Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feature Request: Subzero Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Yinn

Nov 15, 2016
Behind you
A large part of the country got blanketed with a snow storm over the past couple of days. Having driven in the fresh white stuff as well as the resulting ice/slush; I found the car performs great. However, I did find that I needed to make some adjustments from my default settings that improved the experience so I plan on submitting a feature request for a Subzero Mode that enables all of this with one toggle.

- Enable Chill Mode
- Enable Slip Start
- Set Suspension Setting on High/Very High
- Disable Automatic Lowering
- Turn on heated wipers if equipped
- Disable Geolocation storage of suspension settings upon setting to High/Very High

Does any one else have stuff to add to it?

I like it.
One comment, driving in very high is rough on the CV joints, if you are going fast enough for auto lowering to kick in, you may not need to be in very high. Perhaps a return to very high when you slow instead?

I like it.
One comment, driving in very high is rough on the CV joints, if you are going fast enough for auto lowering to kick in, you may not need to be in very high. Perhaps a return to very high when you slow instead?

Good suggestion!

On the S, the geotagged suspension locations are only for high/very high with Normal and Low being speed triggered. So why would want to disable moving up to High/Very High? Or does the X behave differently than the S in this regard?

It behaves very much the same, but it is possible to hit 35 mph for a moment to trigger a lowering down from Very High to a High; but then slow back down to 5-10mph in deeper snow/branch debris, plowed piles at intersections, etc. For me, the clearance was just piece of mind when going through some of it; so I would once again hit the Very High button; followed by the X to disable location memory. Of course what @mongo suggested would solve this as well, just have it kick back to the original setting when you slow down.

Reactions: Cyclone
It would be practical if, in addition to the automatic lowering, you could set a lower bound speed for which the suspension would automatically rise. Thus when you slow down for speed bumps (or snow) etc. you wouldn't need to manually rise the suspension, instead it would be automatic. I would probably set auto rise at approximately 30mph and auto lower at 45mph.

It would be practical if, in addition to the automatic lowering, you could set a lower bound speed for which the suspension would automatically rise. Thus when you slow down for speed bumps (or snow) etc. you wouldn't need to manually rise the suspension, instead it would be automatic. I would probably set auto rise at approximately 30mph and auto lower at 45mph.

Just be careful with this. The higher you are in your suspension, the less travel/play room you have in the suspension when you go over bumps. I used to have Very High set for all the speed bumps at work and I would get a sensation that I was bottoming out as I went over them, which didn’t make sense. When I had service look into it, they confirmed that I was essentially “bottoming out” the suspension. Switching to High or Notmal for these bumps eliminated the problem.

I'm pretty sure my non-PUP is equipped with rear seat heaters (seems so by the amount of electrical components under the rear seat), and possibly even the steering wheel is heated? If all Xs are already equipped, open up for enabling this through purchase :)

Also a great feature for those frosty & snowy mornings would be a setting to automatically park the wipers in service mode, often they are covered in thick ice. Also possibility to enable individual seat heaters, rear defroster and heated side mirrors.