Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY stand for 3 Powerwalls raised off the garage floor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can anyone with a Powerwall2 tell me if the bottom of them are completely flat, or whether they have some protrusion or "feet" on the bottom that they rest on when installed on the floor? I'd like to know if my DIY stand should be flat or accommodate any such "feet" if the Powerwalls have any.

This is my tentative design for a wooden stand I want to build for my 3 "stacked from the wall" Powerwalls to sit on top of. This will be inside of my garage. My installer said it'll pass my city's code as long as it's built really sturdy. I need the PWs sitting 12" high off the garage floor so that I can retain 1 of only 2 garage vents left in my garage.

Everything will be screwed together solid with 3" drywall screws, 3/4" plywood on top, then painted white to match the Powerwalls. I might add a couple of timer-controlled 12vdc box fans for venting the hot garage air further during the hot months of the year, just for some extra ventilation.

Do you see any issue or concerns about this design? Is there anything else that I should plan for in an installation where 3 are stacked 1 in front of the other? I need the stand to be able to support a minimum total of 750 lbs (250 x 3 PWs).

Any suggestions from those who have PWs mounted on the floor would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Powerwalls%20stand%20design%20with%20optional%20fans.jpg

We've just contracted to have solar and 4 PowerWalls installed in our garage. They plan to mount two on the floor and mount the other two on the wall above the floor-mounted PowerWalls. We're doing this to reduce the amount of floor space taken by the PowerWalls around the our Model S that will be parked there.

If the PowerWalls can be mounted onto the walls (12" from the floor), wouldn't that eliminate the need for any stand?

Reactions: dhrivnak
We've just contracted to have solar and 4 PowerWalls installed in our garage. They plan to mount two on the floor and mount the other two on the wall above the floor-mounted PowerWalls. We're doing this to reduce the amount of floor space taken by the PowerWalls around the our Model S that will be parked there.

If the PowerWalls can be mounted onto the walls (12" from the floor), wouldn't that eliminate the need for any stand?

Hi bob_p,
Here in the south Bay Area, I was told by our installers/designer that building code will NOT let us put them above the floor-mounted ones. I too wanted that initially but they said the PW's power switch cannot be higher than 6 feet off the ground, for safety/emergency reasons (?!). Bummer for me, but that's why I'm going with 3 stacked from the wall, one in front of each other. That's roughly 18" from the wall, maybe 19" and that'll leave enough room for our MX next to it.

Also, if more than one is stacked in front of another, they have to be supported from the bottom, due to their heavy weight. If only one is being mounted onto the wall, they can be ABOVE the floor/stand.

Good luck with your installation. Hope ours get installed within the next couple of weeks.

Last edited:
There are 2 "feet". 28" apart from each other.

Approx: 0.5" height x 1.0" wide x 4.25" long.

Note that they are flushed from the back side.

Goodluck with the project.
View attachment 467833 View attachment 467836 View attachment 467837

Hi RoBoRaT,

Those pictures and dimensions are exactly what I was looking for. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Now, if anyone has any suggestions for the box design, please let me know. I'm handy with tools but I don't usually design/make these types of stands, especially for something as important as holding up our precious Powerwalls! :)

Reactions: RoBoRaT
I believe the switch location is an ADA requirement perhaps. Which makes Erik and David’s install (see YouTube) probably at the maximum height and no room for another set below them.

You can install on a wall to raise above possible water issues but not enough for two ‘layers’ it looks like. We installed three in a row on the garage floor (perhaps two inches off) for the same reason) to allow max room for our two cars.

Good luck!

I did three stacked but had to sit them on the garage floor because of the weight. Sitting then a few inches above the floor would have been ideal but could not stack them. View attachment 467890

Hi Zanary,

Nice 3-pack! You're one of the few people that I know of that's got 3 stacked in the same configuration that I'm getting. Could I ask for a favor please? My estimation is that it's around 18 inches from the drywall to the outer edge of your red PW. Could you please measure the exact distance from your drywall to the front outer edge? And does the PW that's closest to the drywall actually touch (butt up to it) or did they put any board inbetween the PW and the drywall? If there is a board in there, may I ask how thick that board is?

I'm asking this because I need to build/paint my stand BEFORE the installers arrive, so it'd help to know the exact distance that I need to cut my boards to. It'll look a lot nicer if the stand is "flush" with the front of the most outer PW. Thanks in advance!

PS: I just picked up the lumber from Home Depot an hour ago, and ready to put this thing together!

Tae

Hi Zanary,

Nice 3-pack! You're one of the few people that I know of that's got 3 stacked in the same configuration that I'm getting. Could I ask for a favor please? My estimation is that it's around 18 inches from the drywall to the outer edge of your red PW. Could you please measure the exact distance from your drywall to the front outer edge? And does the PW that's closest to the drywall actually touch (butt up to it) or did they put any board inbetween the PW and the drywall? If there is a board in there, may I ask how thick that board is?

I'm asking this because I need to build/paint my stand BEFORE the installers arrive, so it'd help to know the exact distance that I need to cut my boards to. It'll look a lot nicer if the stand is "flush" with the front of the most outer PW. Thanks in advance!

PS: I just picked up the lumber from Home Depot an hour ago, and ready to put this thing together!

Tae

The entire stack is right up against my garage wall, which is double sheet rock, followed by double plywood as it's a shared wall in a townhouse complex. They some used serious long lag bolts to all the bracket through all the sheetrock and plywood. It sits nearly flush against the garage wall. There may be a small gap in order to hang it on the wall brackets, but for all intents it's right up against the garage wall and also sitting right against the garage floor on it's two legs (someone showed an imaged of that up above).

I'll get you an close up image in an hour once I'm home.

Hope the above helps before I get you the image.

Reactions: tracksyde
Hi Zanary,

Tae
Here are the pictures.

Attachments

• DE0CEBBF-BDF9-4749-BADB-58DDF45F5C89.jpeg
    DE0CEBBF-BDF9-4749-BADB-58DDF45F5C89.jpeg
    171.8 KB · Views: 208
  • D21645EF-9FFD-4089-880C-C13BBEF6D19A.jpeg
    D21645EF-9FFD-4089-880C-C13BBEF6D19A.jpeg
    259.3 KB · Views: 194
  • EE328350-076C-4E9C-B4E9-6E3D1129D914.jpeg
    EE328350-076C-4E9C-B4E9-6E3D1129D914.jpeg
    241.1 KB · Views: 205
Reactions: tracksyde
The entire stack is right up against my garage wall, which is double sheet rock, followed by double plywood as it's a shared wall in a townhouse complex. They some used serious long lag bolts to all the bracket through all the sheetrock and plywood. It sits nearly flush against the garage wall. There may be a small gap in order to hang it on the wall brackets, but for all intents it's right up against the garage wall and also sitting right against the garage floor on it's two legs (someone showed an imaged of that up above).

I'll get you an close up image in an hour once I'm home.

Hope the above helps before I get you the image.

That'd be great Zanary. So from your drywall, including the wall brackets and 3 PWs, knowing what your total depth to the front edge of your red PW would be very helpful. That's the last missing dimension before I fire up my Skil saw.

Hi bob_p,
Here in the south Bay Area, I was told by our installers/designer that building code will NOT let us put them above the floor-mounted ones. I too wanted that initially but they said the PW's power switch cannot be higher than 6 feet off the ground, for safety/emergency reasons (?!). Bummer for me, but that's why I'm going with 3 stacked from the wall, one in front of each other. That's roughly 18" from the wall, maybe 19" and that'll leave enough room for our MX next to it.

Also, if more than one is stacked in front of another, they have to be supported from the bottom, due to their heavy weight. If only one is being mounted onto the wall, they can be ABOVE the floor/stand.

Good luck with your installation. Hope ours get installed within the next couple of weeks.

We're planning for 4 PowerWalls - 2 on the floor, and if possible two mounted above - to provide more space around the S we park on that side of the garage. If that doesn't work, we should be able to fit two pairs of floor mounted PowerWalls on the passenger side of the S, mounted far enough forward not to impact opening the front passenger door - just won't be able to walk around the front portion of the car on that side.

Waiting to get the final plans to confirm how we'll be able to do the mounts...

Do you see any issue or concerns about this design? Is there anything else that I should plan for in an installation where 3 are stacked 1 in front of the other? I need the stand to be able to support a minimum total of 750 lbs (250 x 3 PWs).
Powerwalls%20stand%20design%20with%20optional%20fans.jpg
Given the weight, you probably want more than 3/4" plywood on top. Probably 1 1/4" flooring plywood. But instead of wood, if it were me, I would probably opt to build a form and pour a bit of concrete.

We're planning for 4 PowerWalls - 2 on the floor, and if possible two mounted above - to provide more space around the S we park on that side of the garage. If that doesn't work, we should be able to fit two pairs of floor mounted PowerWalls on the passenger side of the S, mounted far enough forward not to impact opening the front passenger door - just won't be able to walk around the front portion of the car on that side.

Waiting to get the final plans to confirm how we'll be able to do the mounts...

Someone posted the powerwall installation manual here in this section recently, and I downloaded it. I dont think you will be able to mount powerwalls above other powerwalls on the wall. I am not an expert by any means, but here is the text in the site requirements section:

Might want to take a look at the site requirements etc, so you are not surprised or asking for something that wont be able to be done.

Here is the manual again. I cant remember who posted it here recently but I grabbed a copy of it when they did...

Attachments

• Tesla Powerwall Installation Manual.pdf
    7.1 MB · Views: 187
  • Informative
Reactions: RoBoRaT
Given the weight, you probably want more than 3/4" plywood on top. Probably 1 1/4" flooring plywood. But instead of wood, if it were me, I would probably opt to build a form and pour a bit of concrete.
My approach would be to ensure that there are chunky legs and bracing positioned directly under the feet of the Powerwalls in which case the plywood top is only transferring compressive loads (assuming that the installers don't slide the PWs on from one end). You'll also need some generous cross-bracing to keep it all rigid and then chuck some earthquake loadings into the calculation.

Overall there will be about 1/2 ton of lithium batteries sitting on that platform and you don't want it collapsing. I'd personally be thinking of using concrete block walls at each end. If this are wide enough to be under the PW's feet then the top could still be plywood as the load in the middle isn't significant. Indeed, the top might not be needed.

Reactions: dhrivnak