Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Adaptors 101

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've often wondered why Tesla's recommend not to use extension cords when charging using the UMC.
-snip-
So the reason Tesla don't want you using extension cords is because the tail has a temperature sensor at the plug, and can detect if an outlet is getting too hot, and downgrade the amps if it's is. With an extension cord, it won't know the temperature of the socket. Clever.

So you say here (and this is what I was referring too) by using an extension lead the Temperature sensor won’t know the temperature of the socket.

The socket will still get hot, probably hotter due to the extension lead. I don’t see how this is clever? That’s more likely the reason they don’t want you using an extension lead.
Especially when people use cheap leads from cheap as chips while they are travelling.

You couldn't have missed the point of my post more.

I'm not circumventing anything.

Reactions: Quickst
-snip-

So you say here (and this is what I was referring too) by using an extension lead the Temperature sensor won’t know the temperature of the socket.

The socket will still get hot, probably hotter due to the extension lead. I don’t see how this is clever? That’s more likely the reason they don’t want you using an extension lead.
Especially when people use cheap leads from cheap as chips while they are travelling.
FFS mate, its clever that tesla put temperature monitoring of the supply socket into the UMC. I cant think of any other appliance that does that.

Reactions: BlueStreak2020
If you must have an extension lead, search for welding machine extension cords like below. But all that others have said above still applies.

A mechanical engineer, a civil engineer, a mining engineer, an aeronautical engineer, a chemical engineer and an electrical engineer all walked into a bar... They all turned up in Teslas. There is one 32A GPO, but numerous cables and power boards hanging on hooks with every conversion possible.

Who drives away with the most charge?

A mechanical engineer, a civil engineer, a mining engineer, an aeronautical engineer, a chemical engineer and an electrical engineer all walked into a bar... They all turned up in Teslas. There is one 32A GPO, but numerous cables and power boards hanging on hooks with every conversion possible.

Who drives away with the most charge?
The one who arrived with the most charge. There would be so much debate on how to charge that no-one would actually get any charging completed.