Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CleanCam rear camera washer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have installed a rear camera washer system onto my car. It is a challenge to keep the rear camera lens clean especially in winter climates where the rear camera constantly gets dirty because of road spray. Originally I bought the Abstract Ocean Superhydrophobic camera cover. It worked fine in the summer months but then the seal leaked and water got in during the winter months. I ended up removing it. So I embarked on piecing together some kind of kit. Here were some of the criteria I was working with:
- Separate switch to activate rear washer independent of the front windshield washer
- Minimize amount of wiring needed to be run for both electric and the hose (ideally put a reservoir in the trunk area)
- Ensure the washer doesn’t block the view of the camera
- Make it look as factory as possible

After googling around on various car forums, I came to the realization that a washer system is not very complicated. You need a reservoir, pump, nozzle and a switch. All of these parts can be had for fairly cheap depending on how you want to mount everything. The challenge is finding something that can be installed without looking too ghetto. The rear trunk area doesn’t have very much space to mount a nozzle. I ended up finding this camera housing on eBay that has a nozzle integrated. It wasn’t cheap but really liked how it looked OEM.
IMG_6930.jpg

I then looked into finding a reservoir and ending up ordering one of AliExpress. Then came the switch. I found a wireless control switch also off AliExpress so I don’t have a run a wire from the cabin to the pump. Only have to put the button somewhere easy to reach.

Installation wasn’t too bad. Removal of camera wasn’t hard with their video instructions. Running the tube is the trickiest part having to remove paneling and fishing the tubing through to get it to the rear hatch (I also installed some eagle eye tail lights and the wiring is a pain to run to the hatch). I put the reservoir in the rear left cubby hole in the trunk and left some extra length of tubing so I can pull out the reservoir for easy access to fill. I have liners for the cubby hole so just drilled a hole to run the tube through it. For electrical I decided that I didn’t want to splice into factory wiring so just hooked up the wireless controller to a 12v plug. Then I bought a 12v socket splitter so I can still use the rear 12v plug which I often use for a cooler. So you can see the wiring for this part but I’m not too fussed about it. Overall I am very happy with this set up. Too bad Tesla doesn’t include something like this as a feature.

Video

Attachments

• IMG_6928.jpg
    IMG_6928.jpg
    283.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_7018.jpg
    IMG_7018.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_7019.jpg
    IMG_7019.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 1
This is a great idea. I see you are in Canada, as am I - so have you found some clear antifreeze to put in the reservoir, otherwise your lower hatch is going to get a blue or pink smear all over it when this is in use?

This got me thinking - I wonder if it's possible to use air instead of water somehow, to constantly blow air across the camera, blowing away any water / snow / spray from the lens. The blower could then be entirely inside the tailgate. The air-pump noise may be a problem inside I suppose. Hmmmm.

This got me thinking - I wonder if it's possible to use air instead of water somehow, to constantly blow air across the camera, blowing away any water / snow / spray from the lens. The blower could then be entirely inside the tailgate. The air-pump noise may be a problem inside I suppose. Hmmmm.

Using small 12/16g CO2 cartridges might be an idea. Tiny. Cheap. Replaceable. Provides enough pressure for a bunch of uses. Not enough to be a hazard.

Its funny the internet has all the lores about why Teslas are bad but in years of operation my primary gripe with the car is having to clean the rear cam!

I have installed a rear camera washer system onto my car. It is a challenge to keep the rear camera lens clean especially in winter climates where the rear camera constantly gets dirty because of road spray. Originally I bought the Abstract Ocean Superhydrophobic camera cover. It worked fine in the summer months but then the seal leaked and water got in during the winter months. I ended up removing it. So I embarked on piecing together some kind of kit. Here were some of the criteria I was working with:
- Separate switch to activate rear washer independent of the front windshield washer
- Minimize amount of wiring needed to be run for both electric and the hose (ideally put a reservoir in the trunk area)
- Ensure the washer doesn’t block the view of the camera
- Make it look as factory as possible

After googling around on various car forums, I came to the realization that a washer system is not very complicated. You need a reservoir, pump, nozzle and a switch. All of these parts can be had for fairly cheap depending on how you want to mount everything. The challenge is finding something that can be installed without looking too ghetto. The rear trunk area doesn’t have very much space to mount a nozzle. I ended up finding this camera housing on eBay that has a nozzle integrated. It wasn’t cheap but really liked how it looked OEM.
View attachment 1049214

I then looked into finding a reservoir and ending up ordering one of AliExpress. Then came the switch. I found a wireless control switch also off AliExpress so I don’t have a run a wire from the cabin to the pump. Only have to put the button somewhere easy to reach.

Installation wasn’t too bad. Removal of camera wasn’t hard with their video instructions. Running the tube is the trickiest part having to remove paneling and fishing the tubing through to get it to the rear hatch (I also installed some eagle eye tail lights and the wiring is a pain to run to the hatch). I put the reservoir in the rear left cubby hole in the trunk and left some extra length of tubing so I can pull out the reservoir for easy access to fill. I have liners for the cubby hole so just drilled a hole to run the tube through it. For electrical I decided that I didn’t want to splice into factory wiring so just hooked up the wireless controller to a 12v plug. Then I bought a 12v socket splitter so I can still use the rear 12v plug which I often use for a cooler. So you can see the wiring for this part but I’m not too fussed about it. Overall I am very happy with this set up. Too bad Tesla doesn’t include something like this as a feature.

Video
That's pretty good engineering, nice!

This is a great idea. I see you are in Canada, as am I - so have you found some clear antifreeze to put in the reservoir, otherwise your lower hatch is going to get a blue or pink smear all over it when this is in use?
I haven't looked for any yet. Right now it's just water in there for the initial installation and testing. I have a few months to sort it out before it gets cold again. :)

Slick solution.

The first car I ever owned was an old Opel station wagon. The window washing fluid was dispensed using what was essentially a squirt gun - a rubber bulb you stepped on (located on the floor) to squirt/push the fluid out. It worked flawlessly. When that car was scrapped, I salvaged a few parts, including the window washing mechanism (bulb, tubing, tank, etc.).

It was later used in an old B210 Datsun when the washer failed. Also worked flawlessly.

Guess it's not practical to use in this application (hose would need to be too long) but wanted to say that sometimes simple stuff is the best.

Last edited:
I did a quick search and stumbled across a Reddit thread saying that Adam's make a clear windshield washer fluid. Will order some later. Someone also suggested using some cheap vodka. lmao

Reactions: drdumont
Sweet. I have it easier, since I'm only in New Hampshire, USA, and park under my bedroom in a garage that normally stays at least a little above freezing in the winter. So I get by with a simple spray bottle of water next to where I park. A quick spray on the rear camera lens when I come home and plug in will normally drip dry before I leave again. Though if I spray just before leaving on a freezing day the water will freeze on the lens and distort the picture.

Any photos of the business end installed?
Unfortunately not. In my frustration trying to also run electrical wires for the new taillights, I forgot to take pictures from that end when I finally got everything routed. If it is helpful, here is a picture of the back of the housing and also the route I ran the tubing.

Attachments

• IMG_6931 (1).jpg
    IMG_6931 (1).jpg
    957.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 2024-05-23_15-57-36.jpg
    2024-05-23_15-57-36.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 3
I have a love / hate relationship with Tesla. I truly love my Model 3s, am Jonesing for an S, but HATE that Tesla does some really stupid things from time to time. Lack of a rear window washer/wiper. Lack of the rear camera washer, lack of a front camera at bumper level. All of these things which could be options, or just add the hardware to all cars and make them software $$$ optional like they did the rear seat heaters.
I'm aware of the old Detroit saw about "It would cost us $ 0.50 cents per car, we make 5 million cars a year, so look how much money we save". Typical bean counter crap.
Yet how much money does Tesla piss away on silly useless awkward to play games, fart noises, goat horns (which you can't use when driving the car fer crissakes), and alienate some people with stupid unreadable font/background color/sizes, difficulty getting service or answers to logical questions?
Some of us in order to enjoy the Best EV experience suck it up, spend $$$ on third party add ons, or do some clever wiring, use do it yourself skills and move on. I solved he Chrome Deletion with used parts from wreckers. Alas, not everyone has the opportunity, time or skills.
The OP's solution to the rear camera washer is very well done and practical. Kudos!
I just ignore the FSD idiocy, the control less vehicle idea, the Cyber Truck Circus, political issues and enjoy my cars for the few years I have left.

YOU KIDS GET OFFA MY LAWN!

Reactions: EatsShoots
I have a love / hate relationship with Tesla. I truly love my Model 3s, am Jonesing for an S, but HATE that Tesla does some really stupid things from time to time. Lack of a rear window washer/wiper. Lack of the rear camera washer, lack of a front camera at bumper level. All of these things which could be options, or just add the hardware to all cars and make them software $$$ optional like they did the rear seat heaters.
I'm aware of the old Detroit saw about "It would cost us $ 0.50 cents per car, we make 5 million cars a year, so look how much money we save". Typical bean counter crap.
Yet how much money does Tesla piss away on silly useless awkward to play games, fart noises, goat horns (which you can't use when driving the car fer crissakes), and alienate some people with stupid unreadable font/background color/sizes, difficulty getting service or answers to logical questions?
Some of us in order to enjoy the Best EV experience suck it up, spend $$$ on third party add ons, or do some clever wiring, use do it yourself skills and move on. I solved he Chrome Deletion with used parts from wreckers. Alas, not everyone has the opportunity, time or skills.
The OP's solution to the rear camera washer is very well done and practical. Kudos!
I just ignore the FSD idiocy, the control less vehicle idea, the Cyber Truck Circus, political issues and enjoy my cars for the few years I have left.

YOU KIDS GET OFFA MY LAWN!
Also love/hate for me, but I have that with all of my vehicles.

The main problem I have with Tesla is that their repairs are exceptionally expensive, which leads to astronomical insurance rates. Resale is also God-awful, so what I'm getting at is the hidden costs with Teslas are very, very high.

The promises of FSD have been lies for years, but I knew that before I bought it so can't play dumb now. The driving experience is exceptional, the software mostly works really well. Certain things like theater mode are things i Never thought I'd use but I do use it sometimes and I love it. We're about 33k miles in and the only maintenance has been tires.

Also love/hate for me, but I have that with all of my vehicles.

The main problem I have with Tesla is that their repairs are exceptionally expensive, which leads to astronomical insurance rates. Resale is also God-awful, so what I'm getting at is the hidden costs with Teslas are very, very high.

The promises of FSD have been lies for years, but I knew that before I bought it so can't play dumb now. The driving experience is exceptional, the software mostly works really well. Certain things like theater mode are things i Never thought I'd use but I do use it sometimes and I love it. We're about 33k miles in and the only maintenance has been tires.
I guess it is YMMV. I bought my Teslas to use and to drive until the wheels fall off, as I have done with my vehicles since 1964. he near lack of maintenance expense on the Teslas is a major consideration. What service/repair has been needed was taken care of in a smart, seamanlike manner, and I have no complaints about Tesla's service or the collision repair (Some dope backed over The Blue Bunny with an RV). Yeah, her insurance paid through the nose, but I got a "Like It Never Happened" repair.
I can see where the drop in resale prices will upset some folks, and perhaps sme have their panties in a wad over the FSD issue. In my case, resale is not an issue, and I am to this day a Nattering Nabob of Negativity in re FSD. I will likely be shoveling burning brimstone before that fantasy every hist mainstream.
Even as a 77 year old male with A CDL, eyesight in one eye only and a reasonably good driving record (Spotless in the last 1 years), I have been able to find reasonable insurance. I have an independent agent who does a good job.
So, YMMV, but I will stay with Tesla.
I no longer commute, but I drive long distance many times a year, BTW.