Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Huh? How are they inaccurate? Any data to back that up? Molecular test positivity is rising, as is the number of molecular tests conducted.

Nope.

When did the govt start using those highly accurate PCR tests for reporting the covid numbers?

He'll be (in small part) to blame if we have to expand lockdowns further.

I don’t believe he has been against wearing masks. And has been seen wearing them although not always. I wish he’d emphasize the mask usage. That is the single, best, easiest thing to do.

Referring to deaths. Definitely high.

I don't know what you mean by this, even after reviewing the back and forth.

Nope.

When did the govt start using those highly accurate PCR tests for reporting the covid numbers?

In general it's been the case from the beginning, though it definitely varies from state to state. The gold standard continues to be molecular testing, and the 3rd party tracking sites also generally use molecular "confirmed" cases only in their numbers, as well, whenever possible (the top-line case number appears to be the total of confirmed + probable, but they also give the break down for this).

So rest assured the numbers are generally accurate, represent true positives, and the only thing that alters (somewhat) what they mean is the number of tests (which affects case ascertainment, so you cannot compare this peak directly with the peak in March/April - though it's getting close!). Obviously there are exceptions (I imagine there are a few jurisdictions still carelessly including antigen results and not providing the necessary info to back them out), but they appear to be in the minority. You can go through state by state and see the relative contribution of "probable" cases to the overall case number, on the tracking sites - in general it's small.

When you then take into account that the antigen tests really don't have THAT many false positives, and the people getting them are often at pretty high risk (and may be symptomatic!), even those probable cases look pretty likely to be true cases - though undoubtedly there are some false positives. As we all know, in a low prevalence environment, even fairly high specificity may not be good enough and could mean a lot of false positives - but right now, we're not in a low prevalence environment, and it's a biased sample getting the tests. So probably not much of an issue.

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) | 2020 Interim Case Definition, Approved August 5, 2020

Covid tracking definition:

https://covidtracking.com/data
Screen Shot 2020-11-16 at 12.06.46 PM.png

Last edited:
I think we’ve got a chance. We’ll be at a 7-day average of 2300 deaths per day in about three weeks, so that’ll add up fast. Depends what cases do in the next two weeks. I’m assuming we’ll hit 250k without too much difficulty, before the end of November, which would mean about 4000 deaths per day by the end of the year.

Hard to predict, since it entirely depends on human behavior, and adjustments by leaders to slow the spread. But looks like Dr. Scott Altas is in charge, so I would bet the over here. I predicted 320k by the end of the year in September, which seems quite reasonable at the moment - requires an average of 1500 deaths per day from this point. Should not be a problem at all.

I think if we see the deaths/day number increasing faster than it currently does, then it will indicate that we can get there before Jan 1.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Rapid Testing Is Less Accurate Than the Government Wants to Admit — ProPublica

A long discussion of antigen testing strategy. Worth a read. Note that not all antigen tests are created equal. But there is certainly a place for antigen testing, if the correct strategy is used. I don’t have high hopes at the moment that there will be any proper vetting, nor any uniform strategy employed.

I think if we see the deaths/day number increasing faster than it currently does, then it will indicate that we can get there before Jan 1.

We’ll see. Restrictions are rolling out again, so some states are going to start slowing down in the next week or so. Still think we’ll hit 250k daily cases before the end of the month, but we shall see.

Wow.... You do have it in for him.

Lol. Only when he says dumb stuff, which is surprisingly common for him when it comes to coronavirus. I just don't like people doing stuff that puts other people at elevated risk of death. It rubs me the wrong way, sorry. With great power comes great responsibility.

Meaning not every single death reported as being due to covid is actually due to covid.

That's very likely a true statement, but an interesting corollary to that statement is that the current number of COVID deaths is likely an undercount of the actual deaths *due* to COVID (not "with" COVID). The discrepancy is likely not growing much these days (the majority of the discrepancy is likely due to the excess deaths in March and April which were categorized as stroke/cardio events - COVID is a vascular disease) due to better awareness & testing capability. Can't test people after they've been buried or cremated.

Meaning not every single death reported as being due to covid is actually due to covid. But that’s splitting hairs. Covid is a problem. Everyone should be wearing masks. If that was done, could avoid massive shutdowns.
It's too bad that classification is subject to political vetting. If the primary cause of death was, say pneumonia, but the pneumonia was due to Covid (e.g. the chances of getting pneumonia were small before Covid.) then it really should be counted as a Covid death.

That's very likely a true statement, but an interesting corollary to that statement is that the current number of COVID deaths is likely an undercount of the actual deaths *due* to COVID (not "with" COVID). The discrepancy is likely not growing much these days (the majority of the discrepancy is likely due to the excess deaths in March and April which were categorized as stroke/cardio events - COVID is a vascular disease) due to better awareness & testing capability. Can't test people after they've been buried or cremated.

Right, and it's also worth pointing out that the standards for deciding whether a death was caused by COVID are basically the same as the standards for determining whether a death was caused by flu or any other illness, i.e. even if it is high, it is still high in the same way that all other illnesses' CFRs are high, so the numbers are still comparable.

But as you said, there are a lot of stroke and heart attack deaths that were likely caused by coronavirus, but were incorrectly recorded without that bit of data, and I suspect that this is still occurring in some states (for example, Florida), largely because of politics.

Anger in North Dakota after governor asks Covid-positive health workers to keep working

"Still, Johnson said there’s a disconnect between what healthcare workers are experiencing inside North Dakota’s health facilities, and how the general population perceives the virus. And that even before Burgum’s comments, some of her colleagues felt they had to choose between taking all precautions and limited time off. “One of my closest friends, also a healthcare worker, said to me the other day, ‘There’s no way I will ever get tested unless I’m very sick, because I don’t want to use my paid leave.’”
-------------------------
Another US-'feature' that undoubtedly made the pandemic worse.
People risking to go without pay or having to use their PTO if they call in sick. So they don't unless they really have to.

I still think that higher intensity messaging would get more people to take this more seriously.
Show the people in the ICU on the doorstep of death,and hear from their families and the families of people that have passed.
Interview the people with 'long Covid' and have them describe their lives before and after.
Less numbers, less statistics, more people.

And there would be no need for the usual stupid dramatization. It's all dramatic enough.

Reactions: UrsS
Google Maps updates to get you through the holidays

Whether you’re heading out of town or staying local, keeping a pulse on the latest COVID trends can help you stay safe. Since we launched the COVID layer, it’s helped nearly 10 million people get critical information about COVID-19 right from Google Maps.

We’re rolling out two new improvements in the coming weeks. The updated COVID layer on Android and iOS will soon show more information, including all-time detected cases in an area, along with quick links to COVID resources from local authorities. This is especially handy if you’re heading out of town and need to get up to speed about the local guidelines, testing sites and restrictions in another city.

the prior bit about it

When you open Google Maps, tap on the layers button on the top right hand corner of your screen and click on “COVID-19 info”. You’ll then see a seven-day average of new COVID cases per 100,000 people for the area of the map you’re looking at, and a label that indicates whether the cases are trending up or down. Color coding also helps you easily distinguish the density of new cases in an area. Trending case data is visible at the country level for all 220 countries and territories that Google Maps supports, along with state or province, county, and city-level data where available.

Amazing. EUA for an at-home molecular nucleic acid amplification test (uses LAMP technology I guess which sounds similar to IDNow but I have no idea).

No idea of specificity, etc. Or cost. And there will never be enough of course.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update: FDA Authorizes First COVID-19 Test for Self-Testing at Home

We really just need a lot of fast antigen tests though, which I think are less fancy than this. And a lot cheaper probably. Oh well. Not going to do anything correctly I would guess.

Last edited:
“we recently evaluated the financial costs and gains of a nationwide antigen testing plan that would have started in June 2020 and run through December 2020. The total cost (all included) was $28 billion, it would have increased GDP (conservatively) by $395 billion and possibly $1 trillion or more if we did not have the outbreaks that we do today and did not need to shut down again.”

How We Can Stop the Spread of Coronavirus by Christmas

Sounds like even if it did not work it would be worth a shot. So cheap!

Rapid Tests for COVID-19 - Open Schools and Save Lives

You can text Congress and your governor here. It’s not too late. The tests already exist.

Last edited:
This is fricking nuts! More than 8 months into the pandemic and there are still people who think it's hoax? This is from healthcare workers in 3 different states:
South Dakota nurse says some patients deny COVID-19 is real, even as they die from it | KTLA
'This is not a hoax': Health workers frustrated with patients refusing to believe COVID-19 is real - from WI
In addition to capacity issues, he's facing another challenge—patients refusing to believe they have COVID-`19.

"I've heard, 'It will go away after the election,' I've heard, 'I have O-negative type blood and my blood type can’t get COVID,' yet they're being admitted to the ICU," Dr. Larsen said.

He and other health workers say they believe people have stopped listening to them, and some say it's been tough to see people still not social distancing.
They say 'it's all a hoax': Nurses describe what it's like treating COVID patients in Utah
"They deny it," Smithson said.

Their family members deny it. We have these patients who literally are on life support. We're working super hard to get them better, finally helping them to wake up. And then the first thing they communicate is that it's all a hoax.
"I wish people understood how much we really care..." Roberts said.

Dr. Brandon Webb says there continues to be pushback over the state's new mask mandate.
A FB friend of someone I know continually spews misinformation in FB comments about COVID and a frowned upon topic here. I'm pretty sure it's the same person who has made a ton of anti-mask comments including posting Are These Claims About the Effectiveness of Face Masks True? verbatim (asserting the post in there was true). Today, she said "Its a virus, LESS deadly than the flu!!" ARGH!

Many Challenges Arise When People Doubt Pandemic's Threat is a 4 minute listen.
ROTT: But go outside and ask folks, mask-wearers or not, about their thoughts on the coronavirus pandemic and...

MARVIN LOFTIS: (Laughter) The big joke?

ROTT: You think it's a big joke?

LOFTIS: It's just another cold.
CRAIG MANN: It's garbage. It's absolute garbage. And there's been plenty of proof behind the whole COVID pandemic, if you will, that links back to communist China. And it's communist Marxism that they're trying to push on this country.
PAM FORNQUEST: And now they're telling us the hospitals are overwhelmed here in our community? It's for fear. That's what it's for - just to cause fear. And I don't appreciate that at all. It's a fear tactic.

This is fricking nuts! More than 8 months into the pandemic and there are still people who think it's hoax? This is from healthcare workers in 3 different states:
South Dakota nurse says some patients deny COVID-19 is real, even as they die from it | KTLA
'This is not a hoax': Health workers frustrated with patients refusing to believe COVID-19 is real - from WI

They say 'it's all a hoax': Nurses describe what it's like treating COVID patients in Utah

A FB friend of someone I know continually spews misinformation in FB comments about COVID and a frowned upon topic here. I'm pretty sure it's the same person who has made a ton of anti-mask comments including posting Are These Claims About the Effectiveness of Face Masks True? verbatim (asserting the post in there was true). Today, she said "Its a virus, LESS deadly than the flu!!" ARGH!

Many Challenges Arise When People Doubt Pandemic's Threat is a 4 minute listen.
My wife tells me she has patients who still tell her this is all a hoax, who are seeing her because of COVID19 issues. Yeah they didn’t die but now they have cardiac problems. But they still think it is all nothing.

Open Schools *or* save lives. Choose one.

In aggregate, rapid testing is awesome at driving down the number of people who are walking around spreading the disease. If we could get everybody tested, we could quarantine the people who test positive and dramatically reduce the rate of transmission in the next cycle.

The problem is that it is nowhere near 100%. The rapid tests only catch about 84% of cases, i.e. about one in six sick people will still be out there walking around. That's nowhere near good enough for a school environment, where dozens of people are sharing air all day every day, because in that environment, it doesn't matter if one person is sick or six; they're all getting it.

What's needed is a much more drastic approach. Pick a day about six weeks into the future. Announce that on that day, all businesses are shutting down for two weeks, and everyone must stay at home and not congregate. Steep fines for all violations. At the end of those two weeks, if nobody in your household is showing symptoms, everybody takes a rapid test. Otherwise, everybody takes a PCR test and quarantines for an additional two or three days while they wait for results.

For anyone who tests negative, you're done. The combination of no symptoms for two whole weeks plus a negative test means you're very unlikely to be sick. The few random cases that still make it through can be mopped up with contact tracing. For anyone who tests positive (by either test), you remain quarantined. The government will provide someone to bring you a food delivery every couple of days so you don't run out, and everyone in your household takes a rapid test every day. Two weeks after the last positive rapid test, they let you go (or one week for single-person households).

Do that, and the virus will be approximately gone by Christmas.

My wife tells me she has patients who still tell her this is all a hoax, who are seeing her because of COVID19 issues. Yeah they didn’t die but now they have cardiac problems. But they still think it is all nothing.

One problem is that we don't teach psychology in school until college, and it is optional even then. As a result, we have entire generations who don't recognize obvious psychological disorders when they see them.

Another problem is that many people see political parties as part of their identity, rather than seeing elections as a choice between two (or more) people, which results in poor decision-making and party-line votes, rather than intelligent discourse and finding actual solutions to real problems.

Finally, far too many people can't tell the difference between leadership and bullying, and mistakenly see strength as a sign of leadership even when it is used in hurtful ways. (And just so we're clear, I'm not saying that this is just a Republican thing; take a look at New York's politicians over the years if you don't believe me.)

All of these things point to a broken education system that has failed to prepare our young people for the moral, ethical, and civic responsibilities that will face them as adults. Until we stop under-funding our education system — until we pay teachers enough that good teachers won't flock to other careers over education so that they can pay the bills — we're going to continue having a populace that lacks the breadth of education required to make good decisions, and lacks the drive to learn things on their own that will enable them to get that education outside of the system, which means that their only source of knowledge will be the people who feed it to them; unfortunately, those people don't always have their best interests at heart.