was that odd.
Why, do you save time by driving closer to the car in front ?! ;)

As a suburban user - I have always used 7 and until V12 didn't have issues with it. V12 doesn't seem to honor the setting, either going too close the car in front or falling too far back.

In theory, an automated driver can be programmed to know, based on GPS location, what traffic laws regarding right turn on red, default speed limits, etc. apply to that area.
Yes! That would be the right thing to do, and communicating that info would be great ADAS for regular driving.

But it isn't the "end-to-end neural net" way.