Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY stand for 3 Powerwalls raised off the garage floor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is my 2 stack off a concrete wall.

Attachments

• 20191020_213619.jpg
    20191020_213619.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 212
  • 20191020_213707.jpg
    20191020_213707.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 146
Reactions: 365gtb4
So, if my single is 6" to the outer side, and the double stack is 12.5" off the wall then the separator is about .5"

I have a double stack next to a single stack off a concrete wall.

Perfect! Thank you so much! So based on your info, a stack of 3 should be 12.5 + 6.5 = 19" from the wall, including the hanging bracket for the 1st PW.

I'll do some research into the AC pad idea, but I'm needing the 3 PWs lifted 12 inches, so I'd have to stack them, plus I'd want them cut to the footprint size. Thanks for the idea, and the dimensions of your stacked PWs! Very much appreciate it!

Perfect! Thank you so much! So based on your info, a stack of 3 should be 12.5 + 6.5 = 19" from the wall, including the hanging bracket for the 1st PW.

I'll do some research into the AC pad idea, but I'm needing the 3 PWs lifted 12 inches, so I'd have to stack them, plus I'd want them cut to the footprint size. Thanks for the idea, and the dimensions of your stacked PWs! Very much appreciate it!
19 is the correct amount. Here is my 3 stack measurements from wall and I also got you the height from the garage floor when it’s sitting on it’s own legs.

Attachments

• 012541D7-37FA-4714-800D-BC9314BF774B.jpeg
    012541D7-37FA-4714-800D-BC9314BF774B.jpeg
    365 KB · Views: 144
  • F02C8240-AB8B-41B8-A64F-36AAFB16D0A1.jpeg
    F02C8240-AB8B-41B8-A64F-36AAFB16D0A1.jpeg
    288.4 KB · Views: 124
  • B4E4B630-AAEC-403E-9E57-34249C8DAB76.jpeg
    B4E4B630-AAEC-403E-9E57-34249C8DAB76.jpeg
    409.3 KB · Views: 155
Reactions: tracksyde
19 is the correct amount. Here is my 3 stack measurements from wall and I also got you the height from the garage floor when it’s sitting on it’s own legs.

Thanks for confirming Zanary! The 2 "spacers" were the X factor for what I'm doing (stand to be exact size of the PWs and match in color), but now knowing that it's 19" tells me everything I need to know to make the last and final cut with the buzz saw tomorrow.

Next steps:
Get dry 2x4s (or 2x6s, or 2x8s) for the additional bracing
Get flashing for the floor
Screw everything together
Paint to match the PWs
Tap my fingers while waiting for installation date to get assigned (hoping I'll find out tomorrow that they can do it within 2 weeks)

Thank you ALL that have helped me in this thread...this has been a fun, interesting, and exciting journey so far!

What is the reason for the maximum height above the ground to be 1m (39.4 inches) ?

Our ceiling is high enough (136") to accommodate vertically stacked PowerWalls.

The height of a single PowerWall is 1.15m (45.3"). If mounted above a floor mounted PW, the upper PW would likely need to be at least 57" (1.45m) from the floor.

Structurally, it shouldn't matter much in mounting at 39.4" or 57" from the floor. The difference might have an impact on mounting/dismounting or in servicing the PowerWall - likely requiring ladders or a platform.

Will check with our installer about this...

Last edited:
What is the reason for the maximum height above the ground to be 1m (39.4 inches) ?

If a PW is mounted on the floor, it would be 45.3 inches (1.15m) tall, plus the recommended 2" (.05m), that would put the bottom of the upper PowerWall at 47.3 inches (1.2m). The top of that PW (including the 2" air gap) would be 94.3 inches (2.4m).

The ceiling in our garage is 136 inches (3.4m), so there's plenty of vertical space on the wall to have 2 vertically stacked PowerWalls (with more than the minimum 2" gap).

Why can't the upper PW be mounted 8" higher than the specified 39.4"?

The only reason I can think of is concern about mounting/dismounting the PowerWall. With a 1m gap underneath, that may be low enough that installers can mount the PowerWall by standing on the floor - and anything higher might require using ladders or a small platform to mount/dismount the PowerWall from the wall bracket.

Will check with our installer about this...
At least in some locations, the power switch has to be located below a certain height. I believe it can't be higher than 7 feet from the floor.

Heard back from the installers - the 4 PowerWalls will now be installed on the floor inside the garage, probably in two double-PW stacks - and not attempt vertical stacking.

Oh well - seemed like an interesting idea to save a little floor space...

At least in some locations, the power switch has to be located below a certain height. I believe it can't be higher than 7 feet from the floor.

Additionally, having two 275lbs PWs on the same studs is considered too heavy for some city codes.

Someone said the power switch can't be too high for ADA reasons, but for fire safety reasons also, that upper switch needs to be easily accessible for anyone to shut it off in case of an emergency. Without requiring a stool. Hence the 6" clearance needed to the right of the PW also. I SO wish my installers would install them vertically on top of each other...that would have looked so cool!

Has anyone considered the seismic load on these assorted installation arrangements. My concern is for the floor mount units that appear to be unattached to anything.
I have only seen floor mounted free standing Powerwalls in Tesla press images. Every real installation I've seen pictures of has them secured to a wall as well as resting on the floor.

Reactions: diyguy and 365gtb4
Additionally, having two 275lbs PWs on the same studs is considered too heavy for some city codes.

Someone said the power switch can't be too high for ADA reasons, but for fire safety reasons also, that upper switch needs to be easily accessible for anyone to shut it off in case of an emergency. Without requiring a stool. Hence the 6" clearance needed to the right of the PW also. I SO wish my installers would install them vertically on top of each other...that would have looked so cool!
The vertical stacking is disallowed because the Powerwall attach to a wall system. The wall system is constructed per a typical wall depicted in house plans. The wall structure passes the Uniform Building Code. Now, mate the Powerwall to said wall structure. Now we have a Powerwall installation which had been UL tested and proven (two studs bearing weight of single PW). Simply said the vertical stacking is not tested nor verified. There is one way out which is to engineer a wall structure to accommodate vertical stacking (submit design, get city structural to buy off, build, and inspect). Tesla said this would need to be engineered and will be costly, and would be best to integrate for new home construction, which requires much forward thinking.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Heard back from the installers - the 4 PowerWalls will now be installed on the floor inside the garage, probably in two double-PW stacks - and not attempt vertical stacking.

Oh well - seemed like an interesting idea to save a little floor space...

Some jurisdictions are sticky about double stacking, but the Tesla rules as well as the NEC rules allow it. You will need an SE to sign off on it however. The manual tossed around here has outdated information.

Hi bob_p,
Here in the south Bay Area, I was told by our installers/designer that building code will NOT let us put them above the floor-mounted ones. I too wanted that initially but they said the PW's power switch cannot be higher than 6 feet off the ground, for safety/emergency reasons (?!).
Those switches can trivially be extended down under six feet. They aren't carrying power leads, just logic leads. If what you said is their actual stated reason, you can easily modify the plans to extend the switch (with engineer approval from Tesla, something I think is possible today; this prediction is only good until December 31, 2019). While not a great curiosity for Tesla, doing so may be mildly curious for their engineers, so they might be willing to specify an extension for that switch. This is especially true right now (and more so in the last two years), so I would expect that curiosity to expire soon, if it hasn't already. But I suspect we will see a recurring theme about this for years to come.

P.S., this is on the back of a lot of changes coming with 2020 NFPA-855.