Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Did you just buy a Tesla from Hertz Car Rental?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One common issue with the rental Teslas is people slamming the power liftgate/trunklid shut and messing up the power lift strut and bending the lid. We had all of that. Spending a couple hundred on replacing it didn't seem like fun. We got a 'semi-automatic' strut set from EV Annex for just over thirty dollars and (finally) got everything to work. Not as convenient, but not bad. More details in the blog linked off my profile/about.
my driver door had terrible wind noise and hinge was also making noise probably because people slamming the door. But mine only had 39K mile . Took it to Tesla fixed under Warranty.

I personally wouldnt buy one with more than 50K mile.

Hey have you had any issues with software updates with your hertz Tesla? I followed your instructions (thank you thank you) to get ownership transferred but it’s been like a month now that it seems like it should have updated from 8.7 to 8.9 and it hasn’t (I’ve done all the normal things reboot and confirm good WiFi signal etc) which makes me wonder if something screwey is happening with the hertz fleet software stuff that’s preventing an update. Now that 14.6 is starting to roll out it would feel good if you could confirm that your hertz teslas are getting updates like normal…
I wanted to start this thread for people who just bought a Tesla from Hertz Car Rental. Hertz has something like 100,000 Teslas that they are selling in the next few months. I'm sure a lot of people will have some problems. I think this might be helpful with new Tesla owners, such as transferring ownership or what not.

I got my Model 3 Long Range just a few days ago. I've run into a couple of problems with transferring ownershipd. In my account at Tesla.com, I clicked on "Purchased a car from a third party?", followed the directions and uploaded my documents and ID to Tesla. At the last step, Tesla gave me a 3-letter code to change the name of my car to and finalize the transfer. But that did not work because on my car's touchscreen where I am supposed to be able to tap on the current name and change it to the 3-letter code, tapping on that did nothing. In fact, the current name is greyed out (dark blue, actually) and tapping on the greyed out name has no effect. There are also a couple of things that is locked by a PIN, which I do not have.

I found some contact numbers for assistance. So far, I have not been able to transfer ownership or factory reset the computer. But maybe others might have better luck. If you do find some info, please share it.
Hertz EV Support: 800-848-3424
Fidelity (Hertz after-sales support): 800-327-5172

Hey have you had any issues with software updates with your hertz Tesla? I followed your instructions (thank you thank you) to get ownership transferred but it’s been like a month now that it seems like it should have updated from 8.7 to 8.9 and it hasn’t (I’ve done all the normal things reboot and confirm good WiFi signal etc) which makes me wonder if something screwey is happening with the hertz fleet software stuff that’s preventing an update. Now that 14.6 is starting to roll out it would feel good if you could confirm that your hertz teslas are getting updates like normal…

Once you reset your Tesla, the fleet software was removed. So what you experienced has nothing to do with the vehicle history as a rental.

Once you reset your Tesla, the fleet software was removed. So what you experienced has nothing to do with the vehicle history as a rental.
Sure that’s what I’d figure would happen in theory, but enough stuff has been weird (and not well thought through) about the hertz resold unit software that I wouldn’t be stunned if something stayed weird about it, so it’d just feel good to hear someone confirm that some post-hertz Tesla somewhere in the world has received an update

Sure that’s what I’d figure would happen in theory, but enough stuff has been weird (and not well thought through) about the hertz resold unit software that I wouldn’t be stunned if something stayed weird about it, so it’d just feel good to hear someone confirm that some post-hertz Tesla somewhere in the world has received an update

Mine has updated twice, to 2023.44.30.13 and to 2024.3.10 respectively.

The deck lid is a little misaligned on mine, but there’s no water in the trunk. Will adjust later.
There are some swirls in the clear coat.
There are some chips of paint on the edges of some panels.
There are some scratches of the door and trim plastic.
Driver’s floor mat is not original and fits poorly.
The trunk spring bumpers are missing ($2.20 each at SC).
All 4 rims are scrubbed in one way or another.
There are some scratches and dings in the front and rear bumper.
There’s a stone chip in the middle of the windshield.
The black trim is a little sun faded and has that rainbow oil-staining/sun-faded look on the driver’s side. It is greatly reduced with plain windex.
Two tires are Goodyear. Two tires are Firestone. They are left and right.
Front tires are more worn than rears. Varies between 6 and9+ 32nds of tread.
Slight wind noise from both front windows. Becomes less slight at higher speeds and on windier days.

We’ve driven 1,000 miles in about 17 days and I love it.

$21k for a 2022 AWD model 3
Update at 80,080miles:
Determined that all brake rotors and pads are brand new.
Installed 18” Aero wheels (used from eBay).
Got the free 30 day Faux Self Driving demo and used it a lot. Neat but not really a good driving experience. Drives like my mom.
Going on a 1000 mile trip over Memorial Day weekend.

No issues to date. No hole in battery.

• Funny
Reactions: derekmw
My experience has been the same with the FSD trial in my 2023 Y. I have existing EAP in the ‘18 Performance 3, and find it useful. The FSB is definitely a better product (on city streets) and works better than, say, a year ago when I tried it in my buddy’s S. But worth $8,000? I don’t know.

I had no issues with software updates. I bought two 2022 Model 3's from Hertz, a white one and a black one. Both had a few updates since I bought them. And both got the free FSD demo in April.

A week ago the white one got (v12) 2024.14.6. The black one did not, it's still on (v11) 2024.3.25. The two physical differences between the two cars are the white one has an Intel Atom MCU, NCA battery pack, and a lead acid 12v battery. The black one has an AMD Ryzen MCU, LiFePo battery pack, and a lithium-ion 16v battery. Both are hardware 3.

those who bought 2022 RWD. whats your full charge range? i am now at 260

My ex-Hertz 2022 M3 RWD has 258 mile range and 76,028 miles. It actually went up from a month ago, when it was 253 miles. I don't know if this makes any difference, but I always use a Level 1 home charger (powered by off-grid solar). It takes forever but it's free. I've only used a Super Charger once.

range.jpg

Last edited:
I had no issues with software updates. I bought two 2022 Model 3's from Hertz, a white one and a black one. Both had a few updates since I bought them. And both got the free FSD demo in April.

A week ago the white one got (v12) 2024.14.6. The black one did not, it's still on (v11) 2024.3.25. The two physical differences between the two cars are the white one has an Intel Atom MCU, NCA battery pack, and a lead acid 12v battery. The black one has an AMD Ryzen MCU, LiFePo battery pack, and a lithium-ion 16v battery. Both are hardware 3.
I have Ryzen chip .still waiting on v12