Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(Long post, sorry)

Picked up my Ultra Red/White MXP this morning. Everything went very smoothly, including the wire that was sent yesterday by FedChoice, just as their documentation indicated would be done. Only issues I found were a slight bulge in the first 2-3" of rubber trim where the upright portion of the passenger FWD meets the flat top part. Cosmetic really as it still seals to dust and the water seals are underneath. Still, the SA noted it saying it would be fixed if I wanted. I'm kinda on the fence because it's not obvious. The carbon fiber retractable panel covering the cup holders had a very slight abrasion that only showed in certain light. SA said they would replace the whole thing for me if I chose, but as I drive with it halfway retracted 95% of the time (cupholders in use), I will never notice it. Might just let it be also. I think no one not specifically looking for it would see it. Also had some dirt/scuffs on the bottom of driver side door that SA cleaned up nicely for me.

Other than these, it was as close to perfect as I've seen any car get. The black trim around the windows lines up and isn't randomly tilted/depressed as I've seen some. Panel gaps are all even and none are excessively sized. The grayish plastic cladding around the wheel wells has a very tiny and uniform gap all the way around the circumference where it meets the paint. No issues whatsoever with FWD function, and the handles line up nearly perfectly with the fronts. No paint issues to my eye (I'm not a detailer). Definitely some orange peel and a few light swirls but I've never seen a car (new or otherwise) without these. No rattles, squeaks, vibrations - not even the shudder I noticed from day 1 on my 22 MSLR. All electronics working 100%, GPS accuracy flawless, FSD calibrated in less than 20 miles on my way home. Neither of my previous Teslas were this good. I am floored.

A few observations (good and bad) coming from a 2022 Model S LR for those you looking to live vicariously:

1. Power. Unbelievable power. Took my son for a drive and punched it from a dig to maybe 50-60 mph. What a rush. Probably not life altering like the MSP, but definitely WAY beyond what my MSLR could do on the best of days. More visceral punch than my M3P had and more top end than my MSLR. The power and torque in Plaid mode - especially at lower speeds - is so overwhelming I actually feel more comfortable in sport mode, which feels a lot like Insane mode on my MSLR, maybe even a touch more powerful. Seriously, I cannot overstate just how torquey and throttle sensitive Plaid mode is - if I sneezed and jerked my leg just a little bit the car would rocket forward and pin everyone in the vehicle to their seatbacks. I love it, my kids love it, my wife is so-so but adores watching the kids have such a good time with it. I'm a lucky man. 😁

2. That unending windshield. What an absolute joy. Today is one of those perfect crisp, fall days with scattered clouds over a bright blue sky, and just watching the scenery roll by as I drove the car home with some tunes going was a magical experience. Made me feel like I was driving a convertible. Sun in the upper portion didn't bother me one bit, either, which was particularly suprising given that I didn't have my Maui Jim's.

3. The suspension is definitely firm when I pick the right settings, but compliant in comfort mode. A good deal better than my MS LR, for sure. The testers I drove previously didn't feel nearly as nice.

4. A decent amount more wind noise at highway speeds than my MS LR. Still a composed and quiet experience, but not on par with the MS, which was excellent. Seems at least partially due to the acres of glass surrounding you.

5. Still can't get my FWDs to open fully every time in my garage. They do a pretty good job with only a single button press, allowing me (5'11") to get in easily with just a bit of stooping, and would be more than enough for my kids to enter (primary occupants for those seats), but I would still like to resolve this issue. The car only seems to prompt me with the "Open fully at this location" button some of the time when I open them, and the setting doesn't seem to really do anything. Good thing is that I'm sure they can open all the way, so I don't have to watch them closely as I nudge it a few inches at a time.

6. The front sliding tray (oppose the cupholder slider) feels a little loose and rattles a bit when sliding. Oddly, my MS tray - which seems identical - felt pretty tight and high quality. Not sure if they're cheaping on some of these less used parts, but yeah.

7. The red brakes on the plaid look nice and loud, but tbh I think I would have preferred the black they used to be. I thought this was a good change until I see how much that Ferrari red clashes with the classier Ultra red. Not that noticeable though, overall.

8. Camera quality compared to my old MS (with HW3) is superb. Much more accurate color and better resolution. FSDb feels MUCH improved from the MS, but I don't know if that's the HW4.

9. Vision (as others have posted many times) is 100% useless for parking. I have always disabled parking chimes and I do so again for this car.

10. The front door open, pause, then pull open took me several uses to get used to. It doesn't seem to be an issue when opening from the outside, and inside I just pop the door, then remove my belt and get out. By the time I'm actually trying to open the door the motor has released.

11. Coming from a Model S which still had a few legacy components from a very old platform (some of which they updated since I took delivery in Jan 2022), I'm loving the newer pedigree of the Model X. Components like the taillights, headlights, charge port, trunk mechanism and a few other minor ones feel more on par with a M3/MY-era car, and less a decade old platform.

12. I'm not at all crazy about the configuration of the subtrunk cover panel. There is no holder to keep it up if you want it vertical, and if you put it in the lower setting (my likely default position), there are some gaps around the edges of it making it look a bit kludgey. You can also see those unfortunate wire harnesses for the third row seats in that position, which looks unrefined and cheap.

Overall, I'm thrilled with the car and the experience. Very glad I pulled the trigger when I did. Now a couple of photos. Pardon the wacky second shot - I really like the lines of the front 3/4 views. It's a handsome car, if perhaps not as good looking as its sedan siblings:

View attachment 986810
View attachment 986811
Congrats!

Reactions: Neon001
No the iX is over the $80k threshold. And to make comparisons more Apples to Apples, once you start making upgrades to the iX 50 it quickly outpaces the MXLR in price, even with 10% off MSRP.

But everyone has to find the right deal for their situation, so I don't doubt for some the iX or EQS or Q8 E-Tron is the better or preferred deal.
I mean, the few things Model X has over iX is really, the cargo space, power, FSD (for those who actually have this) and a good infotainment system with a built in screen for the rear, although I really do prefer using Google Maps using Apple Carplay over using Tesla's navigation, which apparently doesn't work well if you're in a dead zone vs Google Maps' caching. Model X does have the wow factor when you open those FWD, but it will get old over time. You also have to account that the Model X does suffer from inner tire wear, so be prepared to replace those tires ($1500 each time on the cheaper side) pretty frequently depending on how many miles you drive. I've read that some people have to change these every 20k miles, which is less than 2 years of driving for me.

BMW base iX doesn't have as much power as Model X, but does anyone REALLY need 500+ hp? Seriously, it's easy to kill someone with that kind of power and you can easily lose control if you don't know what you're doing. In the end, your legal speed limit is still 65-75mph, depending on state. Getting there in 3.5 seconds vs getting there in 4.5 really doesn't matter to most.

BMW iX does have some things over the Model X: front facing camera, USS on the bumpers, seat comfort, interior fit and finish, better ambient lighting (not a big deal,) Apple CarPlay (easy to change over wife's iPhone during driving for music, etc) less squeaks, available HUD, sound system (Bang and Olufsen definitely beats Tesla's MX sound system) etc.

The only con for me that iX is that it's pretty ugly. If it was designed much nicer, like their X5, I would've easily jumped on it over the Model X, which to me is starting to show its age after being on the market for many years.

Last edited:
Reactions: AXLR
You also have to account that the Model X does suffer from inner tire wear, so be prepared to replace those tires ($1500 each time) pretty frequently depending on how many miles you drive. I've read that some people have to change these every 20k miles, which is less than 2 years of driving for me.
There is a remedy for this, though Tesla should have provided the remedy already by now (after-all, they did add in adjustable rear toe arms with the refresh, why not adjustable rear camber at the same time 🤷‍♂️). But, I installed N2itive rear adjustable camber arms and had all 4 wheels realigned to reduce the rear negative camber to address this issue and hopefully save on tire replacement cost.

I just find the BMW servie is nickle & dining when you go for their service. They hassle you with stuff you don’t need . Plus after warranty, you better find a 3rd party repair shop.
Yeah, I believe for the first three years, service is free with any BMW. I don't see how their all electric BMW would really need that much service besides tire rotations and brakes honestly.

What other things do you really need to do on an EV? I guess maybe flush the battery coolant system? I don't see how it would be any different with a Tesla, and you can always refuse.

There is a remedy for this, though Tesla should have provided the remedy already by now (after-all, they did add in adjustable rear toe arms with the refresh, why not adjustable rear camber at the same time 🤷‍♂️). But, I installed N2itive rear adjustable camber arms and had all 4 wheels realigned to reduce the rear negative camber to address this issue and hopefully save on tire replacement cost.

Yeah, this method does work, although any suspension warranty work would be voided so you'll have to take them off and put back to OEM spec before doing so, which is annoying to me.

Speaking of which, my before suspension reading was all out of spec from the factory.

Tesla X before alignment reading.jpg

I mean, the few things Model X has over iX is really, the cargo space, power, FSD (for those who actually have this) and a good infotainment system with a built in screen for the rear, although I really do prefer using Google Maps using Apple Carplay over using Tesla's navigation, which apparently doesn't work well if you're in a dead zone vs Google Maps' caching. Model X does have the wow factor when you open those FWD, but it will get old over time. You also have to account that the Model X does suffer from inner tire wear, so be prepared to replace those tires ($1500 each time on the cheaper side) pretty frequently depending on how many miles you drive. I've read that some people have to change these every 20k miles, which is less than 2 years of driving for me.

BMW base iX doesn't have as much power as Model X, but does anyone REALLY need 500+ hp? Seriously, it's easy to kill someone with that kind of power and you can easily lose control if you don't know what you're doing. In the end, your legal speed limit is still 65-75mph, depending on state. Getting there in 3.5 seconds vs getting there in 4.5 really doesn't matter to most.

BMW iX does have some things over the Model X: front facing camera, USS on the bumpers, seat comfort, interior fit and finish, better ambient lighting (not a big deal,) Apple CarPlay (easy to change over wife's iPhone during driving for music, etc) less squeaks, available HUD, sound system (Bang and Olufsen definitely beats Tesla's MX sound system) etc.

The only con for me that iX is that it's pretty ugly. If it was designed much nicer, like their X5, I would've easily jumped on it over the Model X, which to me is starting to show its age after being on the market for many years.
Like I said, it all comes down to preference. Does anyone REALLY need the amenities the the BMW comes with? Again have had both a BMW and Audi, sure the luxury is nice, but for me, what did I do to both? I modded them to make them faster. So for me the 500+ hp is a selling point.

Like I said, it all comes down to preference. Does anyone REALLY need the amenities the the BMW comes with? Again have had both a BMW and Audi, sure the luxury is nice, but for me, what did I do to both? I modded them to make them faster. So for me the 500+ hp is a selling point.
Agree. Very subjective choice in the things we value in a car. I prioritize performance and the infotainment over pure luxury and quality of materials. My neighbor is the opposite. He drives an etron and x5 45e (or whatever the hybrid is), and I have had Teslas for the last 5 years. We're both happy.

Like you, I used to mod cars, paying thousands for what I would consider today to be trivial power gains. Comparatively, the $3500 I paid going from 670 to 1020 HP seems like an absolute steal. I added an entire e46 M3s worth of power for less than I paid for intake, headers and exhaust back in the day. 😂

Yup, the Mercedes is making way for the Model X
Agree. Very subjective choice in the things we value in a car. I prioritize performance and the infotainment over pure luxury and quality of materials. My neighbor is the opposite. He drives an etron and x5 45e (or whatever the hybrid is), and I have had Teslas for the last 5 years. We're both happy.

Like you, I used to mod cars, paying thousands for what I would consider today to be trivial power gains. Comparatively, the $3500 I paid going from 670 to 1020 HP seems like an absolute steal. I added an entire e46 M3s worth of power for less than I paid for intake, headers and exhaust back in the day. 😂
$3500 is less than the price of the exhaust on my prior E46 M3 as well and for that we're getting more than the entire power output of the S54. Hoping to join you in a MXP in the next couple weeks.

I agree with you. At least for me, having the squeaks and creaks would annoy me much more than being teeny bit faster. I don't like the seats creaking when slowing down or speeding up. It almost sounds like being on the airplane during turbulence. I'm realy hoping mine doesn't make any noise, but chances are, it will.

I also used to mod my vehicles. I modded my Infiniti G35x with a new exhaust, and intakes and changed out the lights to LED, but that was back in my right out of college days.

Reactions: TespaceX
(Long post, sorry)

Picked up my Ultra Red/White MXP this morning. Everything went very smoothly, including the wire that was sent yesterday by FedChoice, just as their documentation indicated would be done. Only issues I found were a slight bulge in the first 2-3" of rubber trim where the upright portion of the passenger FWD meets the flat top part. Cosmetic really as it still seals to dust and the water seals are underneath. Still, the SA noted it saying it would be fixed if I wanted. I'm kinda on the fence because it's not obvious. The carbon fiber retractable panel covering the cup holders had a very slight abrasion that only showed in certain light. SA said they would replace the whole thing for me if I chose, but as I drive with it halfway retracted 95% of the time (cupholders in use), I will never notice it. Might just let it be also. I think no one not specifically looking for it would see it. Also had some dirt/scuffs on the bottom of driver side door that SA cleaned up nicely for me.

Other than these, it was as close to perfect as I've seen any car get. The black trim around the windows lines up and isn't randomly tilted/depressed as I've seen some. Panel gaps are all even and none are excessively sized. The grayish plastic cladding around the wheel wells has a very tiny and uniform gap all the way around the circumference where it meets the paint. No issues whatsoever with FWD function, and the handles line up nearly perfectly with the fronts. No paint issues to my eye (I'm not a detailer). Definitely some orange peel and a few light swirls but I've never seen a car (new or otherwise) without these. No rattles, squeaks, vibrations - not even the shudder I noticed from day 1 on my 22 MSLR. All electronics working 100%, GPS accuracy flawless, FSD calibrated in less than 20 miles on my way home. Neither of my previous Teslas were this good. I am floored.

A few observations (good and bad) coming from a 2022 Model S LR for those you looking to live vicariously:

1. Power. Unbelievable power. Took my son for a drive and punched it from a dig to maybe 50-60 mph. What a rush. Probably not life altering like the MSP, but definitely WAY beyond what my MSLR could do on the best of days. More visceral punch than my M3P had and more top end than my MSLR. The power and torque in Plaid mode - especially at lower speeds - is so overwhelming I actually feel more comfortable in sport mode, which feels a lot like Insane mode on my MSLR, maybe even a touch more powerful. Seriously, I cannot overstate just how torquey and throttle sensitive Plaid mode is - if I sneezed and jerked my leg just a little bit the car would rocket forward and pin everyone in the vehicle to their seatbacks. I love it, my kids love it, my wife is so-so but adores watching the kids have such a good time with it. I'm a lucky man. 😁

2. That unending windshield. What an absolute joy. Today is one of those perfect crisp, fall days with scattered clouds over a bright blue sky, and just watching the scenery roll by as I drove the car home with some tunes going was a magical experience. Made me feel like I was driving a convertible. Sun in the upper portion didn't bother me one bit, either, which was particularly suprising given that I didn't have my Maui Jim's.

3. The suspension is definitely firm when I pick the right settings, but compliant in comfort mode. A good deal better than my MS LR, for sure. The testers I drove previously didn't feel nearly as nice.

4. A decent amount more wind noise at highway speeds than my MS LR. Still a composed and quiet experience, but not on par with the MS, which was excellent. Seems at least partially due to the acres of glass surrounding you.

5. Still can't get my FWDs to open fully every time in my garage. They do a pretty good job with only a single button press, allowing me (5'11") to get in easily with just a bit of stooping, and would be more than enough for my kids to enter (primary occupants for those seats), but I would still like to resolve this issue. The car only seems to prompt me with the "Open fully at this location" button some of the time when I open them, and the setting doesn't seem to really do anything. Good thing is that I'm sure they can open all the way, so I don't have to watch them closely as I nudge it a few inches at a time.

6. The front sliding tray (oppose the cupholder slider) feels a little loose and rattles a bit when sliding. Oddly, my MS tray - which seems identical - felt pretty tight and high quality. Not sure if they're cheaping on some of these less used parts, but yeah.

7. The red brakes on the plaid look nice and loud, but tbh I think I would have preferred the black they used to be. I thought this was a good change until I see how much that Ferrari red clashes with the classier Ultra red. Not that noticeable though, overall.

8. Camera quality compared to my old MS (with HW3) is superb. Much more accurate color and better resolution. FSDb feels MUCH improved from the MS, but I don't know if that's the HW4.

9. Vision (as others have posted many times) is 100% useless for parking. I have always disabled parking chimes and I do so again for this car.

10. The front door open, pause, then pull open took me several uses to get used to. It doesn't seem to be an issue when opening from the outside, and inside I just pop the door, then remove my belt and get out. By the time I'm actually trying to open the door the motor has released.

11. Coming from a Model S which still had a few legacy components from a very old platform (some of which they updated since I took delivery in Jan 2022), I'm loving the newer pedigree of the Model X. Components like the taillights, headlights, charge port, trunk mechanism and a few other minor ones feel more on par with a M3/MY-era car, and less a decade old platform.

12. I'm not at all crazy about the configuration of the subtrunk cover panel. There is no holder to keep it up if you want it vertical, and if you put it in the lower setting (my likely default position), there are some gaps around the edges of it making it look a bit kludgey. You can also see those unfortunate wire harnesses for the third row seats in that position, which looks unrefined and cheap.

Overall, I'm thrilled with the car and the experience. Very glad I pulled the trigger when I did. Now a couple of photos. Pardon the wacky second shot - I really like the lines of the front 3/4 views. It's a handsome car, if perhaps not as good looking as its sedan siblings:

View attachment 986810
View attachment 986811
Beautiful car Man. Love that color! Congrats on your delivery!
Hope you enjoy it!

(Long post, sorry)

View attachment 986810
View attachment 986811
I agree with your assessment about the build quality. I think Tesla finally stepped up its game as far as the build quality.

About the FWD behavior in the garage, mine initially didn’t want to open all the way. I kept pressing the open FWD buttons until both opened all the way and then pressed the keep the door open fully in this location button and it remembered the settings ever since.

Question about your front doors. Did you say that yours open slightly, pause and then it opens itself fully automatically? Or did you mean you pull or push it open by hands? Mine only opens slightly and stay and I have to pull or push it open by hands every time.

Where did you get your alignment done?
The shop that installed my N2itive adjustable camber arms handled the alignment after installation. They took it to a local alignment shop that they work with to do the custom alignment based on N2itive's parameters. Their parameters are within Tesla's spec; however, more specific range within Tesla's range.

If I had to do the alignment myself, I was thinking of checking out Chewerks in La Habra. They seem to do a lot of custom alignments.

Reactions: N2B8