Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chevy Bolt - 200 mile range for $30k base price (after incentive)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nonsense. Chevy buyers aren't chomping at the bit to buy a high-performance EV. They're also happy with econobox styling, and the Bolt looks like every other el-cheapo design on the road. Tesla appeals to a different market segment, one that the pocket-protector boys at GM do not have a clue about. Tesla will eat Chevy alive.
Yes it is true that Model 3 and Bolt is not designed for the same marked segment, but given the number of 200+ miles EPA BEV's on the marked, it will be somehow crossshoped. I'm a reservation holder on the Model 3, and I do want a Model 3, but I have promised myself to look close at any 200+ EPA miles BEV that comes to the marked until I have ordered one (even a Leaf 2.0 if that is out with this range). And with this announcement I will look very carefully at the Bolt/Ampera-e when it is available.

Yes, it does looks a bit "meh" as someone said earlier. But when I buy a car, I buy it for it's usage, not for it's looks. Yes, I would prefer a nicer looking car - like Tesla - over this "meh" car, but as long as it has the range and the space/loading ability I need at a price I can afford, then it checks most of the points I need/want. And the trunk opening is a plus over Model 3. And an earlier availability is an another. No superchargers is a minus. Which will get the higher/lower price is yet to be settled in my marked.

So yes, with this range it will compete with the Model 3 on a lot of customers, including me. But I have to admit that I do want a Tesla more then a GM/Chevy/Opel.

Not the Bolt. Tavel’s team has dialed out torque-steer with careful programming.
One thing they did was in the hardware. Supposedly, having the motor inline with the wheels and exactly centered between the wheels (equal length front axle shafts) helps reduce torque steer.

It'll be interesting to see if the NAV will route though DC chargers like Tesla or if you'll be on your own to figure that out.
The navigation is EV aware and takes account of some EV efficiency factor when plotting routes. It also has built-in charging station location access and can plot routes through charging stops. At least I've read it does something like that. I don't think any neutral 3rd party has had a chance to review exactly what it does and how well it works.

I expect the Bolt's OTA software updating will be used to incrementally improve features like that.

One thing they did was in the hardware. Supposedly, having the motor inline with the wheels and exactly centered between the wheels (equal length front axle shafts) helps reduce torque steer.

The navigation is EV aware and takes account of some EV efficiency factor when plotting routes. It also has built-in charging station location access and can plot routes through charging stops. At least I've read it does something like that. I don't think any neutral 3rd party has had a chance to review exactly what it does and how well it works.

I expect the Bolt's OTA software updating will be used to incrementally improve features like that.

I guess it's a bit more complex since which fast chargers you'll want to use may depend on other factors, like who you have memberships with.

I guess it's a bit more complex since which fast chargers you'll want to use may depend on other factors, like who you have memberships with.
Yes, no doubt.

Supposedly there is a ROEV.org consortium that will allow cross-billing between ChargePoint, EVgo, and other providers so you don't have to sign up for various different provider accounts and carry different access cards. I haven't kept up with them to see if they are stalled or making progress.

• Helpful
Reactions: RiverBrick
From the first drive reports it's looking like usable battery capacity is close to or equal to 60kWh. The first drive reports are from Monterey CA to Santa Barbara CA, about 240 miles. I'd love to see their actual route, to get a better figure on average speed. Sounds like they took the Pacific Coast Highway for the 1st half (55mph speed limit, and many sections end up being significantly slower than 55) and then a stint on 101, which would be normal freeway speeds.

A few of the articles reported 4.6miles/kWh which is around 220Wh/mile in Tesla style. That is exceptionally efficient. Sounds like the route they chose pretty closely emulated the low average speed of the EPA tests.

Supposedly there is a ROEV.org consortium that will allow cross-billing between ChargePoint, EVgo, and other providers so you don't have to sign up for various different provider accounts and carry different access cards. I haven't kept up with them to see if they are stalled or making progress.

ROEV doesn't include the Aerovironment, GE WattStation, Greenlots, or SemaConnect networks, nor the Canadian FLO/CIrcuit Electric..

However, a lot of people where I live are hoping it comes online to allow them to use their Chargepoint cards at evgo stations, because evgo will not issue you a card if you have a Canadian address. No news on when the internetwork compatibility will work, though.

Wow 238 is a lot higher than than anyone guessed and the 119 MPGe is also quite high. Don't have the time now to do it, but I think it would instructive to look at the breakdown between city/highway vs the i3 and Spark EV. I'm guessing the city efficiency is very high and they use a very high usable battery percentage.

I'm guessing the city efficiency is very high and they use a very high usable battery percentage.

Green Car Reports first drive report said they used 58.7 kWh on their drive, so pretty close to 60kWh usable. Breakdown on the screen was 99% Driving, 1% Climate, 0% Battery Conditioning

EDIT:
"Our six-hour drive route took us 235 miles from Monterey, California, south to Santa Barbara, largely along the scenic coastal Route 1." Snippet from the GCR first drive review.

If they spent 6hrs driving 240 miles that is 40mph average. Pretty slow. PCH is 55mph, but most areas you cannot travel nearly that fast. GCR reported 4.1mile/kWh which is ~245Wh/mile. Other review (Motor Trend) got 4.6miles/kWh or ~220Wh/mile. Seems like GM selected a low speed route to maximize range and give a good first impression.

Last edited:
Reactions: hiroshiy and Yuri_G
Wow 238 is a lot higher than than anyone guessed and the 119 MPGe is also quite high. Don't have the time now to do it, but I think it would instructive to look at the breakdown between city/highway vs the i3 and Spark EV. I'm guessing the city efficiency is very high and they use a very high usable battery percentage.

Here's a teaser look at my updated spec sheet. Red numbers are speculative.
spec teaser.png

They might have managed to game the demo course a little, but the EPA rating of 238 isn't subject to that kind of thing. Good for them.

The EPA tests are biased to low speed driving, not much real world highway type stuff. So the route kinda mirrors the EPA test. Still 238 EPA rating is pretty great, and that is certainly worth a lot. The first 200+ mile range EV from a company other than Tesla is a big deal, and a worthy accomplishment.

Green Car Reports first drive report said they used 58.7 kWh on their drive, so pretty close to 60kWh usable. Breakdown on the screen was 99% Driving, 1% Climate, 0% Battery Conditioning

EDIT:
"Our six-hour drive route took us 235 miles from Monterey, California, south to Santa Barbara, largely along the scenic coastal Route 1." Snippet from the GCR first drive review.

If they spent 6hrs driving 240 miles that is 40mph average. Pretty slow. PCH is 55mph, but most areas you cannot travel nearly that fast. GCR reported 4.1mile/kWh which is ~245Wh/mile. Other review (Motor Trend) got 4.6miles/kWh or ~220Wh/mile. Seems like GM selected a low speed route to maximize range and give a good first impression.

Not just low speed, but also conditions easy on climate control.

Reactions: trils0n and Yuri_G