Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lying media gets called out again.. Thanks to TWITTER !!

FskeDiCWYBAJ82E

Could we please postpone discussing that topic (directly or indirectly) until the charges are made public on Tuesday?

Meanwhile I have another example of media getting called out: FoxNews by Dominion Voting Systems going to trial. "Thanks to" our justice system.

FskeDiCWYBAJ82E

Not that anyone cares but this is why I have never found Twitter helpful in any way.

1. OK, so you want to find out whether Alvin Bragg is "Soros Backed." Personally, he appears to be a Democrat DA in a supermajority Democratic city, so I would not really waste any time seeing if the Koch brothers made contributions, but anyway.

2. CNN does the research for me, and sets forth all of the connections between Soros, and, by the way, Soros's family, contributions to both Bragg's actual campaign and a PAC which supports all sorts of Dem campaigns. Quell suprise. Does the sun still rise in the East?

3. I don't know who Ben Collins is, but I guess for those too lazy to spend 45 seconds to one minute reading the entire CNN article, he tweets a summary of the article in 140 characters or less.

4. Someone else then tweets that Colllins' summary is wrong, by using as evidence, not an actual quote, but yet another summary of what the article says!!!

5. I then get to read a post by some dude saying 3 and 4 are proof of catching the media lying.

Are you f-ing kidding me? Its bad enough that in today's "anybody can post anything" world I have to read two supposed articles on the same topic, but now I'm supposed to take seriously two tweets on the same article that is barely a page long? What is it? The average attention span is like twelve seconds?

This isn't proof "the media" is "lying" about anything, any Republican can use the CNN article to show the blindingly obvious, that Bragg is a Democrat.

Its proof that in this instance twitter was worthless. That's what it proves. It also is evidence that people actually think a 140 character summary of a piece is in some way equivalent to the piece itself.

FskeDiCWYBAJ82E

Lol, this actually an example of why readers should dig deeper and not just trust Twitter to tell you the whole truth. If anyone had read the actual article and gone beyond believing only what Twitter says, they would have found:

Most of the criticism of Bragg appears to stem from support, and later political pressure, he received from the racial justice group Color of Change, which tries to influence government and corporate policy around the country. Soros donated $1 million to the Color of Change PAC in 2021. The Soros-funded Open Society Policy Center also piled $7 million into the group’s separate 501(c)(4) arm that year.

Yet, those familiar with the contributions said that the money the billionaire and his organization gave to Color of Change was not earmarked to back Bragg’s campaign, or intended to be used in an effort to pressure the DA.

There is also no indication the Open Society Policy Center’s donation was directed toward an eventual Color of Change campaign to influence Bragg.

The funding from Soros’ nonprofit was not targeted toward the campaign to support McCarter, the Color of Change official told CNBC. Open Society’s website says the group’s donation was intended “to support [Color of Change]’s social welfare activities” over the course of five years.

It is not just the Collins summary is wrong, but the headlines of that CNBC article is wrong. As you know the majority of readers just stop at the headlines.

Manhattan DA Alvin Bragg’s ties to billionaire George Soros are not as close as Republicans claim​

The headlines should have said,

Soros funded Bragg’s election through a nonprofit”

It is not just the Collins summary is wrong, but the headlines of that CNBC article is wrong. As you know the majority of readers just stop at the headlines.

Manhattan DA Alvin Bragg’s ties to billionaire George Soros are not as close as Republicans claim​

The headlines should have said,

Soros funded Bragg’s election through a nonprofit”
It’s ironic that the Pro-Twitter fans use a mainstream media’s article to claim the mainstream media is lying. If they’re lying, how can you depend on their article as proof they are lying? 🤦🏻‍♂️

It’s ironic that the Pro-Twitter fans use a mainstream media’s article to claim the mainstream media is lying. If they’re lying, how can you depend on their article as proof they are lying? 🤦🏻‍♂️
Yeah, if the claim is that MSM is unreliable and fails to do even basic research, why would you use them as a source?

FskeDiCWYBAJ82E

Your view of Twitter is naive at best.
In this very instance Community notes commented the CNBC news with... another CNBC news. So if CNBC is always lying like the Cretans¹, who should we trust?
So Twitter is alwys true and media are always lying? so we won't have any source any more, 'cause media are sources and can never be trusted? Twitter will end up using only tweets as sources?

Media lies, sometimes. Some more than others.
People lie, sometimes. Some more than others.
People are extremely partisans, biased, and Twitter is just a tech platform, doesn't change human nature. I've been working in Wikipedia for 10+ years and I can tell you no amount of tech stack can change that. Sure, community notes is a nice feature, and I like it.
But what will happen when Elon says something about Tesla and community notes rebuttal cites Reuters? Or the Wall Street Journal?
People will always need to use their critical thinking.

¹ Liar paradox - Wikipedia

Not that anyone cares but this is why I have never found Twitter helpful in any way.

1. OK, so you want to find out whether Alvin Bragg is "Soros Backed." Personally, he appears to be a Democrat DA in a supermajority Democratic city, so I would not really waste any time seeing if the Koch brothers made contributions, but anyway.

2. CNN does the research for me, and sets forth all of the connections between Soros, and, by the way, Soros's family, contributions to both Bragg's actual campaign and a PAC which supports all sorts of Dem campaigns. Quell suprise. Does the sun still rise in the East?

3. I don't know who Ben Collins is, but I guess for those too lazy to spend 45 seconds to one minute reading the entire CNN article, he tweets a summary of the article in 140 characters or less.

4. Someone else then tweets that Colllins' summary is wrong, by using as evidence, not an actual quote, but yet another summary of what the article says!!!

5. I then get to read a post by some dude saying 3 and 4 are proof of catching the media lying.

Are you f-ing kidding me? Its bad enough that in today's "anybody can post anything" world I have to read two supposed articles on the same topic, but now I'm supposed to take seriously two tweets on the same article that is barely a page long? What is it? The average attention span is like twelve seconds?

This isn't proof "the media" is "lying" about anything, any Republican can use the CNN article to show the blindingly obvious, that Bragg is a Democrat.

Its proof that in this instance twitter was worthless. That's what it proves. It also is evidence that people actually think a 140 character summary of a piece is in some way equivalent to the piece itself.
One useful Twitter rule of thumb: It’s never, ever, ever, going to be worth your time to dig into any claim about George Soros. You know the lie is in there, and life is just too short to dig around and figure out precisely where they put it.

Elon seems intent on making Twitter irrelevant

The Los Angeles Times said that the organization won’t pay for verification on Twitter because the app is “not as reliable as it once was,” per CNN.

Managing editor Sara Yasin told staffers in an email, “Verification no longer establishes authority or credibility, instead it will only mean that someone has paid for a Twitter Blue subscription.”

The Washington Post echoed similar sentiments, saying that an account verification doesn’t hold the same authority it did before.

Elon seems intent on making Twitter irrelevant

Do these big newspapers still have websites? Or have they gone the way of the dinosaur like the printed newspaper that American kids used to throw onto lawns in the movies?

Twitter is shadow banning the war in Ukraine.

I had to double check this in Github. Sure enough it's there.

Trying to look into it more I see this.

Hope we get some clarification on this. It sort of looks like Musk is providing cover for Putin.

Status
Not open for further replies.