Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Emergency Lane Departure - False Positives

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just been updated to 2019.16.2 yesterday. I have had 3 false positives of the Emergency Lane Departure feature panicking.

Twice yesterday panicking at vehicles clearly in another lane. One of which sent me outside of my lane, and very close to a Semi.

Today, it panicked at an incomplete Arrow in my lane. Got this one on camera, I;m definitely in my lane and it flinches at this arrow.

upload_2019-5-23_18-32-29.png

Anyone else had any false positives?

Don't have it yet. Do you know if it is the emergency LDA or the regular lane depart (the one you can turn off) that is triggering?

It was the emergency one, my hands were on the wheel, had just steered off of the freeway onto the slip about 5 seconds before, had just swapped indicators from Right to Left a couple of seconds before, as going left at the lights.

No prior warning, simultaneously loud beeps, flashes something on the screen, and steers. The Sound and Flash on the screen actually take your attention AWAY from the road, and too the screen wondering why it's beeping at you this time.

Only had to use that junction, as NoA had panicked at the interchange and after waiting in the queue for 5 minutes, patiently in line, decided to bail out of the right, and straight back into traffic, a car length or two before the divide.

NOT a good day today.

It was the emergency one, my hands were on the wheel, had just steered off of the freeway onto the slip about 5 seconds before, had just swapped indicators from Right to Left a couple of seconds before, as going left at the lights.

No prior warning, simultaneously loud beeps, flashes something on the screen, and steers. The Sound and Flash on the screen actually take your attention AWAY from the road, and too the screen wondering why it's beeping at you this time.

Only had to use that junction, as NoA had panicked at the interchange and after waiting in the queue for 5 minutes, patiently in line, decided to bail out of the right, and straight back into traffic, a car length or two before the divide.

NOT a good day today.

Sounds bad. Guess I won't be installing this release. Thanks for the heads up.

Sounds bad. Guess I won't be installing this release. Thanks for the heads up.

Emergency lane departure is off by default. You can simply install 2019.16.2 and not enable the option.

Also I don’t recall ever experiencing a road like in the pic from @Paddy3101. Not sure about other places, but definitely not common in the Midwest.

Emergency lane departure is off by default. You can simply install 2019.16.2 and not enable the option.

Also I don’t recall ever experiencing a road like in the pic from @Paddy3101. Not sure about other places, but definitely not common in the Midwest.

Emergency lane departure is ON by default.

You didn't see it on because you we're likely looking at it when the car was in park, and you didn't have it in drive. As soon as you put your foot on the brake and select drive it turns on.

It only allows you to disable it for that drive.

Just been updated to 2019.16.2 yesterday. I have had 3 false positives of the Emergency Lane Departure feature panicking.

Twice yesterday panicking at vehicles clearly in another lane. One of which sent me outside of my lane, and very close to a Semi.

Today, it panicked at an incomplete Arrow in my lane. Got this one on camera, I;m definitely in my lane and it flinches at this arrow.

View attachment 411400

Anyone else had any false positives?

Sounds just like NoA freaking on both arrows and the common "which lane should I be in" when the road widens without dividers as in your photo. Maybe the same AI, now correcting on everyone that enables it. Oh that doesn't sound good...

Last week (on 2019.12, Model 3), I noticed a scenario where the lanes diverge but, because a car is in front and hides the divider lines, my car seeks middle of the road typically. When the car in front clears the center line, my car jumps into one of the lanes suddenly.

My concern is that there are general rules on following lines that don't work all the time. I don't see these as edge cases as these are so common! The car can't decide which lane to pick last second because it likes to put itself between 2 lines no matter how far apart. It will fail routinely when the dividing lines come into view. If they have the exit lanes mapped, just go to center or follow turn signal or Navigation. Either way, pick the lane in advance Tesla.

Reactions: OPRCE
I reported this to Tesla Support today. Spent almost an hour with them on the phone. I dowloaded 2019.16.2 last night. The car panicked several times on my way to work this morning. A couple were downright scary. All of them, in my opinion, were false positives, but the most distressing thing is that I have no way to disable this feature. Yes, you can scroll through the menu and disable every time you put the car in drive, but it resets itself back to 'enabled' every time you put the car in park. I'm begging them to find some internal control that tech support can set in my car to permanently deactivate Emergency Lane Assist.

To clarify, this is not the "Lane Assist" feature, I have that turned off. This is clearly the Emergency Lane Assist. I was not using any auto steer or cruise control at the time.

1st time: driving on a narrow two way country road at 45mph. I passed some trash bins near the curb on my passenger side. My Model 3 panicked as if the bins were a car, and yanked the wheel to the left, and I slightly crossed over the center line (INTO ONCOMING TRAFFIC) (Fortunately the oncoming car was quite a ways back). This was a very unnerving feeling, that my car is going to jump at its own shadow. I immediately remembered the software update, pulled over, and disabled the feature.

2nd time: Driving through a parking lot (well under 45mph), I crossed over some white lines towards the end of a parking row. The car thought I was departing some sort of lane and yanked the wheel left and right, causing my trajectory to move left and right about half a foot in either direction. Mostly I was surprised because I didn't yet realize this feature re-enables itself (which it tells you in a notification message when you turn it off). If I had been cutting close to a parking block, I might have run over it.

3rd time: Narrow country road, two-way traffic. An oncoming car caused my car to panic and yanked the wheel to the right. Again, not the direction I want to go (with there being a steep ravine about 12" beyond the white line to the right). Not a good feeling.

Laurence.
2019 Model 3 Dual Motor Enhanced Autopilot

I reported this to Tesla Support today. Spent almost an hour with them on the phone. I dowloaded 2019.16.2 last night. The car panicked several times on my way to work this morning. A couple were downright scary. All of them, in my opinion, were false positives, but the most distressing thing is that I have no way to disable this feature. Yes, you can scroll through the menu and disable every time you put the car in drive, but it resets itself back to 'enabled' every time you put the car in park. I'm begging them to find some internal control that tech support can set in my car to permanently deactivate Emergency Lane Assist.

To clarify, this is not the "Lane Assist" feature, I have that turned off. This is clearly the Emergency Lane Assist. I was not using any auto steer or cruise control at the time.

1st time: driving on a narrow two way country road at 45mph. I passed some trash bins near the curb on my passenger side. My Model 3 panicked as if the bins were a car, and yanked the wheel to the left, and I slightly crossed over the center line (INTO ONCOMING TRAFFIC) (Fortunately the oncoming car was quite a ways back). This was a very unnerving feeling, that my car is going to jump at its own shadow. I immediately remembered the software update, pulled over, and disabled the feature.

2nd time: Driving through a parking lot (well under 45mph), I crossed over some white lines towards the end of a parking row. The car thought I was departing some sort of lane and yanked the wheel left and right, causing my trajectory to move left and right about half a foot in either direction. Mostly I was surprised because I didn't yet realize this feature re-enables itself (which it tells you in a notification message when you turn it off). If I had been cutting close to a parking block, I might have run over it.

3rd time: Narrow country road, two-way traffic. An oncoming car caused my car to panic and yanked the wheel to the right. Again, not the direction I want to go (with there being a steep ravine about 12" beyond the white line to the right). Not a good feeling.

Laurence.

Sounds great. Yeah, I won’t be installing 16.2 just yet. I suspect 16.3 will be available soon! Reminds me to stick to my policy of giving every release that becomes available to install a 7-day “bake time.”

Here in Europe we have lots of two-way streets with "bicycle suggestion lanes" (different colour -usually reddish- on both sides of the road, no markings or a dashed line) -- in the bike-friendly Netherlands those are often to narrow to cross a vehicle on the gray between the bike suggestion lanes.

You're supposed to drive over the suggestion lanes to cross other vehicles if there are no bikes, or just slow down behind the bikes if there are and then pass the bikes on the grey when there is no vehicle moving in the other direction.

Emergency Lane Departure will not let you drive on the Bike Suggestion lanes, but will also not let you do it unless you really ignore it and override it when you HAVE to in order to avoid crashing into a vehicle coming the other way...

As far as I'm concerned it's not even a Beta feature. And I'd really appreciate being able to disable it on the spot with a voice command.

Emergency lane departure is ON by default.

You didn't see it on because you we're likely looking at it when the car was in park, and you didn't have it in drive. As soon as you put your foot on the brake and select drive it turns on.

It only allows you to disable it for that drive.

Ah, you are right I was in park. Appreciate the correction!

I just installed 2019.16.2 last night and already had it nudge my car back into a lane on the highway on this morning's commute where it previously would have just vibrated the wheel. I went a bit over the outside white line while passing a semi (not using AP), so I consider this situation to be properly corrective. No false positives so far in 2 trips both with mixed highway/street driving.

Reactions: Richt

Laurence.

The first one I had, jumped at a car/truck passing me in the left lane, and pushed me right onto the right hand line, with a semi in the lane to the right. couldn't have been much more than 12inches between me and the semi's wheels. Don't have that on cam, as didn't save it.

Now, if this is going to be how it behaves, I may well just turn on Track Mode and have some fun. ;-)

Or I may well just dump it at the Service Center and they can keep it till it's fixed. It's just not safe to drive like this.

It sounds as if it may have been doing what it is supposed to. If you get too close to the line and the turn signal is not on, it’s going to bring you back. If you are one of the people that thinks the car is dangerous when it stays in the middle as it passes a car, this will probably happen a lot. As you are already driving close to the line.
It’s easy to turn off or beep only in Kane Departure Assistant.

It can be a little jolting, but so far it is doing what I expect it to.
As with most all of the autopilot stuff, people often feel the car is wrong, when indeed it is safe and working as designed

It’s easy to turn off or beep only in Kane Departure Assistant.

This has been covered; the reported issue is the Emergency Lane Departure Assist, which can only be turned off on a drive-by-drive basis.

This has been reported by a few people, so I assume it's tuned to be a little too sensitive and we'll see rollout of 16.3 soon. There is no way to explain the OP's "flinch" at an arrow as desirable behavior.

Last edited:
the reported issue is the Emergency Lane Departure Assist, which can only be turned off on a drive-by-drive basis.
I am on this software release but I can't even find the specific setting called 'Emergency Lane Departure Assist', I see lane departure warning still but that is it.

And what moron is in charge at Tesla (they could be called a lot worse) when a feature like this which appears to be very dangerous is pushed to cars as an 'opt out' function and always enabled by default.